Health Check Up Is Now Required For Thai Driving License Renewal

webfact

Health check up is required for driving license renewal

BANGKOK, 6 October 2010 (NNT) – All new driver’s license applicants together with those who want to renew their license are now required to have a doctor’s certificate in order to ensure that their health conditions would not affect the driving performances.

Deputy Government Spokesman, Supachai Jaisamut, revealed after a draft ministerial regulation of the Transport Ministry that the cabinet has approved the new requirement for driving license application's process.

The Transport Ministry indicated that this new regulation was proposed because people can now apply for their driver’s license extension without having to show a doctor’s certificate. Hence, it is unable to certify that these drivers are not suffering for illnesses listed under Article 46 of the Automobile Act of 1979.

When the new regulation is effective, it will cover all kinds of vehicle’s licenses. Psychological and emotional tests are also included in the examination to guarantee that no mental disabilities are found.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-10-06 footer_n.gif

i thought this was already required. when i did mine i had to show up with a health certificate, and this was 4 years ago.

Maybe it hasnt applied to Thai's before - no doubt a nice fee charged for providing one - nice little earner and the opportunity for some back pocket expenses!

they always ask for a medical certificate, the certificate costs 50 baht with no medical being performed.

I did my 5 year renewal recently, and the medical was not needed nor asked about.

Really? when i renewed mine recently (Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok) they sent me away to get one, I heard that one was not needed for renewal but when I got there they said it was.

Four years ago they required the health certificate for the 5-year license here on Samui.

I got my 5 yr in January and needed to supply Medical certificate. and also the yr before for the 1 yr license. Has been going on for a while here on Samui.

Edit: Fee 200 Baht, but he did ask me if I was ok? before he gave it to me. :cheesy:

Edited by sevenhills

i thought this was already required. when i did mine i had to show up with a health certificate, and this was 4 years ago.

Maybe it hasnt applied to Thai's before - no doubt a nice fee charged for providing one - nice little earner and the opportunity for some back pocket expenses!

i'm not sure about thais... but the medical check can be gotten from any hospital. i paid 50 baht for mine at some government hospital. the doc asked me if i was sick, said no. then he checked my heart and breathing and declared me healthy.

Amazing Thailand, I have had to have a doctors certificate every time. I renewed mine.Doctor asks any life threatening illnesses?- No, signs paper. I pay B50 consultation fee and off to to the renewal. Heart and blood pressure are checked by a a nurse before seeing the doctor.

Amazing Thailand, I have had to have a doctors certificate every time. I renewed mine.Doctor asks any life threatening illnesses?- No, signs paper. I pay B50 consultation fee and off to to the renewal. Heart and blood pressure are checked by a a nurse before seeing the doctor.

wow, both times I have been i never saw a doctor, just the receptionist

I renewed my five year bike licence this year, and my five year car licence last year. On both occasions I needed a Medical Certificate. I also needed one when I did the previous five year renewals and my intial one year licences. Nothing new for us then.

they always ask for a medical certificate, the certificate costs 50 baht with no medical being performed.

I did my 5 year renewal recently, and the medical was not needed nor asked about.

I did my five year renewal four months ago, no medical needed. The weird thing I was on two crutches after a motorcycle accident, with an implanted plate.

Still suffering from this accident, my reaction time was much better than the Thais who were with me on this particular day.

But I had good fun to watch the ordinary Thai movie, (most of us fell asleep) about accident prevention and some easy tests.

After the 90 minutes long movie a woman was asking me if I could understand all and I said of course I did..... :jap:

Anyway, a medical certificate doesn't say much about the actual health- especially the mental one.

We can see that on daily basis on Thailand's streets.

Edited by sirchai

My 20Baht certficate [translated] stated that:-

a) I did not have stage four syphallis. B) AIDS. c) I had all my mental facalties. d) was sound of limbs and did not have Elephantitis.

Well worth the money even though it was issued by the office girl. I hope the Doctor confirms all this if ever I see him!

I would agree with that. Every time I have renewed (bike and car) I need to have a medical checkup. Maybe they mean the policy needs enforcing?

I got a "medical certificate" in August. The receptionist got out an eye chart, I read the numbers, paid 100 Baht and that was it. Although it is the same form that they use for visas when applying. No 3rd stage syphilis, no drug or alcohol addiction, etc. Pretty much a joke!

They always ask for a medical certificate, the certificate costs 50 baht with no medical being performed.

Seems as if all experiences are the same, Our local snake oil vendor signs certificates if one can stand up it seems as if one is fit and healthy.

Needless to say we do not use the certificate signer for any personal medical care that either the kids, the wife or I may need.

Edited by siampolee

I renewed my five year bike licence this year, and my five year car licence last year. On both occasions I needed a Medical Certificate. I also needed one when I did the previous five year renewals and my intial one year licences. Nothing new for us then.

Same same everywhere, but some Doctors just charge more depending on locality. (But I must say they are not charging extra fees for the Farang on Samui, Gov't charge only, at this stage.

I always had to get one and we used a local doc. at the time

Funny (well not too funny) a few weeks after getting a cert. for driving renewal I had my first Heart Attack and he was on duty. :lol:

A few hours into the ICU he leans down and asks, "did you have any symtoms before this". I was honest and said No Doc it is a big surprise to me too.:D