Thanks, Customs!

baboon

I arrived back in BKK a couple of weeks ago, [Emirates, since you asked]and decided to spend the night there as I could not stand the thought of another 7 hours on a train to Chumphon. I gleefully snatched my bag from the carousel after a soul destroying 5 minute wait and started to head off until realising I had lost the bloody key.

I went over to the Customs officer, explained and asked if he could help. He had my bag open in 2 seconds flat. I asked if he wanted to check the contents to which he raised a quizzical eyebrow, said "no" and waaved me on.

The purpose of my post:

1. To thank the guy involved. See, Thai officials are not always as black as we paint them.

2. I have to ask why bother locking your bag in the first place if they can be broken into so easily?

You lock to deter opportunity theft but anyone with the time and motivation will always be able to open almost any lock.

However, nothing that you cannot lose should ever be packed into your check in luggage. Some might have the view that the fact the Customs officer so easily opened your lock as a bad sign but of course they are trained to do so for those pax who 'lose' their key when Customs wish to check their baggage.

As a rule, I always keep a spare key with me in another location, eg. 1 key for the lock in my carry on bag and 1 key in my wallet.