Pattaya Getting More "Respectable"

Jingthing

This article is peppered with the usual PDS monikers ("If Las Vegas is Sin City, Pattaya is a bear hug from Lucifer himself") but the ultimate conclusion, that is obviously correct, is that Pattaya really IS changing, and changing fast. Not to a sanitized Salt Lake City by the sea, but to a DIVERSE tourist oriented metropolis, with everything, for everybody. Viva Pattaya!

A Thai City of Sleaze Tries to Clean Up

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/world/asia/16iht-pattaya.html?_r=2&emc=eta1

Edited by Jingthing

Interestign article but there is some truth in it. Pattaya is changing to a more main stream, less naughty destination, even as we type. The future WS may be more for show -strollers swilling large bottles of Chang bought at 7/11- and the more naughty, night life pushed back to 3RD road?

I doesn't need to all be pushed back. Look at Acapulco, the most popular beach resort in Mexico, and like Pattaya and its Bangkok followers, the top choice for people from the Mexican capital. It's all available someplace near the ocean, respectable stuff and naughty stuff as well. It's not a problem.

Another point to PDS sufferers.

If you haven't been to Pattaya lately, you really haven't been to Pattaya. It has ALREADY radically changed.

Edited by Jingthing

Personally I think Pattaya went through a big change 10 or 12 years ago. Before that it was pure bedlam at night everybar playing different music so loud they tried to drum out the other bars in the area. Most everything was on the beach road . Soi 6 really rocked everything was there and out in the open.It verged on the edge of hysteria. Everything was dirt cheap. Then along came quiet music. Bands in bars . The gentlemen showed up. The gentlemen wanted a quiet place to drink, didnot like sleaze. The place got expensive,more rules, A lot of things went behind closed doors, and costs went up. These are the changes I have seen think what have the guys who came here in the 70's seen. Pattaya is constantly changing it is the nature of the beast.As far as respectable I would think most of the visitors now come from similar cultures as far as the sex trade goes so they donot even take notice.It will still be there as open as now only mom,dad and kids will walk by it to and from the beach. I wouldnot say respectable but more package tourist targetted, along with what comes already.

these package tourists just made this place 'uncool'. :annoyed:

I see more sex tourists heading to Cambodia.

heading there myself. :ph34r:

I kinda like the Russian tourists...some of the gals are hot! At least gives us a change of pace...

Hard to compare the scene in Cambo to here. Same with the PI. But, being married now, it doesn't really get my attention...