Fugitive Thaksin To Increase Activities Ahead Of Thai Polls

george

To refresh anyones memory less we forget. From May 6 this year when the PM had just proposed a Nov'14 election and UDD had tentatively accepted.

http://www.nationmul...n-30128638.html

and the TV topic

http://www.thaivisa....-live-thursday/

The only politicians who avoid elections are the ones who know they are likely to lose - it's the same the world over.

;)

In other words you didn't read any of those items I pointed out. Thank you.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it laughable when Chalerm tells everyone that if PT wins he'll bring Thaksin back, it's easier said than done

I agree, and if he does come back and miraculously manages to wriggle his way out of being put into jail, I think he'll be living in his own self-made jail / fortress to avoid assassination.

in the spirit of the law this could easily be interpreted as engaging in politics. Well, I suppose the same could be said of Newin.

Could it be a similar situation to foreigners working / volunteering without a work permit?

Edited by hyperdimension

Would you say that under the current Government things have got better or worse than under previous administrations. Leaving aside the red shirt issues, corruption etc do you think the general feeling of well being by Thais has increased. The general consensus of opinion from ex pats who have lived here for longer than the 11 years I have been here is that "grenjai" consideration is disappearing from Thai's personality, and that rudeness and lack of consideration of others is becoming the order of the day. In fact it seems to me that Thailand does not really want to be part of a gobal world and is becoming more insular and inward looking and has no real interst in what is hapenning in the outside world and is becoming an every man for him self culture. Maybe it was always like this but I recall 11 years ago this was really the land of smiles

I think you need to look outside of Thailand and see what has been going on in the world, especially the US and UK. Thaksin was in power during a time when the world economies were high in the clouds like being on drugs. The drugs have worn off and the global financial crisis has certainly affected Thailand over the past few years. Fewer tourists have been visiting, and Chiang Mai has been suffering. Those who don't follow world news or the global financial markets (I think a lot of Thai people may fall into that category, especially in rural areas) might think that it was the changes in government, and not changes in the global economic environment, that has led to the decrease in their "feeling of well being" and increase in general problems in society such as poverty, crime, greed, et cetera. They want to go back to the time when things were great, during the time when Thaksin was in power, so maybe they think that would become reality if Thaksin returns.

Edited by hyperdimension

I agree with the poster who said he should've come back and served his jail time, which would almost certainly have been reduced to a fraction of that which was meted out, if at all. Instead he's now having many more and worse charges laid against him. He's obviously unaware of the saying 'when you're in a hole, stop digging'.

This would have been a true master-stroke. People talk about what a great political player the man is, but simply coming back and facing charges would have created a massive dilemma for the authorities and put them in a very tight corner. Thank goodness the man is a coward.

But had he stayed here, or returned after he went to watch the Olympics, then he could not have avoided all the other court-cases, and would (if found guilty of any of them) have been facing a much much longer time in jail. :D

Which you truly believe would have/will happen here? You are incredibly naiive. When they say 'money number one' they mean it.

Would you say that under the current Government things have got better or worse than under previous administrations. Leaving aside the red shirt issues, corruption etc do you think the general feeling of well being by Thais has increased. The general consensus of opinion from ex pats who have lived here for longer than the 11 years I have been here is that "grenjai" consideration is disappearing from Thai's personality, and that rudeness and lack of consideration of others is becoming the order of the day. In fact it seems to me that Thailand does not really want to be part of a gobal world and is becoming more insular and inward looking and has no real interst in what is hapenning in the outside world and is becoming an every man for him self culture. Maybe it was always like this but I recall 11 years ago this was really the land of smiles

I think you need to look outside of Thailand and see what has been going on in the world, especially the US and UK. Thaksin was in power during a time when the world economies were high in the clouds like being on drugs. The drugs have worn off and the global financial crisis has certainly affected Thailand over the past few years. Fewer tourists have been visiting, and Chiang Mai has been suffering. Those who don't follow world news or the global financial markets (I think a lot of Thai people may fall into that category, especially in rural areas) might think that it was the changes in government, and not changes in the global economic environment, that has led to the decrease in their "feeling of well being" and increase in general problems in society such as poverty, crime, greed, et cetera. They want to go back to the time when things were great, during the time when Thaksin was in power, so maybe they think that would become reality if Thaksin returns.

Hear, hear ! I've heard the same from some Thai people. None could I convince that even k. Thaksin would have a problem with a global economical crisis. Maybe some thought and/or think that shouldn't effect hand-outs. I know why I pay tax.

