Would You Register A Domainname To Try Resell It ?

bangkokcitylimits

The ex missus used to make a good living out of doing exactly that. Buy up a domain name that she thought would be wanted then build a cheap basic website then punt it about. It doesn't even have to be in Thailand. The last one she shifted was for Spanish car hire domain name. Paid 45 Dollars for it then sold it for 850 Euros if I remember right.

It is all down to knowing what will sell and what will not.

Actually it's more the question about the expectations of the .co top level domains, are they really gonna be the new .com's ?

If you see what a huge number of .co's have been registered already I guess so. If .co is gonna be a hype, right now you still can find some good ones, but not the same as 3 months ago as there seems to be a run on .co's.

offtopic: here is everything .co.th... who is controlling the .th ????????

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

What you are referring to is known as domaining or domain flipping...

I've been doing it for the past 6 years but not with new domains, I snap up expired domains and sell them on.

Generally .com's will always go for more but some highly searched "keyword" .co tld's can fetch a good price. .co.uk & .de are 2 of them.

Before buying any domain to sell on I recommend doing research into what sells by checking out forums such as NamePros or investing in a domain flipping course

Edited by george
Affiliate link removed /mod

What you are referring to is known as domaining or domain flipping...

I've been doing it for the past 6 years but not with new domains, I snap up expired domains and sell them on.

Generally .com's will always go for more but some highly searched "keyword" .co tld's can fetch a good price. .co.uk & .de are 2 of them.

Before buying any domain to sell on I recommend doing research into what sells by checking out forums such as NamePros or investing in a domain flipping course such as this one

Interesting information, but halfway the video it turns into clever marketing, guru's warn you for guru's :lol: I stuck to the forum, thanks for the info !

cap061.png

Personally I wouldn't. Anything truly valuable is already gone and most likely on droplists already.

You can definitely find domains that will be of value to certain people, but the number of potential customers will be limited and a lot of them will just look for a different name instead if its gone.

I am currently looking to launch a new product in a fairly competitive market (advertising) and have a few possible transfers in the shortlist but am much more likely to purchase a new available domain.

However if you are looking to do this, the better solution is to snap up domains for high traffic keywords, set up a basic site, chuck on adsense and do some SEO.

Not only can the domain make some money through advertising while you own it, you can also build up inbound links and page rank making the domain much more valuable.

This is a side business of mine. If you are new to investing in domains it is best that you don't register anything yourself and study first. Do some Googling there are lots of guides and domain blogs around. Some forums as well.

To put it simply, all of the good domains are already taken so you're going to need to buy domains in the aftermarket or in auctions of dropped domains. There are exceptions but as a noobie you wont know what they are and 95% of the time you'll be wasting your money hand registering worthless domains.

For now, stick to .com. Don't buy and ccTLD's or even .net's or .org's. Only the very best one word domains are worth anything in those extensions and the good ones are already registered.

There is a lot more but I don't have the energy to continue typing. I'd advise you to read, read, read, read, read before buying anything. The rewards can be great.

Just this month I have sold three domains for $1,500, $1,000 and $1,000 respectively. I paid a grand total of less than $250 for the domains - and the buyers all contacted me first. I've also made another $1,000 or so in domain parking revenue from domains I own that get traffic. That revenue is recurring and I make it in my sleep. Domains that get traffic and earn revenue typically sell for 18 months to 10 years of revenue - depending upon a bunch of factors.

Good luck.

About 10 years too late. If the domain is available still then its unlikely that its worth more than the domain reg fee.

Expiring domains might be possible but your competing against thousands of other people, and system utilizing API that will snatch faster than the public name snippers etc..

About 10 years too late. If the domain is available still then its unlikely that its worth more than the domain reg fee.

Expiring domains might be possible but your competing against thousands of other people, and system utilizing API that will snatch faster than the public name snippers etc..

It also depends a lot on your marketing qualities. Sometimes I'm addicted to domain name searching, and own few nice .com's and .co's. If I would really do my best and had some more knowledge I could find buyers for them.

There are also lot of 'new names' that suddenly skyrocket in value, take a name like 'Twitter' etc. just few years ago it had no value at all. The value of domain names is subject to hypes and changes in the market and always changing.

Today you can get e.g. XII-XII-MMXII.com or jajaja.com free while next year it can be worth a fortune etc.

This does make it hella hard for some businesses.

Perhaps its good for money but doesnt really help the world to become a better place.

Please tell me 10 businesses that make the world become a better place ? Now you made me curious. :blink:

This is gonna be another, very long and exhausting discussion I'm affraid. :lol:

If we want to make the world a better place we all should kill ourselves like lemmings. Well I not plan to do that no way.

bwjn13l.jpg

Please tell me 10 businesses that make the world become a better place ? Now you made me curious. :blink:

This is gonna be another, very long and exhausting discussion I'm affraid. :lol:

If we want to make the world a better place we all should kill ourselves like lemmings. Well I not plan to do that no way.

How come this is so difficult to understand for some people? You didn't listen to you mother or what?

If you want to make money it is ok if you do it by providing products or services that people are willing to pay for.

By registering a domain you don't need is just to create problems for other people and charging money for removing the problem.

If anyone still doesn't understand why this is bad then think and think again, ask other people to explain this to you.

It is quite clear there there are people who understand and people who don't ...

Martin

How come this is so difficult to understand for some people? You didn't listen to you mother or what?

If you want to make money it is ok if you do it by providing products or services that people are willing to pay for.

By registering a domain you don't need is just to create problems for other people and charging money for removing the problem.

If anyone still doesn't understand why this is bad then think and think again, ask other people to explain this to you.

It is quite clear there there are people who understand and people who don't ...

Martin

signes-smileys-emoticons194.gif

What's wrong with doing business, allergic for money ? Ever seen a real estate agent who allows owner and buyer having a tea party together without him involved ? Somehow I do agree, I never felt much sympathy for that large companies who have the power to 'hijack' tens of thousands of domains just for easy profit, the usual power of money based on unlimited greed I dislike it also but that is how it is.

But when I, with my modest budget try my best to find some good domains, and later find a developer who is willing to pay for it, let we say $40.000, he will be glad I have the domain for him available and he has the budget for it, no problem (or I just lower the price or he gets a loan). The hippies in the sixties also had their illusions, free bicycles for everyone ! But it did not work out, the free bikes were stolen and sold.

So let we say there is a huge difference it the scale, and the intentions behind.

And actually I believe more in our personal responsibility in HOW we spend our wealth, I did not hear you talking about that.

Now tell me more about 'removing the problem' emoa.gif

In the meanwhile I registered 2 sweet .co domains: japanstyle.co and systemcare.co and will try to sell them by offering them to different domain auctions, if this works I have a list with some more.:)

Neither of those domains are worth anything. Stop wasting your money and learn what makes for a valuable domain.