Class "o" Retirement Visa

Someone hit me up yesterday with a new one:

He is an American who holds a Class O retirement visa, valid through June 2004.

A great opportunity has opened for him, and he now wants to return to working status in Thailand.

He would have no problem leaving Thailand to get a non-im Class B visa - he has held such a Class B visa previously (but never gotten a work permit).

Has anybody had direct experience with "renouncing" a retirement visa, and returning to work? I have my staff checking with Immmigration, but I'm also interested in recent first-hand "real world" case studies.

Main question - does the lucky winner have to wait until the retirement visa expires, or can he get a fresh class B visa to "overwrite" the Class O retirement visa.

I have to assume that this scenario recurs with some regularity around here.

Thanks to anyone with anecdotal input.

Steve

Indo-Siam

[email protected]

Generally it is a nono. Go out and get another B I'd say. But I have heard of it happening at Suan Plu. A classification alteration. Depends on the officer. There's always a chance if he rushes into marriage. . :o A bit drastic though. Send him in with the company letter. Give it a go or you'll never know.

The answer from Immigration - go get a fresh class B visa outside Thailand, and it automatically cancels the Class O retirement visa.

But - I agree that there is probably a way to do this at Suan Phlu.. If anyone has actually done this themselves, I'm interested to hear about it (over a beer).

Cheers!

Indo-Siam