Divorce In Thailand

Sullani

Hi all,

Just wondering who has had any experience or know's the procedure for divorcing in Thailand? I'm not getting divorced myself, I have a friend whose Thai wife wishes to divorce him. She's in LOS and he's in sunny UK, feeling depressed about it!

What's it likely to cost, does he have to be in LOS, can it be granted even if he doesn't consent to it etc etc

If you could let us know I'll pass it on.......

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering who has had any experience or know's the procedure for divorcing in Thailand? I'm not getting divorced myself, I have a friend whose Thai wife wishes to divorce him. She's in LOS and he's in sunny UK, feeling depressed about it!

What's it likely to cost, does he have to be in LOS, can it be granted even if he doesn't consent to it etc etc

Thanks

depends where he was married!

Hi all,

Thanks

depends where he was married!

Buriram

According to my Missus, if they were married in Thailand, they both go to the Amphur city hall and is quite simple. No idea of cost, but not expensive.

Division of property is another matter.

According to my Missus, if they were married in Thailand, they both go to the Amphur city hall and is quite simple. No idea of cost, but not expensive.

Division of property is another matter.

Not had the "pleasure" myself, but my mate said it was easy. Both go to Amphur with passport, ID and marriage papers. Pay something like 50 baht and bye bye. This of course is only if you've come to an agreement on property, etc. Any problems and you have to have a lawyer, big bucks. After 3 years separation she can apply to the Court even if he does not agree.

I am interewsted in this also and had asked similar in another post. When I was living in USA, I could divorce a foreign wife (or any wife) acording to the state law there, providing the wife signed all the necessary papers. For such a divorce to be recognized in Thailand, I would suppose the necessary papers need to be filed in Thailand for recognition there. I am interested in wheather or not a Thai woman is entitled to alimony, ie support in the case of divorce, where both parties are residing in Thailand and there are no children or jointly owned property.

I am interewsted in this also and had asked similar in another post. When I was living in USA, I could divorce a foreign wife (or any wife) acording to the state law there, providing the wife signed all the necessary papers. For  such a divorce to be recognized in Thailand, I would suppose the necessary papers need to be filed in Thailand for recognition there. I am interested in wheather or not a Thai woman is entitled to alimony, ie support in the case of divorce, where both parties are residing in Thailand and there are no children or jointly owned property.

Property obtained during marriage is shared, except the home if in her name. Alimony is payable either by agreement or by Court Order where children are involved. Otherwise "up to you". :D If you get married and divorce in USA most lawyers would advise to "persuade" her it would be best to return to her family :o

Hi all,

Thanks

:o

My experience, from 1979 timeframe, if the law still valid and the marriage was registered in Thailand: (uncontested Divorce procedure)

1. According to my Missus, if they were married in Thailand, they both go to the Amphur city hall and is quite simple. This is true

2. Takes only one day, both parties must agree and SIGN the correct forms legally.

3. If there is property and BOTH PARTIES AGREE TO DISPOSAL OF PROPERTY. (Signed agreement of mutual consent of disposition of property). Copy(or maybe original I can't remember) filed with divorce papers and that is all that is required.

4. Problem is: if partner doesn't agree to disposition of property this "uncontested divorce" can't be used

5. Like I said, if both parties agree and sign, the procedure can be completed in one day at the Amphur.

6. Once papers are signed get copies. Make sure you get translations to English. Get translated copies certified.

Your problems start when one of the parties DOESN'T AGREE. Then lawyers are needed, and like many divorces it can get nasty.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

What about the cost  for  lawyers?? What if one party will not agree?? Then what?

Under what corcumstances can the wife be granted financil support (presuming no children)??

Lawyers will negotiate and understand caselaw. Some require 100,000baht deposit!

Eventually it will be up to the judge. Have not heard of alimony where kids not involved, perhaps someone else has.She should get off her bum and work if she hasn't got a husband to take care of her and doesn't have kids :o

If both parties agree, then yes this can be done within an hour at an amphur. If your friend contests the divorce, then expect a lot of trips to Thailand over the next few years.

I settled with my ex wife and just signed papers at the amphur. I would suggest this option as it's the least hassle free. It costs more like 500B at the amphur as I had to pay tea money to the official or he wouldn't sign the divorce cert.

What about the cost  for  lawyers?? What if one party will not agree?? Then what?

Under what corcumstances can the wife be granted financil support (presuming no children)??

Lawyers will negotiate and understand caselaw. Some require 100,000baht deposit!

Eventually it will be up to the judge. Have not heard of alimony where kids not involved, perhaps someone else has.She should get off her bum and work if she hasn't got a husband to take care of her and doesn't have kids :o

100,000 bht just for starters!!! That could get expensive, if there are disputes. I ahd a friend who had to get a divorce in China from a Chinese lawyer. Simple divorce supposedly. No children or property. It cost $5,000 U.S.

Hi all,

Thanks

They had some guy named Poovong Posai, a lawyer, down speaking in Pattaya 2 weeks ago and he said he had a web site, www.thailandlawyers.com. Pretty sure you have tp show up for the actual divorce which cannot happen until both parties are in attendance.

Hi all,

Thanks

They had some guy named Poovong Posai, a lawyer, down speaking in Pattaya 2 weeks ago and he said he had a web site, www.thailandlawyers.com. Pretty sure you have tp show up for the actual divorce which cannot happen until both parties are in attendance.

Not quite true. If you wish to file for divorce your lawyers can do it under power of attorney. But you would have to turn up for the actual hearing. If your wife did not turn up in spite of being served and given due notice, judgement would be made by default or "in abstentia". The same if your wife served and you didn't turn up.