Big Swedish Vulvos, Whats The Crack ?

Velocette

Many years ago I owned three 240's and later a 740, all bought cheapish and second hand with big miles, none of which had problems. I felt they offered comfort and protection, obviously performance handling and image were not expected. So apart from being a little thirsty and some wind noise at speed (if we can call it that ) I had no real complaints. Since then I've become aware of the bad press that Volvo have been getting regarding reliability and component failures, with the internet allowing disgruntled owners to air their views so effectively. Some blame the take over of Volvo by Ford as part of the problem ( the more recent Geely China take over being too early to effect the company )

What surprises me is that there are five Volvos in my small Soi, I also see quite a few driving around Samutprakarn and there are many in the local Car mags, where Volvo LPG conversions seem quite popular. Yet I struggle to find any info regarding the pro's and con's of Volvo ownership on TV, is this because they are considered a little dull and boring in the Land Of Fortuna, in short what's the crack with the big Volvo

Hi

Never had one but friend of mine got/had one in BKK, he told me it had a lot of electrical problems, he talked to a few in the workshop and they think it was the hot climate, some said humid, but its rain every day in Sweden so i dont buy that one. He acutely complained to Volvo that cruise control did not work over, (i think it was 220km/h) they told him it was for a safety reason

In the UK l had a 760 V6. One of the best cars l owned but as you say if you get an electrical problem it is a nightmare. I had one and found everything worked on resistances, in the end l had to bypass the problem and rewire, but l am a numnut with auto electrics. Believe it or not, the car was getting on in years but Volvo sent me a recall notice to fix an electrical problem, yes, the one l had. :)

Well . .Lucky old you ! . . lucky that you could afford to run a V6, petrol guzzling head that you are. I feel I've had a deprived motorhood, never even had a V4, although as a yoof doing security at a garage in trendy Kings Road, the night watchman, a real character, would give me the keys to a large Ford privately garaged there, and say " Your young. take that out and enjoy yourself, but be back before 6" . .Can't be sure of the model, but it was big, maybe a Zepher or Zodiac, anyway I think it was a V4, with a gear shift on the steering column ?

Had an electrical gremlin too in a 240, smoke came out from behind the dash, quick thinking gf threw her soft drink at it before I could stop her, but it worked a treat, never smoked again.

The V6s were nowhere near as reliable as the 4 cylinders.

most of the Volvos I see here are very old - 7 series etc and even Volvos don't last forever.

BTW - you can get some really fast Volvos - how about 200 km/h - with a chest of drawers on the roof???

Big Swedish Vulvos, Whats The Crack?

Typo. Do you mean :

Big Swedish Vulvas, Whats The Crack?

Me too!, I thought at first a play on words!. One for the spelling/ grammar police. Volvo I suggest.

Playing golf with an Aussie up here and after smashing a long drive down the middle of the fairway he said "strewth thats a blondie"

Me - "Whats that?"

"fair cr**k down the middle"

most of the Volvos I see here are very old - 7 series etc and even Volvos don't last forever.

BTW - you can get some really fast Volvos - how about 200 km/h - with a chest of drawers on the roof???

The PRV V6 is an od engine. It was developed by Renault, Peugeot and Volvo as a 90degree V8. When oilcrisis hit the world early 70s they cut off 2 cylinders to make it a 90 degree V6. Volvo replaced it with a 3000cc inline six around 1990, Volvo 960, an engine still in use. Peugeot and Renault kept on using it until recently.

Present V8 in Volvo X90 is developed by Yamaha

The PRV V6 is an od engine. It was developed by Renault, Peugeot and Volvo as a 90degree V8. When oilcrisis hit the world early 70s they cut off 2 cylinders to make it a 90 degree V6. Volvo replaced it with a 3000cc inline six around 1990, Volvo 960, an engine still in use. Peugeot and Renault kept on using it until recently.

Present V8 in Volvo X90 is developed by Yamaha

Learn something every day, l didn't know it was to be a V8. It is a beautiful engine, bit complicated, l mean cylinder liners with rubber water seals etc and it was a bit low on grunt, perhaps cos the missing 2 cylinders. My V6 engine did around 200,000 miles with only new timing and oil pump chain replacement, and front oil seals. Oh yes, injectors cleaned. Would cruise at 100 MPH all day. :)

it is complicated. some of them lasted forever, some where major problems and didnt last 100k km. De Lorean used this engine in their stainless steel gullwing:)