Langkawi, Malayasia From Samui

HAs anyone traveled from Koh Samui to Langkawi in Malaysia before? , i am looking for at a short break there, as it is the closet non thai island to Thailand... i dont want to fly BKK air, as i know it will cost a fortune, any suggestions on the land route? is there a train from Surrat to the mainland near Landkawi Island...

also if anyone has been there, what is it like, any hotel or areas to stay recommendation?

Cheers

any and every tour/ticket agency in haad yai will sell you a bus ticket to langkawi. if you leave on the 7am ferry you'll be in langkawi around sunset.

is that a boat / combined ferry ticket? is it easy to get a bus from Samui to had yai?

any and every tour/ticket agency in haad yai will sell you a bus ticket to langkawi. if you leave on the 7am ferry you'll be in langkawi around sunset.

is that a boat / combined ferry ticket? is it easy to get a bus from Samui to had yai?

yes, and it's very easy to get from samui to haad yai. go to the bus station on nathon beach road, it's very easy to spot as it is the one place where all of the big vip buses park. combined ferry and mini bus ticket to haad yai is around 450 baht. once you are approaching haad yai city limits, the driver will ask everyone where they want to be dropped off, i usually go to robinsons department store, there are at least two ticketing agencies around the corner, each offering tickets to langkawi. you could tell the driver Kings Hotel just as easily, the ticket agents are then in full view and robinsons is across the street.

combined ferry and mini bus ticket to haad yai is around 450 ba

Last time I did this it was normal bus (not uncomfortable but not VIP or a minibus) and bus stopped at main bus stop at Had Yai only, bus was slow got there around 5.30 if I remember correctly after leaving at 9.30am, onward travel motorbike taxis, did I miss or is there a faster mini bus to Hat Yai?

Last time I did this it was normal bus (not uncomfortable but not VIP or a minibus) and bus stopped at main bus stop at Had Yai only, bus was slow got there around 5.30 if I remember correctly after leaving at 9.30am, onward travel motorbike taxis, did I miss or is there a faster mini bus to Hat Yai?

sounds like you took the normal commercial bus line that stopped in either surat thani or nakhorn sri thammarat before going to haad yai. if you ask specifically for the mini bus to haad yai the only stops you will make are for fuel and food and everyone on board gets to choose their drop off point.

sounds like you took the normal commercial bus line that stopped in either surat thani or nakhorn sri thammarat before going to haad yai. if you ask specifically for the mini bus to haad yai the only stops you will make are for fuel and food and everyone on board gets to choose their drop off point.

Can you post the number for the direct bus to Had Yai. It would obviously be helpful to a few people.

sorry, don't have any number either for the bus or the bus company. it is however located opposite the old seatran ferry pier and you will always see the VIP buses parked there. just look for the huge purple SCB bank sign, it's adjacent to the small ticket agent shop with a large sign on the front of the building that says "samui bus station" or bus stop something like that.

the ladies in there that i have dealt with in the past do speak passable english so just tell them you want the mini bus to haad yai and you should be there by 2pm.