Wife Pregnant In Uk

Hi guys, my wife and I have been living in the UK since June 10th, she was granted a 2 year settlemt visa. Well now wer'e in the UK she has become pregnant which is a huge shock as we have been told that she woudn't get pregnant due to her lifestyle choices at a younger age of too much drinking,smoking and general not looking afterher body. Well now we're here and she's pregnant. she went to the doctors with my Mother who is registered at the docotrs and myself also but the doctors wanted to charge £70 as my wife obviously isn't a UK citzen. Now I'm waiting to hear back off them next week as it's the weekend and they said they need to speak to the manager of the docors surgery. Can anyone who has been thrugh this giveme some advice? My wife is working and has a national insurance number so I thoughtshe would be alowed to go the doctors like the rest of us. If anyone has any advice please could you let me know how you got on. Paying for everything private will end up being real expensive. Also I don't want to end up breaching her visa rules of no recourse to public funds, how does this work? We tried so hard for her visa and put alot of effort into getting it so I don't want to risk anything that might come back to bite us in the ass in the future. Any advice orhelp is much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by baannambua

She is entitled to free NHS, have to register with doctors, no problem.

MY wife had tests done at the hospital for a heart murmer, whilst on settlement visa.

I am glad that they are checking, to see if people are entitled to nhs treatment, even if on this occasion they were wrong.

Edited by steve187

Remember that although she is entitled to NHS care, your GP is under no obligation to accept her as an NHS patient.

If you have any difficulties in this area then you should contact your local Primary Care Trust.

If your GP insists on charging you, you could remind them that they receive payment from the NHS for every new patient registered and for every patient they have on their books.

If the GP doesn't want to register your wife, go to another one.

There is no reason to pay a penny.

Once you have registered your wife with the nhs there are no charges whatso ever for anything the checks the birth etc. Im not sure but after the birth your wife will also be able to get free dental care for one year. Good luck anyway. :)

If you can find a NHS dentist, taking on new patients.

Bloody hel_l.. so Imight have to fork out for every visit to the doctors and for seeing the midwife during her pregnancy etc. Can the Primary Care Trust help with all this? Thanks for the info

Actually, you won't see your GP that much during a pregnancy. Your GP will ask where you want to have the baby, dependant on what hospitals are local to you obviously. The GP then forwards all your details to the Maternity Ward at the hospital and everything is dealt with there.

If there are any complications during pregnancy, like pre-eclampsia, you'll be asked to see your GP for initial assessment and medication, normally methadopa. But, you can go to the Labour Ward for immediate medical care instead, with the same outcome, but a longer wait.

Bloody hel_l.. so Imight have to fork out for every visit to the doctors and for seeing the midwife during her pregnancy etc. Can the Primary Care Trust help with all this? Thanks for the info

If your GP wont register your wife, then the PCT will find you one who will.

I had a simular problem , I had Doctor who said that My wife was not entitled to medical care , The dick would not believe me, so i just changed doctors, i had no problem after that , The problem with some doctors surgeries are that they are fund holders and manage there own accounts and do not like paying for people who they cannot get the money back off the government , which is the real reason that some doctors will not treat none Nationals.