Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

Hi, im starting a new group of pigs soon. Building a new farm etc, but i have 1 question i wanted to breed pure duroc pigs, but my m8 who has a farm with 30 sows said thats a bad idea and its better to mix them with landrace or greatwhite. Personally i like the look of durocs and there mother instincts. The main thing im scared of is that Thai people prefer pink pigs over all others. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just wait til you dehair a slaughtered duroc. Looks just the same as a white pig. The meat is better too. I had "pure" durocs, they were great pigs. Just keep the gene pool fresh and you will be fine. They are fast growing initially but both white breeds will usually beat them to 100 kgs.

• Like 1

Hi Henk. Are you planning to sell the piglets or raise them to 100kg? Are you planning to Farrow 10 at the same time? If you raise them you need a big farm.

And who do you plan to sell them to?

I'm my area (Khorat) there are not many. Pure Duroc available. I like them and the meat buyers like .them as well since they have a good amount of red meat compared to fat. Also male pigs can be raised as boars (The prefered option in Thailand to mate a 50%Large white/ 50% landrace).

The one farm I know on my area who raises pure Durocs is very quickly sold out and sells above marketprices. And it's a small farm ! BTW are you Dutch? I am.

Sent from my i-mobile i-style 7.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by revar

We have just started a Facebook page on our farm. I have posted some feed mixtures based on rice, now when the rice is so cheap.

WanphenFarm

BTW, We just sold 12 pigs at 76 bath/Kg. They did't event try to lower the price. I hope this price level will stand.

Edited by jompa67
  • Like 2

Hi

i bought 11 piglets about two month ago,

looking at them now about six of them are into the 70kgs range, another three are a little lighter at 60kg + maybe,

but but i have two looking very light on, there bodies look slim and the skin seems paler,no fat, they have lose skin on there arss, its just not filling up,

one in perticular [[ im not joking ]] looks like it has depression ,, it lays in the corner like its scared, when i put food in the bin it will eat but never like the rest of them then it goes back in the corner lays down and shivers, even when the sun is shining and the floors are dry,

it did have / has still got.. ,, a skin complaint,, i got the vet to it and he gave it a jab a few weeks ago ,, it clearing the spots but the pig isnt growing like the rest ..

Does it know something the others dont know !!

Jompa67 where are you located ,, what area,

Regards mike

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes im dutch, im planning to sell them both as piglets and at 100 kg. Im currently building my farm it should be big enough to hold as much duroc as i want its about 12 rai. Selling them will be up to my wife and she has many pigs sold even before the farm is ready haha. Also i would be the only1 in buriram with pure duroc and i have 4 orders for boars alrdy. Cant wait to start :)

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

BTW, We just sold 12 pigs at 76 bath/Kg. They did't event try to lower the price. I hope this price level will stand.

It won't ! the last i heard, they are pushing it up to 80... w00t.gif Due to supply & demand.

Same goes to my catfishes, there's already a shortage in supply. I'm hogging my 100'000 catfishes for another month awaiting farmgate price adjustment. whistling.gif

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

Our sow supplier told us that the real farm gate price is 80 bath/kg down in BKK area, but government have problem to announce that high price. Same as for broken rice, list price is just above 9 bath but we have been offering 10 ton for 7 bath/kg (before barging). Our sow supplier think this price will stand for long time due to the fact in PRRS problem in CP farms.

We are located 80 km north of Korat on the way to Konken, in a province called Ampue PhiMai. Check following link for a map. https://www.facebook.com/wanphen.farm/info

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's been so quiet I give you pigsters an update on our farm in case your interested.

01-02

Our first 5 Gilts arrived the 27th at 2300 pm from Betagro Hybrid international. Sourced from their pak-chong farm.

4 largewhite-landrace hybrids of 90-94 kg. 15,14,13 and 13 teats. +. 1 largewhite of 125kg with 12 teats.

All with body scores of 3. They are all very friendly and easy to handle. They stood quiet while injecting amoxyl (preventive). They eat well (Betagro 306) and come to me when I stand at the gate. They like to get scratched behind the ears or on their flanks/backs).

One of the lw-lr came into oestrus on the 30th more then 2 weeks before the expected date (backpressure test positive). 2More lw-lr today (2+3 weeks ahead of schedule) and the largewhite also today (as scheduled). The boar is housed within a 20 meter radius.

Nice to know that they get into oestrus easily.

They have all been vaccinated against SFV, FMV, PRV and ARV

The sales guy advice waiting 2weeks with PRRS vaccination to get them to get used to the new farm.

17-02

moved the boar opposite to the sows a week ago. All are very exited.

The Betagro vet came by and likes them. Will be visiting monthly and provide the vacination schedule.

The LW came in heat for the second time today and the last. Lw-lr also. All are eating well, but Have reduced their feed to 2.5 kg/day of 306 to get a bcs of 2.5 Feeding 3 times a day.

