Tourist Visa To The U.S.

My Thai girl friend is going to Bangkok on Thursday(with me) for her first interview. She basically knows what to say and has one of the three critical factors in her favor: two kids living in Thailand. She's been in AUA learning English and is on the 14th level, with all A's or AA's. No bar experience; she worked in a Bangkok factory for 9 years before meeting me and we've been living together for over two years, with a bankbook showing my giving her a monthly stipend to support her and her family.

Other than getting lucky with the right interviewer, is there anything we can bring or say that increases our admittedly poor-on-the-first-try chances?

My wife got her 2 year tourist visa in sept. Embassy official only looked at our marriage certif and my letter on her behalf. Although he did ask what her degree was at university. I've heard that recently they changed from giving 10 year tourist visas to 2 years. Someone in this forum mentioned being able to change that 2 year to a 10 year once in the states. Does anyone know if that's possible? I'm talking about keeping same tourist visa type but making it a 10 year vs a 2 year.

write a good letter on her behalf.

Perhaps most important in a situation like your GF's is YOUR status here in Thailand. Would be best if you were here on a Retirement Extension, but absent that, some other type of semi long term visa, such as a 12-month multi-Non-O visa.

The interviewing ConOff would be interested in YOUR status here as a presumption might be made that if you are actually living long term here, your GF would most likely be expected to return to Thailand with you at the end of her U.S. stay.

So, include your original passport with her visa application, you'll get it back. Include a short para in your cover letter (a SHORT letter) on your status in Thailand.

FYI, lack of a uni education, job, house ownership, kids, does not necessarily preclude issuance of a tourist visa to the U.S. My now wife got several such visa prior to our marriage.

Mac

It has been said so often on this subject and it is plastered throughout the Department of State web sites, "Compelling Reason to Return".

Sure she should have enough money to pay her way during her visit in the US, however, overstay is the big issue for reviewing officers and it is up to the applicant to convince. Reviewing officers are actually charged or procedurally instructed to have a mindset going into an interview that the applicant will overstay. It is up to the applicant to convince otherwise.

The two kids in Thailand is most compelling if in fact she took care of them full time prior to her application and lived as a family with them. Pictures of she and her kids in a family setting are good. As previously posted, if your long stay in Thailand, now or in the future and can prove it, then getting into your relationship with her might add weight. However, if your long range plans is to return to the US, she would probably do better to not mention you.

Any form of provable commitments in Thailand requiring her presence upon her return adds weight. Doctor appointments, school enrollment, etc. Keep in mind that many poor Thai women do leave their children with parents or other relatives and try to get into the US to improve their incomes and send money home to their families.

Edited by ProThaiExpat