Frequent Bombings Won't Deter Thai Tourism: Minister

webfact

More lies from the official again.

I am not sure id booming, or strong Bath, the tourist situation is disastrous, it is suppose to be HIGH Season, but out tourist customer in MBK has shrunk from 30 to only 6 or 7. It is very bad, not sure if all tourist are staying home or just not coming to Thailand. Tourist in Chaing Mai is also nonexistent

Another thread is reporting the relative strength of the baht against the $US and other currencies.That makes Thailand an expensive destination for US and European visitors. However, there is another factor beyond the Minister's control that is going to reduce further the number of UK and European visitors. In line with the UK, other European governments are either increasing their airport departure tax or introducing it. From next month, the UK airport departure tax on economy fares will add up to a further 100GBP to the cost of the airline ticket.

That may not deter the "bad boys' who go to Pattaya, but a family of 4 will have to find an extra 400GBP to come to the LOS. The Minister might be right, but where the bombs fail airport departure taxes will succeed. Either way, not good news for the Thai tourist industry and the many who depend on it for their livleihood.

FREQUENT BOMBING WON'T DETER THAI TOURISM................Ummmmmm so tourists are lined up to be blown up........... What are you doing on your next rec leave? I am going to thailand for a welcome smile, enjoy the beaches, have some nice food and with a little luck get blown up in a true thai culture. Is this Minister really crazy? Bombs exploding would haveto have some impact on tourism. WON"T DETER?????? Minister you are thailands finest brain for this area in politics.

I am due to go out in 3 weeks time for 5 weeks, with the Wife (Thai) and our baby (6mth)

We are going to BKK, travelling up to Buri-Ram and then to Jomtien. Whilst in BKK we will be getting a enw passport for the wife, she is not worried at all about the bombings going on, nothing will ever happen in tourist areas she says, I ask how she can be so sure, they wont risk damaging the tourist industy she says,..... Afraid to say it bu i think they already have. I honestly dont know what planet they are on half of the time.

I am certainly keeping an eye on the news and TV to find out what is happening, if there are any more or if the threats continue to come i will probably cancel the trip, why risk your life and that of your family......but at the same time, dont let these terrorists win.

Hard call.

More lies from the official again.

I am not sure id booming, or strong Bath, the tourist situation is disastrous, it is suppose to be HIGH Season, but out tourist customer in MBK has shrunk from 30 to only 6 or 7. It is very bad, not sure if all tourist are staying home or just not coming to Thailand. Tourist in Chaing Mai is also nonexistent

Another thread is reporting the relative strength of the baht against the $US and other currencies.That makes Thailand an expensive destination for US and European visitors. However, there is another factor beyond the Minister's control that is going to reduce further the number of UK and European visitors. In line with the UK, other European governments are either increasing their airport departure tax or introducing it. From next month, the UK airport departure tax on economy fares will add up to a further 100GBP to the cost of the airline ticket.

That may not deter the "bad boys' who go to Pattaya, but a family of 4 will have to find an extra 400GBP to come to the LOS. The Minister might be right, but where the bombs fail airport departure taxes will succeed. Either way, not good news for the Thai tourist industry and the many who depend on it for their livleihood.

Quite true Thailand is becoming very expensive. well not becoming is now expensive.

He went on to say that the number of tourists is rising and the number of individual tourists alone has increased by 70 to 80 percent.

I love this statement.last week it was 20-30%, this week its 70%-80%, so i guess next week it will be 150%-180%-LOL

and before we know it there will be more tourists then the locals.

Yeah bombs do not deter tourists at all, i hear Baghdad is a great holiday destination full of tourists.

Edited by kuffki

dont know where all the tourists go then as the bars are empty .thailand has to be suffering big time .ok its impossible to scare off the sex tourist but the normal tourist who goes to see the beauty of thailand has to be way down..my last trip to phuket a few mths ago the foreigners wer simply not there soi bangala was near empty compared to a few yrs ago..

It probably isn't relevant whether the tourists want to come to Thailand or not. The main factor will be cost due to the strength of the baht and prohibitive travel insurance.

Two friends were due to visit me on Samui during the red shirt protest. They took the hit with the baht, but almost 500 GBP each for travel insurance was a killer.

Went to Cairo instead. :(

Edited by Tropicalevo

Which planet is he living on? The complacency is stunning & the ignorance of what the world thinks of Thailand right now is simply beyond belief. I have friends due next week who have now postponed for the second time this year. They are now seriously thinking of going to Hong Kong & Vietnam instead. It is people like this who are supposed to be running this country but are patently incapable of any intelligent thought. Does he not know how bad the forward bookings are here in Chiang Mai? They are so bad that hotels are pleading for some actions to help them survive, & bars and restaurants are doing so badly that many are closing down. Nero had the same idea a few centuries ago I believe.violin.gif

nana plaza most popular bar had 5 customers at 11 pm last night!

its more than just the economy.........i think people are increasingly becoming afraid of thailand!