Apologies if this is on another thread, I just want to remark on Thaksin's 3 populist campaign pledges for the next election-

1.Increase the minimum wage to 300 baht- a good idea but it will probably lead to more employment of illegal Burmese or Cambodian workers.

2.Set a minimum monthly salary for those with a bachelor degree of 15,000 baht- apart from many degrees being useless bits of paper, this will lead many employers turning to employ school leavers instead and many job applicants hiding their degrees.

3.Set a minimum price of 15,000 baht per tonne for rice and link the price to the cost of oil- improving rice efficiency and setting up more cooperatives with farmers running their own rice mills would be a better long term option.

Anything to win votes for Thaksin, anything at all.

I agree with the poster who said he should've come back and served his jail time, which would almost certainly have been reduced to a fraction of that which was meted out, if at all. Instead he's now having many more and worse charges laid against him. He's obviously unaware of the saying 'when you're in a hole, stop digging'.

This would have been a true master-stroke. People talk about what a great political player the man is, but simply coming back and facing charges would have created a massive dilemma for the authorities and put them in a very tight corner. Thank goodness the man is a coward.

But had he stayed here, or returned after he went to watch the Olympics, then he could not have avoided all the other court-cases, and would (if found guilty of any of them) have been facing a much much longer time in jail. :D

Which you truly believe would have/will happen here? You are incredibly naiive. When they say 'money number one' they mean it.

You may call me "incredibly naive" if you like, why should I care ? Flame away ! But I still think you're wrong.

If money was always number one, then how come the first court-case found him guilty, and sentenced him ? I would suggest that at that point, when he saw he was about to be sentenced, is when he first realised that he wasn't Teflon-coated or above-the-law, as he had previously always believed.

Which is why he absconded, despite the then-PM being his own brother-in-law, his money or elite-status would not make his troubles go away. The respected-authority had made it clear to all, that the law was to be applied fairly, without exception. :jap:

Those who don't follow world news or the global financial markets (I think a lot of Thai people may fall into that category, especially in rural areas) might think that it was the changes in government, and not changes in the global economic environment, that has led to the decrease in their "feeling of well being" and increase in general problems in society such as poverty, crime, greed, et cetera. They want to go back to the time when things were great, during the time when Thaksin was in power, so maybe they think that would become reality if Thaksin returns.

and Thaksin has repeatedly fed into those misconceptions and misunderstandings at numerous call-ins and press releases by promising a return to a burgeoning economy and good times for all with his extraordinary financial abilities if he is placed back in charge.

His insidious manipulations of those with less education is a particularly nasty trait of his and he's been doing it for a long time going way to paying off Thailand's IMF debt early... with many thinking he did so with own funds. Any number of ill-informed (pun intended) still think the difference between what their medical treatment cost them (30 baht) and the hospital's actual cost was satisfied by Thaksin's personal monies.

Edited by Buchholz

Apologies if this is on another thread, I just want to remark on Thaksin's 3 populist campaign pledges for the next election-

1.Increase the minimum wage to 300 baht- a good idea but it will probably lead to more employment of illegal Burmese or Cambodian workers.

2.Set a minimum monthly salary for those with a bachelor degree of 15,000 baht- apart from many degrees being useless bits of paper, this will lead many employers turning to employ school leavers instead and many job applicants hiding their degrees.

3.Set a minimum price of 15,000 baht per tonne for rice and link the price to the cost of oil- improving rice efficiency and setting up more cooperatives with farmers running their own rice mills would be a better long term option.

Anything to win votes for Thaksin, anything at all.

Yes, absurd proclamations, particularly the 15K for a degreed worker, irregardless of the job.

In keeping with his manipulations, I imagine a fair amount of people would believe that any subsidy offset used to cover the disparity of what an employer could afford to pay and the 15K minimum would be financed personally from Thaksin's bank account.

Or maybe, just maybe there was an agreement that he not come back. It would be wonderful symbolism to have Mr. Thaksin incarcerated. Unfortunately, had he been detained I believe it would have created a major political problem and greater unrest. Mr. Thaksin would have had to have been kept in a special facility and I doubt he would have been terribly inconvenienced. I'd go further and suggest he's have been put up in "club med" style accomodations. No anal cavity searches, no roll call at 5 AM, no menial labour requirements. There Mr. Thaksin would sit, a martyr receiving visits from loyalists all the while people would keep vigil outside his place of detention. Free Thaksin the chants would go. Many would go on hunger strikes and show public displays of outrage etc. No, I believe Mr. Thaksin being in exile serves the government's purposes far better.

