Advice On Purchasing A Wireless Router Appreciated

flash60419

Hello,

Please bear with me as this is pretty much my first post.

I have been suffering with very slow connection speeds of late. Well, for the last few months as it happens. Paying for 8 Mbps and getting around 1.5Mbps, sometimes as low as 0.34Mbps. To be fair it does quite often get up to 6.5Mbps but it doesn't stay there for long, an hour at the most and then it crashes back down to less than 1Mbps.

I don't know why it does this.

I have spoken to my Isp ( True Internet ) and they gave me a way to access the internet which was via a proxy server... This didn't really work ( the speeds were just as bad ) and when I called them to complain, they kept fobbing me off about 'the times of day I am using the internet' and what not. The thing is that I use the internet when most people are not using their home connection... during the day. I work nights.

Today I had a True engineer come round and try to help me fix the slow speeds, and it appears that he has done so. I told him that True had moved me onto a proxy server to try and remedy the problem I was having and he shook his head and basically said 'yes they always try and do that to keep you quiet, but it is wrong...it doesn't work'. He also said that the new router he installed was 'not good', and that I should buy my own router. A lovely insight to the way that True deal with things.

He replaced my router (some generic True thing) for another True supplied Zyxcel P660 HW T1 -v2.

So... to get to the crux of the matter, I would like some advice / feedback as to what router I would be best throwing my Baht at.

I have done a bit of Googling research and Linksys, Zyxcel, Dlink & Netgear all apparently appear to have some issues or another when connected to a Thai Isp. I don't know why, as I use a Netgear and a Dlink routers when in the UK, Spain and US, they seem fine. Perhaps I'm reading too much into things?

What I would like is a router that I can configure as and how I would like. I do use P2P & FTP for work, and would like the option to open & close ports as I decide. So a port forwarding option on the router would be a handy thing for me.

I'm not very 'techie', but I believe I know what I need.

I thank anyone (in advance) for any help that you might be able to provide.

Flash

A new router will not solve your problem, it's just an excuse.

They just have too many people using their service in your area.

Proxy server will only slow things down if the problem is local.

Your solution is to get a new internet service provider.

Or just put up with it, TIT.

Thanks for the reply Sarahsbloke.

I understand 'contention', and I'm probably in a prime area to be open to such tricks/issues... However, after the guy came round and did a bit of tinkering (including getting me to remove myself from the proxy server True actually put me on) my speeds are significantly up on a 'so far'  consistent basis. Very very close to what they advertise, and what I'm actually paying for.

Very un-TIT as it goes.

I would still like a recommendation for a reliable router though.  One thats user configurable (eg: to open/close ports as needed).

If you can help I would be very grateful.

Regards

Its not the router, I have the same zyxel p660h and I had no probs pulling 8mb through it (on an 8mb connection).

I have since moved house and changed ISP's, using the same router on my ToT 4mb connection it still pulls 4mb on the downloads.

Edited by Spoonman

I had problems with speed and dropped wireless connection. They can fiddle with speed without it being the router, which they did and it speeded things up. Still dropping the wireless signal though. I did alot of research and chose the Cisco/Linksys WRT320N. It is a N signal dual band 2.4/5ghz wireless router. I have never had a dropped signal problem and the range is great. The only drawback is that it is not an ADSL router, I had to connect the wired router from my service provider to the Linksys. But, it has an auto sensing port which new exactly when I plugged in the Cat 5 cable from the other router and configured itself to the normal Thai network settings. And it was cheap at Thanni with shipping for 135 baht and arrived the day after I ordered it.

Thank you all...

I do appreciate the time you have all spent on replying to my initial post.

I have learned a few things of late...

#1. If you don't keep whingeing to your ISP about the speeds you are getting then you will be stuck with 'dial - up' speeds forever. ISP's CAN change things for you... albeit reluctantly.

#2. The supplied ADSL router from the ISP is 'crippled' from the start and you can't open / close ports as you choose. If you want to do this then you have to purchase your own router. Not such a bad situation seeing as the router was offered for free in the first place, and at least it gives you Internet access.

If I had NO internet access then I wouldn't be able to communicate with you helpful people like yourselves.

#3. Find a router that works for you and is user configurable.

Thanks HD Rider for your comments on the SMC router... I'll head off and have a look at one. I will find out if it is fully user configurable to my requirements. 

Thanks also to Florida Guy for the heads up on the Cisco/Linksys router. Thats probably not a route I will actually take as I find technology a pain in the a## at the best of times, without having to involve two routers. But thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Thanks also to everyone else who posted.

A trip to Fortune Tower is due for me over the next few days, as I really need a configurable router (now that  True are providing the service that they are paid to do) .

Kind regards

Flash

#2. The supplied ADSL router from the ISP is 'crippled' from the start and you can't open / close ports as you choose. If you want to do this then you have to purchase your own router. Not such a bad situation seeing as the router was offered for free in the first place, and at least it gives you Internet access.

Not necessarily...

In most cases, a firmware upgrade will suffice.

Getting your own router however, is always the best option though.

Not necessarily...

In most cases, a firmware upgrade will suffice.

Getting your own router however, is always the best option though.

I to have True 8Mb service and it is always over 9Mb I am assuming that is due to the all new equipment that true installed in the condo block I live in here in pattaya.

A good friend on my recommendation got the same service and was getting just 2Mb. The Techs from true came out to his place and showed that the line in to the building was indeed close to 8Mb.

So the building handyman ran a new line to his room and lo and behold he got the 8Mb he was paying for. So depending where you are the lines in your Condo/house could be the problem