Buying Motorbike At Auction

westbounder

I am a farang livin in CNX for three years now. Can anyone tell me when the motorbike auction at Romchok market takes

place and how to go about buying a motorbike there. Also where exactly is this Auction located or take place, I only know

it is near Rimping and the next door market on the way to Mae Jo. Also can I put the motorbike in my name or what do I have to do

after the initial purchase.

The motorbike sale at Rhuem Chok is on Sunday and as far as I know it is not an auction but a sale. I have been many times and never seen an auction. Just turn left into the market at the 7-11 and drive straight back. There is a person at a table there who handles all the paperwork. As far as I know you need a non-o visa and a work permit to register in your name but I could be wrong as it's been awhile.

To be a little more precise, you must be going north past the intersection with the middle ring road on the Chiang Mai - Maejo road. Just past the entrance to Rimping and the Siam Bank, you turn left. There are usually a number of vehicles going in.

About 75 meters ahead on the right is the sale. I have not been there for some months, but at that time and for some months earlier it started around 9 on SAturday. Kind of disperses at 12:00 and thereafter.

I have not bought a bike there as I was just getting a sense of asking prices for various models. But to find out about purchasing advice, you can go to Thai Visa's bike section.

One of the pinned topics at the top is "Red Flags When Buying a Used Bike." Also, using searches, you can refine your knowledge of paper work - both requirements for you and what and how the seller presents for a sound sale.

I am told they have 3 year old Finos at half the brand new price. I thought the Finos typically only depreciated approx 3-4K bt pa. Yet this market seems to have them valued a lot less. I think the 3-5 year mark is a pivatol point as most Thai pay monthly then love a quick 20k then pay months for a brand new one all over again. Personally I would prefer to pay the 20-25K for a 3 yr old Fino in great condition. Although the 3 year warrantee has expired at the 3 year mark.

Anywhere close to half after 3 years is a great deal, as cars never depreciate anywhere near as fast.

The motorbike sale at Rhuem Chok is on Sunday and as far as I know it is not an auction but a sale. I have been many times and never seen an auction. Just turn left into the market at the 7-11 and drive straight back. There is a person at a table there who handles all the paperwork. As far as I know you need a non-o visa and a work permit to register in your name but I could be wrong as it's been awhile.

It is SATURDAY and SUNDAY. I believe any Non-O visa is OK . A work permit is not required. I am on a retirement visa and I own 5 bikes. A residency certificate will have to be obtained and submitted with the paperwork to transfer to your name.

All you need to buy a bike is money!

TO REGISTER A BIKE IN YOUR NAME you need a 'Certificate or Residence' from CM Immigration for 500bht and signed photocopies of your passport.

CM immigration pretty much don't care what VISA you have, but do care about the 500bht.

Yes other immigration places do care about the VISA but don't charge for a CoR!

I bought a 3 year old Honda Airblade there about 3 months ago for 24,500bht, needed 1,500bht worth of work to repair those little faults the Thais never bother with (bald tyres and marginal brakes) but still a bargain.

To buy a bike, you haggle with the dealer, take the bike for a test drive around the block, go with the dealer to the market officers desk where they check all the paperwork and you hand over the cash. They do not register the bike for you. That is another trip to the vehicle registration offices on the Lampun road with green book, CoR and passport copies along with about 200bht.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Remember, to sell a bike that is in your name you need another CoR, another 500bht.

Think about this

There appears to be no downside to NOT registering the transfer of ownership.

You can still tax and insure the bike, the police don't care who the registered owner is, you can still sell the bike if you don't sign the transfer papers given to you by the dealer, just keep them safe somewhere. After all the guy who just sold you the bike didn't register it in his name, did he?

As to today, a Saturday, they were bringing IN more bikes after 12:30 - I saw 15 arrive around then.

What you don't see much of is Fi bikes because they are recent on the market, still under warranty, and Thais like 'em. For risk takers, there are those Maylaysian bikes in many incarnations at breathtaking prices - if you didn't know their reputation. Buying a new bike involves - as suggested above - more steps right away, for you have no license, no green book and no plates.

