Firefox Dictionary

coldcrush

Hiya All I am having problems with the dictionary search from Firefox. It seems to be the encoding. I have Firefox browser, XP OS.

*This is the error i get using TFD.com:

เรือน

Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia. Please try the words separately:

Can't find what you are looking for? Try Google site search

I am not up on this sort of thing, not really my field, however i would like to try and correct this so I can use it.

Any knowledge or guidance welcomed.

Thank

Go to Menu/View/Character Encoding and tell us what it's set to. Then change it to something else, like Western or Thai and see if it helps. The more information you give us, the more likely someone will figure out the problem. :o

Regarding the Conquery extension "search plugins" (not for the "Dictionary Search" extension), I can email you all of mine if you PM me your email address. They may help.

Hiya All I am having problems with the dictionary search from Firefox.  It seems to be the encoding.  I have Firefox browser, XP OS. 

*This is the error i get using TFD.com:

เรือน

Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia. Please try the words separately:

Can't find what you are looking for? Try Google site search

I am not up on this sort of thing, not really my field, however i would like to try and correct this so I can use it.

Any knowledge or guidance welcomed. 

Thank

Well you might check to see if you are using Unicode or not, and in Firefox you have a choice of 2 different Thai character sets. Are you looking to cut & paste or type directly? :o

Go to Menu/View/Character Encoding and tell us what it's set to. Then change it to something else, like Western or Thai and see if it helps. The more information you give us, the more likely someone will figure out the problem. :D

Regarding the Conquery extension "search plugins" (not for the "Dictionary Search" extension), I can email you all of mine if you PM me your email address. They may help.

These are my screen settings, I not played around with it as yet I need more info on this area. :o

Edited by lopburiguy

Go to Menu/View/Character Encoding and tell us what it's set to. Then change it to something else, like Western or Thai and see if it helps. The more information you give us, the more likely someone will figure out the problem. :D

These are my screen settings, I not played around with it as yet I need more info on this area. :o

All this thumbnail told me (once I'd managed to gets its URL using 'view source') was that Thaivisa pages are encoded as Latin-1, which most of us know anyway. The strange text in the error message seems to be the result of Thai encoded in UTF-8 being misnterpreted as Latin-1. However, how did you get to the point where you got the error message? Which version of Firefox are you using?

All this thumbnail told me (once I'd managed to gets its URL using 'view source') was that Thaivisa pages are encoded as Latin-1, which most of us know anyway. The strange text in the error message seems to be the result of Thai encoded in UTF-8 being misnterpreted as Latin-1. However, how did you get to the point where you got the error message? Which version of Firefox are you using?

Hiya Richard

I do not no what the problem is with the attachment, is there a better way rather than clicking "add this attachment"? Dunno?

For the error message: Highlight text>right click text>search dictionary for....>TFD.com pops up with error message.

I think some settings are wrong or maybe I am not understanding the process correctly. Do I need to change my settings in: view>encoding>more?

Thanks for your reply. I am not up on this so assume to give an "idiots guide", however I will not give up!....lol :D

Edited by lopburiguy

...For the error message:  Highlight text>right click text>search dictionary for....>TFD.com pops up with error message.

I think some settings are wrong or maybe I am not understanding the process correctly.  Do I need to change my settings in: view>encoding>more?

Thanks for your reply. I am not up on this so assume to give an "idiots guide", however I will not give up!....lol  :o

lopburiguy, can you confirm which extension you are using for this "Dictionary search" function? Is it the "Dictionary Search" extension? Obviously, this sounds the most likely, but I would like you to confirm it.

If you install the "Conquery" extension, you will find that it can do a lot more and I will be able to help as I use it every day.

Lopburiguy, what URL do you get in the address bar when you get the error? I've tried TFD.com directly, but nothing gives me the impression that it can do anything useful with text in Thai. However, when I try looking up a Thai word, I just get a row of question marks when it says what it cannot find.

I don't get the same prompts as you, but then I need to upgrade from Firefox 1.04 to 1.06.

Lopburiguy, what URL do you get in the address bar when you get the error?  I've tried TFD.com directly, but nothing gives me the impression that it can do anything useful with text in Thai.  However, when I try looking up a Thai word, I just get a row of question marks when it says what it cannot find.

I don't get the same prompts as you, but then I need to upgrade from Firefox 1.04 to 1.06.

Thank you Richard! It never occurred to me that the OP is trying to translate a THAI word using TFD! :o

So, lopburiguy, can you please confirm whether it is a THAI word you are trying to look up in TFD.com, or is it an ENGLISH word? The reason I'm asking is that you need a specific Thai to English web site to TRANSLATE: you will go no useful result from a dictionary site like TFD.com.

The best sites that I know are thai2english.com and thai-language.com.

PS. Try "Conquery" extension in Firefox.

Lopburiguy, what URL do you get in the address bar when you get the error?  I've tried TFD.com directly, but nothing gives me the impression that it can do anything useful with text in Thai.  However, when I try looking up a Thai word, I just get a row of question marks when it says what it cannot find.

Thank you Richard! It never occurred to me that the OP is trying to translate a THAI word using TFD! :o

So, lopburiguy, can you please confirm whether it is a THAI word you are trying to look up in TFD.com, or is it an ENGLISH word? The reason I'm asking is that you need a specific Thai to English web site to TRANSLATE: you will go no useful result from a dictionary site like TFD.com.

The best sites that I know are thai2english.com and thai-language.com.

PS. Try "Conquery" extension in Firefox.

Hiya RDN

I am trying to translate a Thai word. I thought I might need to add the link or something, it is just not to clear on the method of doing so!

I have installed conquery, so if you could advise me on how to change my settings to thai-language.com as the search engine, I would be obliged.

Thanks

Edited by lopburiguy

...I have installed conquery, so if you could advise me on how to hcange my settings, I would be obliged.

Thanks

OK. Go to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins" - you will find the files that Conquery uses. I think you get 5 search options by default, so you will see 10 files in that directory (one is an icon file for each search option, the other file tells Conquery how to process the highlighted text.)

Look here to see all the search options that I have now:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=339949

As you can see, when I right-click after selecting some text, I get lots of options!

What I can do is send you all the files that are in my "searchplugins" folder. Just put them in your folder, and you'll get the same abilities. You'll need to send me your email address by PM, though.

...I have installed conquery, so if you could advise me on how to hcange my settings, I would be obliged.

Thanks

OK. Go to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins" - you will find the files that Conquery uses. I think you get 5 search options by default, so you will see 10 files in that directory (one is an icon file for each search option, the other file tells Conquery how to process the highlighted text.)

Look here to see all the search options that I have now:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=339949

As you can see, when I right-click after selecting some text, I get lots of options!

What I can do is send you all the files that are in my "searchplugins" folder. Just put them in your folder, and you'll get the same abilities. You'll need to send me your email address by PM, though.

Thanks RDN full steam ahead, worked 1st time, alot of plugins to play with!!!

Thanks again. :o

If anyone else wants a copy of the Conquery search plugins that I use, you can get them here:

http://home.ripway.com/2005-7/367389/searchplugins.zip

Disclaimer:

All software is provided "AS IS" without warranty or conditions of any kind concerning the quality, safety, or suitability of the software, either express or implied, including, without limitation, any implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. In no event will I be liable for any indirect, punitive, special, incidental or consequential damages however they may arise and even if I was previously advised of the possibility of such damages arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any files, downloads or other information.