The farm is now a closed farm with no visitors allowed near the pens. Boot dipping basins at the gate and at the entrance to the pen area.

I always love reading your contributions and hope this topic takes of again. even with IA and RBH out of the pig game we can still learn a lot from each other.

• Like 2

hi pigsters,

well im back in scotland working so mac my wife is looking after our farm,

she,s one hell of a wife, she takes care of the pigs, collects the duck eggs, lets my pigeons out for a fly,

here are some pics of the piglets she went and collected in jan,

we have 7 sows again to breed our own again, macs idea, i said to her more work for you love,

but her answer was you work hard away from us so ill work hard here,

she says shes going to send more pics when she has her garden looking beautiful.

take care all

jake

ps and the pic of the roller door is on our new barn we had built when i was at home,

yes mac sorted that out too,,lol,

she got it for 12,800 bht fitted, 4x3mtr

post-32351-0-20844600-1392672581_thumb.j

post-32351-0-22788300-1392672610_thumb.j

post-32351-0-22538300-1392672639_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hi,

a few weeks ago i posted about flies,,

well i found out it was,,, self inflicted ,, What i was doing was wrong ,,

the land the sty is on ,, is very bad ground mostly clay with a kind of ironstone running through it ,,no good for crops

we have two dams also 40mts x 20 mts

when cleaning out i was bucketing the waste and digging holes in the ground and filling the holes with the waste and covering up,,

and doing it over a number of weeks trying to inprove the land hoping to plant elephant grass ?? which i have seen near us,, on another pig farm

what i was doing was creating fly breading beds i didnt know at the time ,, but i do now,,

so iv had to net all the way around the sty 25mts x 16mts and i bug out all the pig waste that i could get to ,, its a lot better now

Also iv dug in one pipe line to each dam for the washeout water, if i fill any buckets with waste i put the bucket into the dam also ,, not into the ground

i would like to bag the dry waist and sell it later or use it on the rice plot ,, but im not sure if it will create more of a fly problem

what is the best way to compost the waste,

if i bag it fresh will the flies still get to it ,

Sold 5 at 76bht ,, could have sold them 4 times,,

paid deposit for two lots 11,, and a 9 ,, but the price for piglets has gone up also to 1,400- 1,500

still got 47 ,,

regards mike

hi mike,

what we do with the <deleted> is just take the hard stuff out, into the barrow, tip it on our land in patches and let the chickens spread it about and eat the maggots of the flies its works for us and is good for our land, like you when our land is better ill sell the poo,

as for washing, we wash out after cleaning and it goes strait into our pond,

jake

• Like 1

I pre-ordered them in October. 100% pure largewhite or landrace were 18k at 125kg. 50%Landrace - 50%Largewhite were 8k at 90-95kg.

In January prices went up to 9k for 2-strain Pigs. Don't know about the 1strain. I still paid the lower agreed price.

They were delivered at night in a Betagro truck with compartments with 'rooms' which housed 5 pigs.got from the truck with an elevator and walked to my pens. Very easygoing pigs but still active. No stress or bitemarks. complete records including the parents id numbers.

Also have a guarantee that if there are no or few piglets born or if they are disabled, born dead etc they will replace the Gilts for free.

Vet will visit monthly.

Not sure if all this is standard. We have a long term relationship with Betagro and have sold their feed in the past. Also the main feed seller is a personal friend.

Edited by revar

Hi guys.Dont know if this is of any use to you all or not.I had a piggery in Phillipines for a few years.We had 2 septic tanks built from cement rings.the poo was washed twice a day down the gutters into the ceptic tank.The poo breaks down and flows out the far 2nd tank..Put s bend in the inlet and out let pipes so flies cant enter.

We even we 1 step further.Put a hose into the top of the tank and methane gas comes out.Just light this and burn it off.No stink at all.Dont laugh but ive seen it used for cooking.

Cheers Cobbler

Ps 1 time each year take off the lid of 1st tank and empty using bucket with a rope on it.Put it on your land.

Also b sure your hose taking methane from tank is long enough to avoid danger of blowing yourself up.555

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by cobbler
  • Like 2

Hello fellow pig farmers,

Good to see that the discussion is going on. I just follow every now and then what is happening. We bought 100 new piglets about 4 weeks ago. We paid high 240.000 baht for them and they were around 18 kg. In first week or two we lost 2 piglets and one of them was long hair. In total we got 7 long hair. I learned that we should avoid those because they are weaker. All piglets had again cough, similar last batch and they came from same farm in Chaiyaphum. Need to take better control what we buy and where.

This time break even will be about 80.000 baht higher than previous batch because of higher initial cost and smaller piglet size. I have my doubts I will make any money this time but did not lose hope just yet.

I am really interested how your breeding projects will turn out. I am definitely interested to buy some piglets when time comes.

