Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

This has got to be one of the WORST reviews I've ever seen from motorcyclenews dot com coffee1.gif

But their conclusion that the Honda CB'r' 250 is "the bike that no one wants" did make me chuckle.giggle.gif

Enjoy!

[media=]

[/media]

what type of intelligence you need to compare apples and oranges you think guys?

Still, cbr250 is the bike lean the most in the video by the way...

Edited by loserlazer

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really such a weird test if you consider the UK context of 33 HP restriction for beginners. These are some of the options you'd consider if you were starting out in the UK. The choice is; go for a bike designed for 33 HP and trade up when you pass your test, or go for a bigger one in restricted form and remove the restrictors when you pass the test.

In the UK the Triumph Bonneville in 33 HP guise is also used as a learner bike.

In reality it will depend on what you plan to do after passing your test ... if you're aiming for a 600, then it makes sense to get a resticted 600, but if you just want to commute, then go for the CBR 250 and keep it.

Looking at these lads in their full leathers, they will be on R1's and Fireblades 5 minutes after they are allowed to exceed 33 HP, so no surprise they chose the bigger bikes and the screaming 'stroker.

But it was interesting to see that the only knee-down moment was on the CBR!

Yep, its nonsense to take the video out of the UK 33hp beginner restriction context.

I guess many guys buying a CBR250R/Ninjette dream of bigger bikes. Is this the fault of the CBR/Ninjette?

man, this morning i was about to kiss the asphalt!!! First major dance with a dangerous moment with cbr250.

i was taking a bend on an alternative road that i seldom use to my office in the morning and it was just a half lean but front tire just slide of the line for nothing very very dangerously for just more than a second and it was a horror moment as there was a truck coming from behind and i had to brake not to crash to the wall as well as it was impossible to maintain the lean. I took that bend many time as it is also the way to down town from my house but first time front tire slide like that man.

I love cbr 250 as it is forgiving, light and agile to get rid of danger. If it is another bike, i might be in the hospital now.

Of course, it happened 4 minutes after i started running the bike and the tires was super cold as it was a cooler morning.

My stock tires are still fine in terms of wear but it takes more time to get them hot as they get harder in time i think. I used them for nearly 14,000 km.

I think time to change the tires for something sticky and new or it was just cold front tire in the morning and unlucky moment?

Thanks.

man, this morning i was about to kiss the asphalt!!! First major dance with a dangerous moment with cbr250.

i was taking a bend on an alternative road that i seldom use to my office in the morning and it was just a half lean but front tire just slide of the line for nothing very very dangerously for just more than a second and it was a horror moment as there was a truck coming from behind and i had to brake not to crash to the wall as well as it was impossible to maintain the lean. I took that bend many time as it is also the way to down town from my house but first time front tire slide like that man.

I love cbr 250 as it is forgiving, light and agile to get rid of danger. If it is another bike, i might be in the hospital now.

Of course, it happened 4 minutes after i started running the bike and the tires was super cold as it was a cooler morning.

My stock tires are still fine in terms of wear but it takes more time to get them hot as they get harder in time i think. I used them for nearly 14,000 km.

I think time to change the tires for something sticky and new or it was just cold front tire in the morning and unlucky moment?

Thanks.

Glad you stayed upright. You might want to study the pavement where you slipped. Delivery trucks spill things all the time and the surface may have some slippery agent on it. I have slipped once on my 250 and it was because of a thin layer of fine, white dust on the street was made from some very slippery stuff. There was a lot of construction in the area so I should have been more careful. There's just so little rubber to contact the road on a bike and not a lot room for mistakes.

Thanks.

Glad you stayed upright. You might want to study the pavement where you slipped. Delivery trucks spill things all the time and the surface may have some slippery agent on it. I have slipped once on my 250 and it was because of a thin layer of fine, white dust on the street was made from some very slippery stuff. There was a lot of construction in the area so I should have been more careful. There's just so little rubber to contact the road on a bike and not a lot room for mistakes.