There are always hundreds of motorbikes for sale on a Saturday and Sunday and also cars ad pickups. Quite interesting to look around but be careful when you buy as the motorbike could have been in an accident,stolen or not looked after and regulary serviced. I go there to see what l could get for my 2 year old Honda Click if l decide to sell it

As to today, a Saturday, they were bringing IN more bikes after 12:30 - I saw 15 arrive around then.

They move them from the Saturday morning market at San Patong (beyond Hang Dong)

The morning market is truely huge, never seen anything like it, but starts early at 7am and finishes around lunchtime.

They move them from the Saturday morning market at San Patong (beyond Hang Dong)

The morning market is truely huge, never seen anything like it, but starts early at 7am and finishes around lunchtime.

Having bought a bike from the Auction.

10 months later I can still not get the plate for the bike and therefore can not legaly use it.

The Auction simply suggest putting the bike back in the Auction and passing the problem on to you.

Its a very expensive way to buy a bike if your not Thai!

Buyer BE VERY AWARE!

I bought a bike from the market at San Patong last weekend, I must say the market there is huge and offers a much better selection in both range and price.

What I will say is budget into your purchase monies a few thousand Baht to cover any "little" problems that arise after you purchase. Don't let this put you off as you can still grab a bargain!

Don't bother checking how many KM are on the clock as they all get clocked (odometer wound backwards). A friend of mine saw his old Honda CBR 150 that he sold a year earlier for more than he sold it with about 1K less on the clock than when he sold it lol.

To the OP, if your here for a few years or so your probably better off just buying a new honda wave or something. sure you'll pay more but there will be no unknown history, no "little" problems to pay for, a warranty for a few years, reliable breaks etc.

If you are able to afford it then I would say this is always a better option, just my opinion though!

You will also tend to find that the market behind Rimping is bigger at the last/first weekend of the month as it's usually pay week for most people.

I wouldn't bother with the shiney / flash looking Chinese imported bikes near the front, very very poor build quality and will drop to bits on you. Bit like the old JRD's but probably worse lol

Good luck and hope to see you cruising around with a smile and not a frown lol

Having bought a bike from the Auction.

10 months later I can still not get the plate for the bike and therefore can not legaly use it.

The Auction simply suggest putting the bike back in the Auction and passing the problem on to you.

Its a very expensive way to buy a bike if your not Thai!

Buyer BE VERY AWARE!

Sigh.. Ok: The issue is with the plate and paperwork of the particular bike, not the purchasing method. When buying any bike you need to make sure that it has plates, comes with the booklet and signed ownership transfer documents, and that the numbers match the frame/engine. That applies no matter where/how you purchase a used bike. If this sounds like too much trouble then buy new. It's not like bikes are expensive.

Sigh.. Ok: The issue is with the plate and paperwork of the particular bike, not the purchasing method. When buying any bike you need to make sure that it has plates, comes with the booklet and signed ownership transfer documents, and that the numbers match the frame/engine. That applies no matter where/how you purchase a used bike. If this sounds like too much trouble then buy new. It's not like bikes are expensive.

What Winnie says

No plate, no green book, don't buy it. How hard was that?

(Why did you buy a bike without a plate? .... just wondering)

PS

Quite a lot of peeps don't worry all that much about the legality of driving a m/c (many don't even have a driving licence), so it might not be a problem for someone else who understands what they a buying.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I don't think it's a major problem having a bike without the plate, the only real problem is that it makes it far more likely that police will pull you over when they do their random checks for crash helmets, and you'll probably have to pay a fine of 200-400 baht.

I don't think it's a major problem having a bike without the plate, the only real problem is that it makes it far more likely that police will pull you over when they do their random checks for crash helmets, and you'll probably have to pay a fine of 200-400 baht.

and take the bike. So now your out the money you spent on the bike. :whistling:

I went to Romchok on Sunday. I will be selling my fino soon and wanted to get a general idea of the prices rather than sell it to them.

All the bikes are for sale, no sign of any auctions. My fino is 2 years old, they were selling similar for 33-34k baht, and after a lot of haggling I think they would have paid me around 27-28k baht for mine. So they will make a profit of 5-6k baht which is fair enough, I think they gave a pretty good price because they are confident they can sell them on again quickly.