Thai ICT Ministry May Further Control The Internet

webfact

... the UK is the most surveiled country on earth)

Its News to me!

Can you produce the Evidence on that statement.?

Really, a surprise? Well back in 2006 a group of academics with the title the Surveillance Studies Network, presented a report to the 28th International Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners' Conference in London, hosted by the Information Commissioner's Office. As exemplars, the report provides the following pieces of data:-

4.2 million CCTV cameras in the UK, which equates to 1 for every 14 people.

a person may be captured on over 300 cameras in a day.

By the by Privacy International literally applies the colour black to the UK [an Endemic Surveillance Society] in terms of being viewed as the worst country in the EU in terms of privacy protection.

Regards

PS This was when the then UK Data Commissioner used the phrase "sleep-walk[ing] into a surveillance society".

Source McCahill, M. and Norris, C. (2003), ‘Estimating the extent, sophistication and legality of CCTV in London’, in M. Gill (ed.) CCTV, Perpetuity Press.

Source Norris, C and Armstrong, G. (1999), The Maximum Surveillance Society: The Rise of Closed Circuit Television, Oxford:Berg.:42

Edited by A_Traveller

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please educate me as I seem to confuse the definitions of democracy and communist.......

The simple question of where will it all end one would assume to be obvious unless you are the ones in control or simply do not care.

Ahh, well it follows the TVF rule;

When we agree with a decision it is a demonstration of democracy.

When we disagree with a decision it is communism run amok.

Perhaps the government would have better results if it taught children to inform on their parents. It works in North Korea. May PM Abhisit can speak to the heir apparent of the wonderful North Koreans and get some pointers on how to quash this internet threat.

That tactic worked well for Hitler.

I'm getting these stupid ICT warnings every time my internet connection comes back. My subversive action? FB games such as Kingdoms of Camelot :ph34r: Oh and they blocked access to an aviation hobby website for 6 months. Good to see they are on the ball. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mosha

I'm getting these stupid ICT warnings every time my internet connection comes back. My subversive action? FB games such as Kingdoms of Camelot :ph34r: Oh and they blocked access to an aviation hobby website for 6 months. Good to see they are on the ball. :rolleyes:

I'm only getting redirected to True website every so many hours, equally annoying though.

Freedom of speech cannot and should not be controlled, the end of freedom of speech is the end of freedom itself and ensures that a small number of demons have control over the masses. Not only that, but it is an utter waste of time and money blocking websites as it does not work. There isn't a single person in China with a brain who cannot access what they want via VPN / remote desktop etc to a jurisdiction where they can see as much content as any other western internet user can. China with all it's might and wealth have failed in this regard because it technically isn't possible, but the ICT thinks it can succeed, sure it can.

I wonder which government acronym is responsible for the garbage soaps where someone gets stabbed, beat up or shot in every episode normalising this behaviour. I never used to believe watching violence on TV had any bearinng on actual violence commited, but I've revised my opinion since coming to Thailand to live and seen what I've seen. Dealing with this garbage TV would be a better use of time and money than trying and susequentty failing to block internet sites and spying on its own citizens (yes I know this goes on the world over and the UK is the most surveiled country on earth). But despite being highly surveiled I dont know of a single website that is blocked in UK.

IMO this coupled with the recent refusal to adopt English as the second language in schools is more proof of those in power using every stoneage trick in the book to keep the masses uneducated and uninformed for easier subjugation. God forbid the masses here are informed and educated, nope can't allow that.

Its News to me!

I thought it was common knowledge - A traveller has answered the question. If still in doubt show me a country with a greater ratio of CCTV cameras than 1 for every 14 people.

Freedom of speech cannot and should not be controlled, the end of freedom of speech is the end of freedom itself and ensures that a small number of demons have control over the masses. Not only that, but it is an utter waste of time and money blocking websites as it does not work. There isn't a single person in China with a brain who cannot access what they want via VPN / remote desktop etc to a jurisdiction where they can see as much content as any other western internet user can. China with all it's might and wealth have failed in this regard because it technically isn't possible, but the ICT thinks it can succeed, sure it can.

I wonder which government acronym is responsible for the garbage soaps where someone gets stabbed, beat up or shot in every episode normalising this behaviour. I never used to believe watching violence on TV had any bearinng on actual violence commited, but I've revised my opinion since coming to Thailand to live and seen what I've seen. Dealing with this garbage TV would be a better use of time and money than trying and susequentty failing to block internet sites and spying on its own citizens (yes I know this goes on the world over and the UK is the most surveiled country on earth). But despite being highly surveiled I dont know of a single website that is blocked in UK.

IMO this coupled with the recent refusal to adopt English as the second language in schools is more proof of those in power using every stoneage trick in the book to keep the masses uneducated and uninformed for easier subjugation. God forbid the masses here are informed and educated, nope can't allow that.

Its News to me!

UK most CCTV cameras per capita in the world - The BBC

Per capita there are more surveillance cameras in the UK than any other country in the world - more than a million according to one recent estimate.

Thanks for the wiki link - I only see one URL mentioned and that wasn't an outright ban (scorpions wiki album cover) and that was by only some ISP's who chose to block it. It was not a mandatory ban from on high. I don't see this happening enmasse and again it's very easy to circumvent.