This has got to be one of the WORST reviews I've ever seen from motorcyclenews dot com coffee1.gif

But their conclusion that the Honda CB'r' 250 is "the bike that no one wants" did make me chuckle.giggle.gif

Enjoy!

[media=]

[/media]

Funny that at the end of the video the guy suggests that the cbr is specially made for the british 33hp law.

Enjoy!

[media=]

[/media]

Funny that at the end of the video the guy suggests that the cbr is specially made for the british 33hp law.

Which ofcourse is rubbish. If it was made for the Euro 33bhp law then it would be a lot closer to 30bhp. The upcoming 400/500 would be the one made for this law (in mildly derestricted form)

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Enjoy!

[media=]

[/media]

Which ofcourse is rubbish. If it was made for the Euro 33bhp law then it would be a lot closer to 30bhp. The upcoming 400/500 would be the one made for this law (in mildly derestricted form)

which upcoming 400/500 man?

Enjoy!

[media=]

[/media]

which upcoming 400/500 man?

THE upcoming 400/500. Man:D

Does anyone know if there is a Honda or Kawasaki dealer in Saraburi? I've looked online but can't find either one there.

There will be many Honda dealers. I do not think there is a Kawasaki dealer there.

anyone knows a Thai website selling bike tires?

Before, i knew a Thai website listing all the tire brand for bikes but cannot locate it now although searched all keywords.

Anyone knows?

found this one but doesn't have all brands

http://tyrethailand.com/main/default.aspx

(works in IE9 but not very well with Firefox)

Edited by taichiplanet

i called API TECH for aftermarket ecu again and they confirmed me that, they have something working for cbr250 now smile.png

They have two available models:

1- 4000 thb as stated at their website - just google API Tech.

2- 5300 thb (new they said) standalone unit.

I called them - my staff - nearly two months ago and they told me that " do not bother yourself on coming to our shop as we do not have anything working with cbr250 now"

And, today, they told me that - my staff - i can go to their shop anytime and all adjustments and setup is free:)

What do you think guys? Did they really make it working within two months?

Or just the same as two months ago but they want to get my money? am i too paranoid?

Edited by loserlazer

guys check this out http://www.minimobracing.com/store/p2831/Takegawa-High-Compression-Piston-Kit---CBR250R/product_info.html

Finally a brand, and a good brand like Takegawa, launched high compression piston, yahoo!

only for 350 USD and claiming an extra 6 hp

Yes man, finally something significant.:)

So, if we buy this, what will be advantages - disadvantages?

And, do i need to do something extra in engine i mean any major modification? Or just swap it with stock piston? That easy?

Instead of paying for an ecu, i can go with this for more power.

Thanks in advance if you can contribute on this.

guys check this out http://www.minimobracing.com/store/p2831/Takegawa-High-Compression-Piston-Kit---CBR250R/product_info.html

Finally a brand, and a good brand like Takegawa, launched high compression piston, yahoo!

Yes man, finally something significant.:)

And, do i need to do something extra in engine i mean any major modification? Or just swap it with stock piston? That easy?

Sounds good.

One thing I was wondering though. The cbr runs very lean so if you are raising the compression ratio I would think it very likely you are going to have to play around with the FI.

Talking out fuel optimizers, I have a spare HMF one, brand new unused. PM me if interested.

Also the HMF slipon too, barely used that I may be tempted to part with.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Such a modification will most certainly have to be coupled with at least some form of adjustable fuel and ignition box. A different cam as well as an exhaust system and filter would help to maximise that 6bhp that was quoted

guys check this out http://www.minimobra...oduct_info.html

Yes man, finally something significant.smile.png

Sounds good.

One thing I was wondering though. The cbr runs very lean so if you are raising the compression ratio I would think it very likely you are going to have to play around with the FI.