-OBCMO

may i just say you seem to be paying a lot on money for your piglets, even more so when your buying 100 pigs from them at a time,

i would be looking for another supplier,

just my thoughts though, if your happy thats the main thing,

im busy trying to find a feed supplier that will let us buy direrct from them or even be an agent for them, hard work,

jake

hi raver

i dont really no the weigh of them when we get them,

what we do is just ring our lady up, or she rings u when the month is up and asks if we need pigs,

we get a date to go to her place were there could be anything between 60 and 100 piglets to chooses from we just take what we think are good,

mac has just told me over the phone that she is going to get 30 or so on the 3rd march, as she has just sold 17, its 17 as she has kept 3 gilts back out of a batch of 20 from breeding,

we are trying now to do 30 a month, weve been getting rid of 20 a month good, so have uped it to 30 slowly slowly catch the monkey ect,

thats will be 7 gilts we have got now, we did breed before but i think they were to fat, my fault that was, but we are more experienced now,

ill take some pics when i go back home again in may,

any more questions just ask,

jake

Hi Jake & all,

I agree with you that price we paid is high, too high even then pigs are coming from EVAP farm. I am worried about bio security and that is why I prefer just big batches. We bought them in really bad time and I did not realise it would be so expensive. So far I have not seen any discounts even we buy 100. Perhaps discount went to our middleman. Our current provider is also providing the feed and buying the pigs back so our hands are tied. I think it would be better to sell daily in smaller batches near 100 kg. So I decided to change our piglet provider. That also means I need to find also new feed provider. We start to look good farm to provide us piglets and feed vendor with good price. It wont be easy. I have one new 10-wheeler working in Saraburi and I can schedule the truck to take feed from factory to the farm. If someone is interested I can arrange delivery hopefully with very competetive price around Korat, Chaiyaphum and also Khon Kaen. The more feed we buy the better price we should get. I am also planning to extend the farm to 200 or 300 pigs to bigger margin and providing more work to our employees.

-OBCMO

wow, 2 or 300 finnished pigs in one go,

to me that would be very risky, you say they will but back from you the finnished pigs,

what if they dont, you would be hard pushed to get rid of 200 or even 300,

im not saying what i do is right, ive said many many times im no expert and we are all learning this pig game,

we bring in 30 a month and sell 30 a month, like a convayer 30 in 30 out, then if for some eason our buyers said they didnt want, i think i could slaughter 30 over a month and sell localy,

as for the feed i agree with you over this,

im now in the proses of trying to find a feed mill that will sell direct to me, even let me be an agent round here in wangnamyen,

good luck with your latest batch.

jake

OBCMO

Current price is 2300 for 16 Kg piglet. And then + 74 bath for every more kg. We have no problem to sell at that price so I don't think you paid an overprice. I would love to sell to you in the future but at the moment we only produce around 140 per months and that's what we need to fill our own barns.

About feed. How much are you paying for premium feed. I know I sound repetitive but investing in a feed mixer, is the best investment you can make. Check attachment and compare with your supplier. You find protein and price information at the bottom of the page. If you can make your food two bath cheaper than commercial feed and you need around 220 kg feed, then you have increase your margin with more than 400 bath/head. In your case with 100 pigs, 40000 bath.

If you don't need antibiotics in feed then you can make it one bath cheaper/kg. You can also make it much cheaper if you use vegetable oil instead of full fat soy. Use 55% fish-meal instead of 70% and so on.

Diet 05 - 12 Kg.pdf

Diet 12 - 30 Kg.pdf

Diet 30 - 60 Kg.pdf

Diet 60 - 80 Kg.pdf

Diet 80 - 100 Kg.pdf

Diet Gestation.pdf

Diet Lactation.pdf

One of our sows have a miscarriage two weeks early. All piglets were dead and shortly after birth, dies sow. Is there anyone who has experienced something similar?

yes its happens from time to time at our farm. I would say on average twice a year so far. we tend to have about fifty births a month.

the animal must be in some stress or sick. we can usually spot them before the abort. good indicator is not eating/drinking. we had one pig give birth about one week ago, 8 days early, all piglets sort of white mummy, most born alive, but die within a few hours. no signs of stress with this animal, only not eat or drink two days before abort.

if the pig does not die we always get rid of said animal.

if you look at my profile im in wangnamyen, sakoew province,

im so sorry i dont have a spread sheet for government prices i just no i can go and buy piglets at 850/900 bht each,

my wife is going on the 3rd to pick 30,

we arnt a big government farm, we try to bring in 30 a month and sell 30 a month,

i wouldnt buy a piglet for 2300bht, i wouldnt do it, not a lot of profit laft on that for me,

we have now got 7 gilts again to also breed our own,

ill leave the 2300 bht piglets to you experts with the big farm making millions,

have a good day boys

jake