... end removed

It's not strange you can't find a large list of websites blocked in the UK. Any blocked are not publicized. The IWF site only says "The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) provides a dynamic list of individual web pages with child sexual abuse content to its members, companies within their group and Licensees that have the ability to filter and block access to such content." Probably those who get the list are under clear legal obligations not to disclose.

Also interesting is

http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

future restriction are basicly possible and it depends on the policy of the Home Office (status 2006/2007).

As I said before internet censorship is not a specific Thai problem. It's a general problem the world has to come to terms with.

The point I was making was how futile it is, what laws little England passes with the help of its toothless IWF quango are meaningless and unenforceable in the global context and are technically easy to circumvent. I'm sure soon we will have some stasi styled world internet police which the UK and US would love.

Prohibition of information like most other forms of prohibition, eg. alcohol & drugs are always abject failures, and you can add prohibition of communication / information to that list too.

"I imagine that most people will not be able to circumvent it and that they can hunt us down if they want to," she said, adding that it was a shame because freedom of expression is the building block of democracy.

This, combined with online witch-hunts by some royalists, is leading to a new level of censorship and self-censorship. "The line between what people can say and what they cannot say is blurred. People might start to censor themselves because of fear," she said, adding that Thailand could become a country where "no one wants to say anything".

As I've posted a few things on UK internet filtering, here an opinion from a USA Senate candidate on freedom of speech for a change :)

''I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that's one of the things freedom requires is that we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn't mean we approve of it.''

—Kentucky GOP Senate candidate Rand Paul, taking issue with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 while arguing that government should not prevent private businesses from discriminating on the basis of race, interview with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, May 21, 2010

and

"''The greatest threat to America is not necessarily a recession or even another terrorist attack. The greatest threat to America is a liberal media bias.''

—Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), member of the Tea Party Caucus, June 4, 2009"

(edit: added second quote)

Edited by rubl

Freedom of speech.

This GOP House Candidate would be jailed in Germany:

''I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things.''

—Ohio GOP House candidate and Tea Party favorite Rich Iott, explaining why for years he donned a German Waffen SS uniform and participated in Nazi re-enactments as part of a group that calls itself Wiking (Atlantic interview, Oct. 2010)

Can someone please educate me as I seem to confuse the definitions of democracy and communist.......

The simple question of where will it all end one would assume to be obvious unless you are the ones in control or simply do not care.

I just wonder if IP Star(Satelitte Dish Internet) has any web sites blocked???? I use a satellite internet dish in the middle east with no blocking what so ever but if you use dial up or use ADSL or use wireless many sites are blocked but on satellite net no blocking whats so ever. I wonder if Thailand is the same>>>

IpStar itself no - it is just a link to the ISP here the same as a wire and it can only take you there first. Your ISP that connects your internet to IpStar does the blocking and in Thailand is required to by law, If your down link to the ISP is in another country it might not be under their control..

My ISP ToT via Ipstar was blocking a link to a news paper online. (Asia sentinel I believe it was) I found the link on the first page of Google news US and it was about Thai army and media spin from what I got from the title and lead in part, but the link was blocked with the pretty little sign from MICT. I didn't try to bypass as that is illegal.

It is vary rare that I see a blocked site, but have seen it in some odd places. A web cam that I found that shows stock car races live in New England started being blocked. I feel much safer for it - you know speed kills.:jap:

Perhaps the government would have better results if it taught children to inform on their parents. It works in North Korea. May PM Abhisit can speak to the heir apparent of the wonderful North Koreans and get some pointers on how to quash this internet threat.

Something like this already exist.

What and where ?

What and where ?

pmcall.jpg

Report improper websites - July 31, 2010

The billboard: All together creating an online world for a qualified learning society - If you find an improper website, call 1212

http://www.2bangkok.com/blocked.shtml

It seems in China is more (internet) freedom than in some Asian countries (I must be cautius)

You may name the countries you think have less (internet) freedom. That's still within limits :)

What and where ?

pmcall.jpg

Report improper websites - July 31, 2010

The billboard: All together creating an online world for a qualified learning society - If you find an improper website, call 1212

http://www.2bangkok.com/blocked.shtml

Not really similar to 'if it taught children to inform on their parents'. More like the big 'report here' button on this website

http://www.iwf.org.uk/

In a few years we'll see ads that say:

"WELCOME TO THAYANMAR - JUST A GENERALLY GOOD COUNTRY. Generals control the government. Generals control the media. Generals control the internet. Generals control all business, large and small. And where the Generals are trying to control your every thought.

Please remember to tip generously the tuk-tuk & taxi mafia, as they have to have something left for their families after they pay the Generals for the lease of their vehicles.

And enjoy our beautiful women who are affectionately known as General Bar Girls, as they generously donate half their earnings to the General Retirement Fund, which is for Generals only, of course.

If you have any problems at all in our beautiful country, you can file a General Complaint Form. However, if not filled out exactly as required, and in Thai, you could be subject to filing a false report which, under our General Law can mean life imprisonment or a firing squad.

Thank you and enjoy your stay."

Thailand should be more concerned with quality than content,, at home 4G is the rage and in Thailand they are still quibbling about 3G which will be obsolete when we get it,

Go back home then ((-: I was very happy 6 years ago when I get finally an internet connection again, after 5 years slow surfing with a 56k modem and two years no telephone line at all!

TiT nothing to do with IT