No Sound On Divx-Clips (Casio Camera) Once On Pc

Trevor25222

Plays the sound on my Casio EX-Z1080 pocket camera but not once transferred to my Windows xp computer. Video output is fine. I tried downloading the full DIVX codecs and everything else on the site and rebooting ... but still no sound.

My sound clips play on the PC when recorded at the lower resolutions but the sound trouble starts with 'UHQ' widescreen recordings which contain a DIVX watermark. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by Trevor25222

Download VLC and see if it works as it contains most codecs internally. Be cautious with codec packs and select only what you need as it can interfere with other codecs. Use GSpot as mentioned above and then choose the codec out of the k-lite pack.

I've had a similar problem with .avi files ripped from a DVD. Play fine in the computer on VLC but can't get sound on those files on the tv.

My solution was simply putting the ripped .avi files through another application that converts them to .avi files.

Sounds silly, I know, converting from .avi to .avi, but something in the codecs changes and they play on my tv without a problem now.

(Can't really give advice about the apps, as I'm working on a Mac.)

Save time and just google/install k-lite codec pack.

The GSpot utility was of no use ... all it said was 'No Codec Information' for that file, a short MPEG-4 (.MOV).

I installed the basic k-lite: no improvement ... then the full k-lite, and still no sound was forthcoming from the video clip, despite Windows Media Player stating 'Codec Acquired' at the start of play.

The clip plays with sound on the taking camera but not on my PC, a 2007 Toshiba Satellite with Windows xp. I never have any other issues with sound on media, but problem suggests something amiss occurs in the transfer from SD Card to PC. I did copy the file over a second time, without benefit. Any PC settings to check or revise? Thanks for replies.

P.S. Camera offers the following recording qualities: UHQ (640x480), UHQ Wide (848x480), HQ (640x480), HQ Wide (848x480), Normal (640x480) & LP (320x240). None provide sound on my PC currently. They did in the past but something must have become corrupted in the SD Card (8 GB but camera can take it) or the computer. Perhaps re-format the SD Card? Which video quality is best for viewing on a modern flatscreen TV?

Edited by Trevor25222

[/b]I installed the basic k-lite: no improvement ... then the full k-lite, and still no sound was forthcoming from the video clip, despite Windows Media Player stating 'Codec Acquired' at the start of play.

Forget K-Lite and use CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) instead. You may also want to ditch WMP in favor of a more versatile player like Media Player Classic.

If you continue to have MPEG-4 playback issues, install the DivX H.264 decoder.

[/b]I installed the basic k-lite: no improvement ... then the full k-lite, and still no sound was forthcoming from the video clip, despite Windows Media Player stating 'Codec Acquired' at the start of play.

Forget K-Lite and use CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) instead. You may also want to ditch WMP in favor of a more versatile player like Media Player Classic.

Thanks. The Media Player Classic worked. Also Quick Time. Unbelievable that WMP 11 still can't play sound!

I followed your codec advice but still no sound on WMP ... in fact it now pops up that it doesn't recognise .MOV format ... what a load of junk!

I'm changing to an Apple computer soon ... do they have a proper media player without all this Windows grief?

Edited by Trevor25222

Thanks. The Media Player Classic worked. Also Quick Time. Unbelievable that WMP 11 still can't play sound!

I followed your codec advice but still no sound on WMP ... in fact it now pops up that it doesn't recognise .MOV format ... what a load of junk!

I'm changing to an Apple computer soon ... do they have a proper media player without all this Windows grief?

I suppose if I had actually checked the specifications, I would have advised you to use the VLC Player in the first place. Installing loads of codec packs is never a good idea.

H.264/AVC, MOV format

I suppose if I had actually checked the specifications, I would have advised you to use the VLC Player in the first place. Installing loads of codec packs is never a good idea.

H.264/AVC, MOV format

VLC Media Player does play the .MOV clip -- but displays a watermark of the file name -- which is undesirable. It would not, however, play a simple audio CD though -- so limited usefulness. Seems a suite of various players is required as none seem to have gotten their act together to play all types of media.

H.264/AVC, MOV format

VLC Media Player does play the .MOV clip -- but displays a watermark of the file name -- which is undesirable. It would not, however, play a simple audio CD though -- so limited usefulness. Seems a suite of various players is required as none seem to have gotten their act together to play all types of media.

That's no good as it certainly designed to play Audio CDs. Media > Open Disc to get there manually. Perhaps there is a bug that should be reported. Likewise the watermark, there should be none. I've tested it with a video taken from your camera. No watermark. If you don't want the video's title to appear at the start of the video, go to Tools > Preferences > Subtitles & OSD and then untick the relevant option. You can even switch OSD off completely if you wish.

Again if there is a problem in playing Audio CDs, report the bug so that they can fix it.

Seems a suite of various players is required as none seem to have gotten their act together to play all types of media.

Modern players are capable of handling both audio and video just fine. I prefer to keep them seperate.

I use Winamp for audio/music and MPC-HC for movies.