Living In Cnx For 10+ Years And I Absolutely Love Visaruns !

bangkokcitylimits

OK, on a small motorbike to MeaSai it's quite a long, but relaxing trip and I love it, and it's way more fun then by car. In Tachilek there's is an open air restaurant where they serve simple but delicious macaroni, and while sitting there with the always reoccurring 'I did it again' feeling, and I wonder how one bridge can connect two such totally different atmospheres. For the night, I or either spend a night in Chiangrai, Mea Sai or Tachilek which is fun, but also I don't mind going up and down in one day. Only thing is, for safety reasons I really wanna be back home before dark.

To Laos, by ATR 72-500 70-seat aircraft (I'd rather call it 'flying bus') via Luang Prabang is absolutely great fun, the 3 hour stopover in LP I get myself a nice massage, and traditionally have a delicious fish burger at the snack corner (owned by a friendly Chiang Mai lady) in the airport hall. At Vientiane airport I always enjoy the simplicity of things and the friendly and laid back people.

20:30 I arrive at the hotel at Mekong Boulevard (near to the Mekong Minimart, that closes 11pm and has a fantastic collection of culinary delights) I always call my friend the receptionist in advance, to book my favorite room at the riverside. From there also I can get the Thai internet signal with my CAT usb stick.

The Indian restaurant on the other side is the best in the world, eventually I go there so often that it gets boring. But for the first evening I go to Chokdee Cafe the Belgium owned eat-cafe (one of the very few places where I get the 'if food could make me get me orgasm it would be here') and of course a Beer Lao, although I'm not a beer drinker.

The next day, halfway the morning to the embassy for the visa stuff, always funny watching people there. Then time for a lunch at the Scandinavian, near the beautiful square with fountains. And back to the hotelroom to do the things on the internet, followed by a ve-ry lazy afternoon. I call one of my girlfriends to come for a diner, and spend the night together (let's not go too deep into details for now).

The next day together on a walk to, and over the Morning Market, order a French bread and coffee at one of the food stalls. Eventually some shopping and buy few presents to take home (usually those traditional hilltribe toiletry bags, everybody likes them) and take a 'crying tuktuk' back to the hotel. In the afternoon to the embassy again get back my passport. Many don't know but sitting down with a queuing ticket is not really necessary, but also I don't mind waiting in an airconditioned place because outside it's very hot.

The evening comes again and let's go get a drink at the BoPenang rooftop cafe, overlooking Mekong River and the Kingdom of Siam. The same evening (when by bus) or the next morning (when by plane) I eventually could go back home, but I decide to forget home for a few more days...

For me a visarun is just a 'forced holiday', and I liked them from the beginning !

i ride my old honda dream up maesai countless time , and sometime i will detour to chang sean and chang kong .

with great mekong river view ,

there is this hotel in maesai that if you stay there you will get vertigo for sure , i bene there like twice and still feel greedy and worry for my life the moment i step into their room .

visa run i will miss it , wait , i just got back from maesai 5 days ago :P

Thats fine if you like being told when you have to take your holiday each and every 90 days....to bad if it does not quite suit this month....

The Op was talking about Visa runs, NOT 90 day Police reports, which quite agreed are a severe pain but do not require you to leave the country.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BangkokCityLimits,

That's a great "upper" of visa run descriptions, thanks !

"In Tachilek there's is an open air restaurant where they serve simple but delicious macaroni"

Any name for this restaurant, or directions ? Rice based macaroni ?

"hotel at Mekong Boulevard (near to the Mekong Minimart, that closes 11pm and has a fantastic collection of culinary delights) I always call my friend the receptionist in advance, to book my favorite room at the riverside."

Name of this hotel and rates, thanks ?

"The Indian restaurant on the other side is the best in the world"

Assume if we know where the hotel is, this is easy to locate ?

"Many don't know but sitting down with a queuing ticket is not really necessary, but also I don't mind waiting in an airconditioned place because outside it's very hot."