Or maybe, just maybe there was an agreement that he not come back. It would be wonderful symbolism to have Mr. Thaksin incarcerated. Unfortunately, had he been detained I believe it would have created a major political problem and greater unrest. Mr. Thaksin would have had to have been kept in a special facility and I doubt he would have been terribly inconvenienced. I'd go further and suggest he's have been put up in "club med" style accomodations. No anal cavity searches, no roll call at 5 AM, no menial labour requirements. There Mr. Thaksin would sit, a martyr receiving visits from loyalists all the while people would keep vigil outside his place of detention. Free Thaksin the chants would go. Many would go on hunger strikes and show public displays of outrage etc. No, I believe Mr. Thaksin being in exile serves the government's purposes far better.

Perhaps that Rakesh Saxena scenario might have occurred when Samak and Thaksin's brother-in-law were PMs at the time of his prosecution, but I'd like to think that when those criminal incompetents were tossed out, that he would then have had no exceptional treatment and subsequently did his double decade of confinement (from the 13 remaining cases) in Bang Kwang like all other common criminals.

Sadly, it was a missed opportunity to make inroads into correcting entrenched corruption.

Still, if he returns, that opportunity returns as well.

Well, now, Khun Diarrhea-of-the-Mouth, what does his number of posts have to do with the price of tea in China? Maybe he uses a variety of sign-in names, just to confound folks like you.

As a northern Thai, Mr. Super-Duper, he's probably a much better litmus test than you are. But, as you will see if you read my post, I was talking about my village in general.

now now khun 63 posts! I was simply balancing the 'Thailand hates Thaksin' rubbish - if this is true hold elections and find out!

I wash my hands of politics , I just want to live in peace, etc etc , recent quotes from Takkie the reformed angel

Thaksin said his terrorism charges were politically motivated. He is right ,he tried to overthrow the elected Government by force with a rent a mob. That was political and a deliberate act of terrorism.

Now he is going to carry out political activities in Denmark, lets see what happens with that Government when Thaksin starts calling for an uprising using their soil. The Germans have already stopped him doing this so you have to think they all will.

He could come back and face the courts, nothing is stopping him apart from his pride.

He once claimed he was persecuted like Mandela. You think he would have jumped for joy when given the prison sentence as he could have been the poor little downtrodden serf just like Nelson. Mandela thought got 20 years solitary . Takkie only had 2 to server so the time would have been a snip and you could guarantee he would have had colour TV in his cell and slept on his own.

Mandela didnt oversee the biggest human rights abuse in the recent history of his country while PM so it looks like they are a tad different

Nelson Mandela was a President of his country, never a Prime Minister (PM).

To refresh anyones memory less we forget. From May 6 this year when the PM had just proposed a Nov'14 election and UDD had tentatively accepted.

http://www.nationmul...n-30128638.html

and the TV topic

http://www.thaivisa....-live-thursday/

The only politicians who avoid elections are the ones who know they are likely to lose - it's the same the world over.

;)

In other words you didn't read any of those items I pointed out. Thank you.

Oh I get it, but do you?

A definitive way to shut up those pesky protesters calling for elections is to give them one (quickly, without all manner of get out clauses), and that is what any politician who knew they could win would do..

Of course I understand that is not a good strategy choice for those politicians who think they are likely to lose.

:D

I think you are right in saying that a Thaksin in exile is an easier situation for the authorities to manage than a Thaksin incarcerated. What i don't follow is why you think that Thaksin would agree to a move that made things easier for the authorities. Thaksin always serves his own interests first and if he knew that coming back and facing up to his crimes would benefit him in the long run and open the path for a possible return to power, then i'm sure regardless of what the authorities wanted, he would have done so. I think what has held him back isn't some backroom deal, rather the fact that he has no spine and the thought of subjecting himself to any form of discomfort that short term imprisonment might bring, is simply too much for his fragile sensibilities and ego to bare.

A definitive way to shut up those pesky protesters calling for elections is to give them one (quickly, without all manner of get out clauses), and that is what any politician who knew they could win would do..

Of course I understand that is not a good strategy choice for those politicians who think they are likely to lose.

How is it definitive? The government is already in place legally and having followed due parliamentary process, despite what the reds might claim. If the Democrats caved in to the demands of a small group on the streets as you suggest, and called an early election, should they have won what would have stopped the reds simply continuing the protests with the claim that the new elections were also in some way illegitimate? Or had the reds won, what would have stopped the yellows from taking the place of the reds on the streets, themselves making the same claims that the reds had been making about unfair elections?