Talking out fuel optimizers, I have a spare HMF one, brand new unused. PM me if interested.

Also the HMF slipon too, barely used that I may be tempted to part with.

Such a modification will most certainly have to be coupled with at least some form of adjustable fuel and ignition box. A different cam as well as an exhaust system and filter would help to maximise that 6bhp that was quoted

apetley: thanks

I will go forward with API Tech ecu most probably this weekend and i will order the piston next month.

So, do you guys think i still need a fuel optimizer? But, definitely i am interested anyway for both. Where do you live apetley?

karlos: thanks

I am sure such a lot o fmods needed in a bigger bike to change teh piston/compression. But, for a 250 cc is it same like 600 or 1000 cc bikes?

I have aftermarket pipe and air filter installed already.

Do i need bigger valves? I think cam should be OK. What else i need i am trying to figure out and any suggestion is appreciated a lot.

Edited by loserlazer

I'd be a bit leery of the 6 bhp gain. However, higher compression ratios result in better combustion of the air charge since it's thermal efficiency is higher. I'm not sure whether the fuel in LOS would cause such a modification to start knocking, IIRC you want a minimum of 86 (American rating..some 90+ for international) octane to prevent that.

I'd be a bit leery of the 6 bhp gain. However, higher compression ratios result in better combustion of the air charge since it's thermal efficiency is higher. I'm not sure whether the fuel in LOS would cause such a modification to start knocking, IIRC you want a minimum of 86 (American rating..some 90+ for international) octane to prevent that.

Good point about the octane of the fuels here. If the bike is going to be your daily ride, using octane boosters (if 95 gasohol isn't enough) will cost you an arm and a leg.

I personally think that mild mods such as the ones you already have would be fine. No need hunting for an extra 6bhp when the ER6 you want has over 40bhp more ;)

Good point about the octane of the fuels here. If the bike is going to be your daily ride, using octane boosters (if 95 gasohol isn't enough) will cost you an arm and a leg.

I personally think that mild mods such as the ones you already have would be fine. No need hunting for an extra 6bhp when the ER6 you want has over 40bhp more wink.png

for fuel octane concerns, Caltex has real 95 octane benzene and shell has shell power 95+ nitro gasohol (new) and i am sure these will be sufficient.

And Carlos, you are also right man. The piston mod might cost me around 15,000 to 20,000 thb so instead just wait for my er6f which has enough hp for me.

But, i need to do something these couple of coming weekends as i cannot leave Bangkok and i am bored. Wanna play with my toybiggrin.png Money is not that important - i am not stupid either - but time and how many days will it take to do all these mods etc is a concern. Besides, finding a good mechanic competent enough to handle a piston swap is the biggest concern for me.

But, i will not sell my cbr250 and keep it as my street fighter and daily commuter so i want it as powerful as i can as my light and powerful city bomber. Er6f is too big for bombing the city - yes i can but no need for something hard to do on 50 degree Celsius Bangkok asphalt.

So, anyone knows a good mechanic in Bangkok to undertake such task without screwing me and my bike?

Or what else i need to swap the piston? bigger valves? revised cam? keep in mind that i have after market pipe and air filter installed.

any comment on this is a life saver and will show many people here if it is meaning full to move forward to swap the piston or not?

Thanks for all contributing on it.

Hi ll. I'll be very interested to read further if you go ahead with the hi comp piston.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread the cbr is setup very lean so you will have to pay attention to the fuel used and FI.

I would use something like one of the plugin units now there are a few available.

Easy to set these up and should you go ahead with gas flowing and cam change then easy to setup the fuel metering.

Ed.

Edited by edwinchester

loserlazer,

If you don't go for the piston, and you're riding the bike with aftermarket pipe and filter than I'm pretty sure the fuel controllers would be worth the money mate. I'm sure you're aware of how lean the bike runs in stock form, from all reports (butt dynos) the ones on the market make a night and day difference.