A little confused about this statement: are you referring to the obvious option to stand up rather than sit down, or do you know a queue jumping secret technique ? In our experience the queue numbers are called in strict order based on the tickets.

thanks, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun BangkokCityLimits,

That's a great "upper" of visa run descriptions, thanks !

"In Tachilek there's is an open air restaurant where they serve simple but delicious macaroni"

Any name for this restaurant, or directions ? Rice based macaroni ?

"hotel at Mekong Boulevard (near to the Mekong Minimart, that closes 11pm and has a fantastic collection of culinary delights) I always call my friend the receptionist in advance, to book my favorite room at the riverside."

Name of this hotel and rates, thanks ?

"The Indian restaurant on the other side is the best in the world"

Assume if we know where the hotel is, this is easy to locate ?

"Many don't know but sitting down with a queuing ticket is not really necessary, but also I don't mind waiting in an airconditioned place because outside it's very hot."

A little confused about this statement: are you referring to the obvious option to stand up rather than sit down, or do you know a queue jumping secret technique ? In our experience the queue numbers are called in strict order based on the tickets.

thanks, ~o:37;

If you give me few hours sir, come from shopping and I'm sweating like a fish, but later this evening I'll give you the juicy details of the best hotels in that area etc.

:jerk: never knew Thaivisa offers such talungg emo's :lol:

You lot must have a much tougher arse than me, I rode to Mae Sai once on a dream, never ever again. I much prefer a car thank you. One place that is worth dropping into just about 5Km south of Mae Sai is the big cave on the western side of the highway. The guide told us the cave is many KM long and you can walk right into Myanmar and come out on the other side of the border.

• Boulevard is called 'Fanghum road'.
  • Mekong Minimart all the taxis know it.
  • Next on the west side is Orchid Guesthouse (hotel) very nice place to stay, just renovated, 450baht for a single room to 600 for a double. Daytime receptionist Sengchanh is such a friendly guy, be nice to him.
  • Same direction, after 20m the Indian restaurant, way better then all Indians in Chiangmai together.
  • Other direction (east) before the T-junction a massage shop with lovely young Lao girls, all single.
  • T-junction go left, after 30m right side Riverside guesthouse (hotel, elevator) 600baht for a double, best rooms are the upper floors on the backside (view on the Mekong)
  • Furtheron 30m on the left side Mixay Guesthouse, a very well organized, spic and span guesthouse with dorms for 180bath and doubles with bathroom starting 340bath. When fully occupied they can bring you to the Paradise Guesthouse, their brand new building. Same quality and prices.
  • Back to the T-juction, further east just before the last building before the park is Chokdee cafe, Cuisine Belgo-Laotienne.

Telephone reservations are accepted by all 3 hotels.

Orchid: (+856-21 252825

Riverside (+856-21 244 390

Mixay: (+856-21 243400

Thai phone can be used all around the boulevard, but be sure to set your phones 'network selection' on manually on your own provider, to avoid the connection hopping between Lao roaming connection and your Thai connection.

When going by bus via Chiang Mai - Udonthani, the only reasonable bus service is Suksa Tour (NOT Chakkaprong their VIP buses are crap) from Arcade busstation (the bus with the door in the middle) Best seats in that bus are downstairs, second row (more foot space) at the left side (no flickering lights from upcoming traffic). For Lao Airlines bookings please visit my Indian friend K&K Business 053-252388 (right next to the remarkable Tapae Inn museum hotel, Tapae Road), he takes such good care of his customers and deserves some more of them.

Anything else ? Let me know.

*this all are just my personal preferences, yours may be different, no rights or privileges may be claimed with this information.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

You lot must have a much tougher arse than me, I rode to Mae Sai once on a dream, never ever again. I much prefer a car thank you. One place that is worth dropping into just about 5Km south of Mae Sai is the big cave on the western side of the highway. The guide told us the cave is many KM long and you can walk right into Myanmar and come out on the other side of the border.

do they always have guides there? What is the cost.

I think I know the cave guide, it's him right ?

0_21_caveman_0.jpg

:lol:

do they always have guides there? What is the cost.