The coup cut short the term of a government. What you favour, amounts to the same thing. First step to getting back on a stable democratic footing is allowing governments to serve their time and then allowing the people to have their say.

Oh I get it, but do you?

Can you point out any time when a government (any country) called an election more than 18 months early just because they thought they could win? Except Thaksin in 2006 ofcourse, when he had his people in the Election Commission making sure everyone could see how people voted.

And a simple condition like "stop your protest" and "don't pay people to vote" aren't really too much to ask for when someone is trying to force a government into early elections, is it?

Also, the idea of having the right constitution, agreed to by everyone, before an election isn't a bad idea. Particularly when everyone agrees that the current constitution needs changing and some of those changes affects how a election should be run and who can stand for election.

<snip>

The coup cut short the term of a government. What you favour, amounts to the same thing. First step to getting back on a stable democratic footing is allowing governments to serve their time and then allowing the people to have their say.

The coup did not cut short the term of government. The CARE-TAKER government was already overdue in organising the required elections.

oHas he sold his story to HELLO magazine yet? They are always on the look out for failures who ant one last pay day before saling off into oblivion. Surely he must realize if he every comes back someone if going to knock him off. You have had your go, failed now on your bike, let someone else have ago.

'failed' are you crazy? he was toppled by an illegal coup

He was illegally in the PM's post as his term had expired and he had left office already. Just because he waltzed back into govt. house, with no one in authority to tell him he couldn't, doesn't give you the right to chang history to suit your needs. No one on this forum is ignorant of the true history so you are wasting my time with your propaganda.

As a northern Thai, Mr. Super-Duper, he's probably a much better litmus test than you are. But, as you will see if you read my post, I was talking about my village in general.

now now khun 63 posts! I was simply balancing the 'Thailand hates Thaksin' rubbish - if this is true hold elections and find out!

and lets hope you dont get what you want :annoyed: if you do you will learn and move quickly out of Thailand - Mr T is as evil as they come and you will only understand that to late if your wish comes true - but you wont suffer only the poor Thais :bah:

evil is as evil does - i do not 'wish' for T to come back - I wish for a 'good man' to lead the Nation - but I don't see one :(

'None so blind as those who will not see'This idiom is used when people refuse to accept facts presented to them. ('None so deaf as those who will not hear' is an alternative.)

<snip>

The coup did not cut short the term of government. The CARE-TAKER government was already overdue in organising the required elections.

True. I should have said "cut short their grasp on power".

<snip>

True. I should have said "cut short their grasp on power".

I agree with above. Plus, am still flummuxed by the Reds (read: Thaksin's) refusal to each of Abhisit's generous offers, last Spring, for earlier elections. The 1st offer was for an election a year earlier than required. The 2nd offer was for 15 months earlier. The puppetmaster and his Red 'yes men' thought they were hanging tough by refusing both offers - now the whole crowd (except run-away Arisman and no-backbone Thaksin) are wearing sienna pajamas in locked facilities.

evil is as evil does - i do not 'wish' for T to come back - I wish for a 'good man' to lead the Nation - but I don't see one :(

'None so blind as those who will not see'This idiom is used when people refuse to accept facts presented to them. ('None so deaf as those who will not hear' is an alternative.)

Oh really? and just who is the 'good man' that I am too blind to see?

(quote)

evil is as evil does - i do not 'wish' for T to come back - I wish for a 'good man' to lead the Nation - but I don't see one :(/quote)

(quote)

(/quote)

Put on your glasses and read again. It said 'but I don't see one'

(edit: correct quote marks)

(quote)

evil is as evil does - i do not 'wish' for T to come back - I wish for a 'good man' to lead the Nation - but I don't see one :(/quote)

(quote)

(/quote)

its "will not see"

K. Thaksin gets help from family, elder cousin Chaisit:

"Former supreme commander Chaisit Shinawatra announced on Saturday that he will run for an MP seat in a Ratchaburi constituency.

“Personally, I don’t like politics. But the current political situation is damaging the country and I have to step in to help settle the problemâ€, Gen Chaisit said."

Just like k. Thaksin he'd rather not get involved in politics, but feels a need to help settle the problem. I guess it still doesn't occur to him staying away might be a better solution.

(quote)

(quote)

(/quote)

its "will not see"

so? answer? where??? where is this 'good man'?