One Way Ticket To Uk Or Return?

hi there, just got a 6 month visa for my girlfriend today and was wondering if i booked her a ticket to the uk would there be a problem if i just booked a one way ticket then later booked the return leg back to thailand? would this cause a problem for her at immigration?

Might be an idea to get her a fully refundable return leg and just cash it after she's in. I do find it particularly irritating with immigration requiring a return ticket when you are on a long stay visa because very often it forces you into a high priced ticket or, if you do get a decent fare, restrictions that prevent you making changes at reasonable cost. When you're on a 6 month visa, who knows for certain which day you're traveling back? What happens if some sort of emergency arises? Surely if you intend to become illegal, chucking away the return half of the ticket is the least of your worries.

There is no requirement for a visitor to the UK to have a return or onward ticket when entering the UK.

However, a visitor may be refused entry if they cannot produce such a ticket, or show that they have funds available to purchase one, when/if asked to do so.

I've often found air tickets to be cheaper when purchased in BKK rather than London, so myself have also purchased return tickets (paying careful attention to costs for changes). Although there are many factors that play into this scenario.

As 7by7 says, not a requirement, but could be a problem if questioned.

Also, credit cards are a contentious issue and often not considered as sufficient proof of ability to support yourself or indeed purchase a ticket.

Cash money is best.

Remember that it is funds available to, not funds carried by, the person seeking entry.

These funds could be in their bank, their sponsor's bank or even that of a third party (or any combination of these) as long as the funds are available to the person.

I agree that some form of open ended or changeable return purchased in Thailand would probably be cheaper than buying two single tickets.

Remember, though, that it is funds available to, not funds carried by, the person seeking entry.

These funds could be in their bank, their sponsor's bank or even that of a third party (or any combination of these) as long as the funds are available to the person.

Indeed. By cash money, I meant liquid assets, didn't mean to suggest carrying a wedge.

Although having some currency with you is always good too.

As said, you can do it any way you want if you have the money to buy a ticket once in UK. However, I have never actually found it cheaper to buy two one-way tickets. Usually, buying a return and paying a fee to change the return date ( usually $50 or $100 ) has worked out cheaper.

Bangkockney, do you really find tickets cheaper in BKK than LDN ?

I always fly with Etihad, and I pay around £400 - £500 and can never find a price like that in BKK !

Yeah, I just booked to fly 2 adults 1 child, Emirates, return for around £1,200 (paid in THB) (this includes a return in the expensive month of December). Found this deal to be about £100 cheaper in BKK. I concede this is not big chips to everyone, but a saving is a saving.

When it comes to plane tickets, one really has to shop around to get value.

However, I have never actually found it cheaper to buy two one-way tickets. Usually, buying a return and paying a fee to change the return date ( usually $50 or $100 ) has worked out cheaper.

Agreed and also my preferred method of doing it.

Edited by bangkockney

I always fly with Etihad, and I pay around £400 - £500 and can never find a price like that in BKK !

Yeah, I just booked to fly 2 adults 1 child, Emirates, return for around £1,200 (paid in THB) (this includes a return in the expensive month of December). Found this deal to be about £100 cheaper in BKK. I concede this is not big chips to everyone, but a saving is a saving.

However, I have never actually found it cheaper to buy two one-way tickets. Usually, buying a return and paying a fee to change the return date ( usually $50 or $100 ) has worked out cheaper.

Outstanding price! Please let us in on which agent is getting that deal for you.

My GF is currently on a visitor visa to the UK , and I booked her a one way ticket as we wanted to travel back to thailand together latter in the Year.

After my GF came through immigration she was in tears and really upset , The immigration officer had picked up the fact that she had only a one way ticket , fortunatley I had already advised my girlfriend some questsions which may get asked I.E

Q1 Why have you only got a one way ticket ?

A1 Because myself and my Boyfriend wish to travel back to thailand together ( My GF had a printout of a potential flight which we had sourced)

Q2 Do you have enough money to buy a return ticket

A2 My GF was able to show that she had enough money for a return ticket and also showed them her Thai Bank Book.

They also asked many general question about her relationship with me and also what she would be doing during her stay in the UK.

Immigration eventually let my GF through after about 20 minutes.

I'm Not sure if I would book a one way ticket in future !!!

Cheers

ive just booked etihad single bkk/man 16000bht,sat 2nd april,return was 44000,last year single man/bkk quatar was 375quid.

Not sure that there is much of a price difference nowadays especially as the Baht is so strong. Tickets bought in Thailand do tend to allow much more flexibility with regard to the return leg.

UK tickets tend to be fixed return date, extra charges to change or with some no changes are possible and you have to use it as it is or chuck it away!!!