Sorry that was 5 1/2 years ago, but it was not much, there is camping ground there also. I think they said the cave gets flooded during the wet.

post-845-007734300 1286833573_thumb.jpg

post-845-069273900 1286833633_thumb.jpg

post-845-016441600 1286833696_thumb.jpg

post-845-049645900 1286833846_thumb.jpg

post-845-020365800 1286833912_thumb.jpg

I think I know the cave guide, it's him right ?

0_21_caveman_0.jpg

:lol:

No you go the wrong pic thats me.

So bangkokcitylimits, you been living in the Chiang Mai airport for ten years? Amazing.:whistling:

heh heh heh, I was wondering if I was the only one reading that. Maybe change it to read " Living In VTCC For 10+ Years And I Absolutely Love Visaruns ! ".;)

• 2 weeks later...

Great post, BCL.

Always happy to see someone else having a good time.

Your tips and travel info are informative and helpful.

However, at some point you may get tired of the "every 90 day, gotta leave the Kingdom" thing.

Most of my long time expat friends who used to wax rhapsodic about the joys of busing or jetting off every 90 days....now admit that it can be a pain in the you know what, sometimes.

And all of them are now on a retirement extension. They leave for trips on their schedule, not Thai Immigration law schedule.

Having said that, however whatever works for you....works for you!

Keep On Truckin' B)

Forgive me for my limited knowledge on the types of visa that exist. I belived that you could have a retirement visa....a marriage visa.......a work visa....a mission ary visa.........an education visa etc According to the information I have, these are issued on a yearly extension if granted.

So why is there a need to do border runs every 90 days for 10 years, thus circumventing the system of obtaining genuine visas and thus avoiding the attention of immigration here in CM? Why not apply, for what I term a genuine visa or do you not qualify to be here legally.

Just curious

Anything else ? Let me know.

Yes. The number of one or more of your girlfriends there. Thanks.

My girlfriends are not like that, always go around with very decent ladies.

I'm confused. Do YOU always go around with decent ladies, or do your girlfriends always go around with decent ladies? If the latter are you male or female or doesn't it matter?

Sorry, couldn't help it ...... lol

Edited by ianf

Great post, BCL.

Always happy to see someone else having a good time.

Your tips and travel info are informative and helpful.

However, at some point you may get tired of the "every 90 day, gotta leave the Kingdom" thing.

Most of my long time expat friends who used to wax rhapsodic about the joys of busing or jetting off every 90 days....now admit that it can be a pain in the you know what, sometimes.

And all of them are now on a retirement extension. They leave for trips on their schedule, not Thai Immigration law schedule.

Having said that, however whatever works for you....works for you!

Keep On Truckin' B)

Good reply, McGriffith. Although I can enjoy my 2 annual trips to Mai Sai, and I usually buy a few items to make it worth while, I don't like having to do it at the very end of each 60 day period. I get a triple entry visa each year, but to get maximum usage I have to leave the country at almost the due date. That means I can't be somewhere else in Thailand around that time. However, it's a little price to pay for 5 months of enjoyment while missing the rainy winters in Canada.

Good reply, McGriffith. Although I can enjoy my 2 annual trips to Mai Sai, and I usually buy a few items to make it worth while, I don't like having to do it at the very end of each 60 day period. I get a triple entry visa each year, but to get maximum usage I have to leave the country at almost the due date. That means I can't be somewhere else in Thailand around that time.

You could be anywhere that has an airport or is close to a border. Just do a holiday in Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

thanks to the Cheapo-Airlines nowadays and the plentiful lovely places to be explored in Asia, I do my "VISA-RUN" much more frequently than just each 90-days.

"So you are leaving Thailand again today?"

"yes, Officer, I do my VISA-run."

"but you still have 75 days of your 90-days-period."

"really, Officer? well, there was that seducing Air-Asia-Promotion offer, 1200 Baht including Tax to BALI one-way, so I could not resist to book it"

"oh but you come back soon?"

"yes I will, Officer, cause I need to catch my almost-free-of-cost flight out of Suvannabhumi to Hong Kong for a short shopping-trip in 3 weeks from now"

"oh, then KOR HAI CHOK DEE"

"Khob Khun Krab"