Health/Accident Insurance

jubby

I had a medical insurance with AIA a couple of years ago but let it lapse. Everything was in Thai anyway , so I wasn't totally sure what cover I had.

I'm posting in the Chiang Rai forum rather that the Insurance forum as I was after local experience. We do seem to have quite a bit of local experience unfortunately. The Hospitals are a lot cheaper than Bangkok I suspect too.

I'm more concerned with Accident Insurance as I ride Motorbikes quite often.

So who has what Insurance and what do you recommend.

Touchy subject health insurance.

Those that don't have it avoid the topic, those that do have it avoid the topic rather than admit what they pay for it.

Not drinking beer or riding motorbikes would be an enormous saving on the premiums I suppose. :whistling:

I guess your right scea. although I didnt give em much chance. Found something on a Motorcyclists Forum/group.

Seems appropriate as the Bike will probably get me before the drink ;)

Touchy subject health insurance.

Those that don't have it avoid the topic, those that do have it avoid the topic rather than admit what they pay for it.

Not drinking beer or riding motorbikes would be an enormous saving on the premiums I suppose. :whistling:

I guess your right scea. although I didnt give em much chance. Found something on a Motorcyclists Forum/group.

Seems appropriate as the Bike will probably get me before the drink ;)

If you are hurt on the bike and it is licenced you are covered for 14500 baht. That was enough to get my broken fingers fixed at a public hospital.

Thanks Harrry, I always thought the Insurance was for third party only. Its nice to know.

THe 14500 is a no fault type of insurance....fairly automatic...the hospital told me about it, wife got a police report and filled in one form and it was taken off my bill. Higher coverage involves fault and claim.

Edited by harrry

so i don't suppose anybody knows an english speaking insurance broker in chiangrai broker in chiang rai

As a Thai Visa member you have access to the Thai Visa Brokerage service. No need to drive around looking for a office where they might(?) speak English as everything can be done from the comfort of your house over the internet :)

Please click Here for a quote.

You need to be careful if there's some one else involved in the accident and they are seriously injured.

My neighbour, who was driving a car, had to pay out substantially over the insurance cover when he knocked one of the village lads off his motocy.

The 14500 isn't enough in my not so Humble. Doesn't his Car insurance cover the incident ? I'd want mine to.

My wife told me that in Thailand there is a blanket insurance rule that if you go into the back of another car YOU are the one in the wrong regardless of what actually happened........so if a car in front of you suddenly stops without warning because they see bananas 1 baht cheaper than normal or because they dropped their beer or telephone etc, it was YOUR fault.

She is normally right about these things, but this one I really hope isn't true.... anybody know?

My wife told me that in Thailand there is a blanket insurance rule that if you go into the back of another car YOU are the one in the wrong regardless of what actually happened........so if a car in front of you suddenly stops without warning because they see bananas 1 baht cheaper than normal or because they dropped their beer or telephone etc, it was YOUR fault.

She is normally right about these things, but this one I really hope isn't true.... anybody know?

Well it applies in Australia..You are supposed to keep a suitable stopping distance...of course if I ever try it a few cars or motorcycles allways fill that space.

Well it applies in Australia..You are supposed to keep a suitable stopping distance...of course if I ever try it a few cars or motorcycles allways fill that space.

It's a fair enough law, I've been hit from behind, once in Thailand when the father-in-law's car stalled at the lights. The women who hit me was actually forced into my car by someone who smashed into the back of her, looking at the green lights rather than the car in front which wasn't moving.

They told my Mrs I should wear the lot, "your farang boyfriend caused it by stalling his car" (the motor actually seized up) but some crash repair guys arrived with a truck and towed us away before the police arrived. Never heard any more about it.

It's a fair enough law, I've been hit from behind, once in Thailand when the father-in-law's car stalled at the lights. The women who hit me was actually forced into my car by someone who smashed into the back of her, looking at the green lights rather than the car in front which wasn't moving.

They told my Mrs I should wear the lot, "your farang boyfriend caused it by stalling his car" (the motor actually seized up) but some crash repair guys arrived with a truck and towed us away before the police arrived. Never heard any more about it.

Same law in the UK, it's ALWAYS your fault if you hit someone in front of you, doesn't matter why they stopped, you should be able to stop too. Even when I hit the guy in front of me who had no brake lights, of course, after I hit him he definitely had no brake lights, no brake light fittings, no bumper, no number plate, blah blah, was fairly close to having no teeth too :)