Pattay As Reported In The N.Y. Times

Nemothepemo

I have moved out of Pattaya after 8 years. I experienced every form of negativity that Pattaya could offer. Pattaya is recognized worldwide as a popular tourist destination. But few visitors really know what to expect. Thai nationals and some residents have evolved praying on unsuspecting residents and tourists to a high art form. I have left with memories that should only belong to someone who has experienced the very worst kind of human behavior. I know that there is a core of Pattaya citizens who are exceptional human beings. But, I also know that Pattaya has a large population of the dregs of human beings. Staying in Pattaya and trying to fix all that is broken is impossible. If you leave don't look back. You could be turned into a pillar of salt. Please read this article from a recent addition of the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/world/asia/16iht-pattaya.html?ref=todayspaper

Edited by Nemothepemo

To be honest Nemo, although I agree with what you say, my home city of London has many parts where the same is true, especially around Soho, and other tourist areas.

The difference is the girls in Pattaya are generally prettier, the climate is nicer and the rip-offs are for sums a lot less than rip-offs for the unititiated, especially unsuspecting tourists in London.

I have lived in Pattaya 8 years, have learnt to read and write Thai and dont get ripped off very much at all now. I genuinely believe being able to converse with them in their own language is a great help. There is no misunderstanding about what I want!!

Its mainly 'service' organisations like 3BB internet and getting 'reputable' companies to honour a warranty on broken goods, especially electrical goods, that I still find I never seem to come out a winner.

Mind you, I stil have to use the kitchen in my house installed 8 years ago that is made of chipboard a covered in some cheap plastic - what a ripoff indeed - fitted for a mere cost of 100K Baht :bah:

Anyway - good luck in your new location

Edited by dsfbrit