Would You Register A Domainname To Try Resell It ?

bangkokcitylimits

Domain squatting is antisocial behaviour. There is no service or benefit to society, it just makes life harder for legitimate website operators. It's parasitic.

Do you also feel that way about people who own land and refuse to sell it to developers or hold out for a very high price? It is the exact same thing.

What makes you think domain investors are not 'legitimate website operators'? I am. I own many more domains than I do actual websites but I am constantly developing domains into websites. The current trend is toward mass development services like WhyPark or in mini-sites like ContentMiniSites.com. I use both of those and wouldn't really recommend either but new companies are always coming out with better and better products. In five years I'm certain I'll be able to plug all of my domains into some companies website and I'll have huge beautiful websites with unique content on all of them in minutes. All of those sites will provide real value to visitors.

In the mean time we are biding our time and sitting on our valuable real estate.

There is also the service we provide to high quality content producers who don't mind spending money. A friend of mine sold Vevo.com to Google - were my friend not 'squatting' that domain for years it would have been in use as some kids blog or something and Google would have had to settle for a worse domain.

In short: you have no idea what you are talking about but your views are quite common, unfortunately.

Neither of those domains are worth anything. Stop wasting your money and learn what makes for a valuable domain.

I did not ask YOU to buy did I ? (and see no reason to hire you as a teacher either that might be the biggest waste of all) :jap:

55555+++

Within the next five years, we expect .CO to surpass .NET as the second most popular domain extension on the Internet.

What's wrong with doing business, allergic for money ? Ever seen a real estate agent who allows owner and buyer having a tea party together without him involved ? Somehow I do agree, I never felt much sympathy for that large companies who have the power to 'hijack' tens of thousands of domains just for easy profit, the usual power of money based on unlimited greed I dislike it also but that is how it is.

But when I, with my modest budget try my best to find some good domains, and later find a developer who is willing to pay for it, let we say $40.000, he will be glad I have the domain for him available and he has the budget for it, no problem (or I just lower the price or he gets a loan). The hippies in the sixties also had their illusions, free bicycles for everyone ! But it did not work out, the free bikes were stolen and sold.

So let we say there is a huge difference it the scale, and the intentions behind.

And actually I believe more in our personal responsibility in HOW we spend our wealth, I did not hear you talking about that.

Now tell me more about 'removing the problem' emoa.gif

As I said there is nothing wrong with doing business while providing a service or product that someone is willing to pay for.

But what you do not understand it that the developer who is going to buy your domain, does not need you. He knows what domain name he need. You don't help him by occupying it. He just find that someone has already registered the domain and he tries to find a different domain. If he cannot do that then he may get i touch with you to buy the domain name.

The only thing you do is to increase his cost and reduce the chance of success for him and you didn't do anything at all to increase the value of the domain name.

If you used the domain name to create some value, like a website attracting people and generating some income then it would be ok for you to sell it and make a profit.

If you need an explanation what a real estate agent is doing... well he is providing a market place for people who wants to sell and buy real estate. He is usually also helping with contracts and other legal services and he is doing marketing efforts to expose your house to the buyer. That is what you pay the real estate agent money for.

The buyer of your domain does not need a market place. He already know what domain name he wants. You do not help him with that. He does not need any help with contracts to register his domain. Any registrar will do that for next to nothing and you do not help him with that anyway. And finally he does not need your marketing efforts as he alredy know what domain name he is looking for.

You say you never felt much sympathy for that large companies who have the power to 'hijack' tens of thousands of domains just for easy profit... and so on...

Bad business does not become any better because you are the one doing it, It doesn't become any nicer for the unfortunate guy who need the domain if he has you on the other side of the table instead of a large company. It is simply bad business and it does not belong in modern society.

You are expecting the buyer of you domain to be happy? I think you have a problem putting yourself in other peoples shoes... there is a term for that, professionals us it sometimes...

You also have a problem identifying the difference between free bicycles during the sixties.

Registrations of domains have a next to zero cost. If you take a deep breath at zero cost, who owns the air you just used. Who owns the oxygen you just consumed. Would I tell you I own the oxygen and charge you for that?

You write something like the things you just wrote, I tell you I wrote the same and charge you for the copyright violations... Where do you want it to begin and end?

All these things that we use without anyone charging money for it is an oil in the machinery of business. When you introduce a cost anywhere you slow business down, which means that the efficiency of producing and distributing products and services will be lower. The consumers will pay a higher price which in the end means they need to work more hours to survive, live and be happy.

Most people understand this...

Martin

Edited by siamect

Domain squatting is antisocial behaviour. There is no service or benefit to society, it just makes life harder for legitimate website operators. It's parasitic.

Domain owners pay registration fees that give them the right to use the names they buy, so by definition they are not squatting. The term cybersquatter applies to only a small minority of registrants who wrongfully try to profit from the tiny fraction of the 183 million domains registered worldwide that infringe on trademark rights held by others.

Next time better check your sources before attacking.

As I said there is nothing wrong with doing business while providing a service or product that someone is willing to pay for.

But what you do not understand it that the developer who is going to buy your domain, does not need you. He knows what domain name he need. You don't help him by occupying it. He just find that someone has already registered the domain and he tries to find a different domain. If he cannot do that then he may get i touch with you to buy the domain name.

Bla bla bla etc..

Martin

Normally you are quite clever, but this post was really too stupid to quote all of it.

When a legitimate domain owner is willing to sell his domain to someone for whom it has more value then for him what is wrong with this ??

Also, thanks to this domain owner this domain was still available for him who really wants it, otherwise it would be gone anyway for sure. Any idea how many people on this moment are gambling on the future value of domain names ?

You just try to topple the basic principles of business 'buy and resell' and I wish you many success ! emoa.gif

Bla bla bla etc..

Martin

Normally you are quite clever, but this post was really too stupid to quote all of it.

When a legitimate domain owner is willing to sell his domain to someone for whom it has more value then for him what is wrong with this ??

Also, thanks to this domain owner this domain was still available for him who really wants it, otherwise it would be gone anyway for sure. Any idea how many people on this moment are gambling on the future value of domain names ?

You just try to topple the basic principles of business 'buy and resell' and I wish you many success ! emoa.gif

Thank for wishing me success, maybe I need it if I ever going to make you understand this. Besides this is my last reply on this... understand it now or never.

And thanks for giving me some credit for being clever in "normal" cases. Most people don't....

Well as I said,once again... there is nothing wrong with doing business while providing a service or product that someone is willing to pay for.

"When a legitimate domain owner is willing to sell his domain to someone for whom it has more value then for him".

That is nothing wrong. But if you just occupy the domain without using it, you create problems for people who wants to use it. In that case you are not a "legitimate" domain owner. You are just one of those hijackers you said you didn't like.

Use the domain, build up some value and sell the website with or without the domain name, that is ok...

...."this domain was still available for him who really wants it, otherwise it would be gone anyway" ....

Since when is a domain name gone? The only way a domain name can be gone is when someone like you occupy it without using it... otherwise it is either available or in use.

If it is registered by anyone else, that person have a use for it.... even though it is not available for your victim, it is still of value to the one who registered it before your victim wanted it. It is not gone... Saving it to your victim, and charging him for it, does not increase the total value of the domain name, it decreases the value, because it adds to the startup cost for the business of your victim and therefore reduces the chance of success. It also stops other people from using it, some of those may be more successful as you victim.

Good night....

Edited by siamect

The reason we have so many problems is because people become so money hungry. If we are extoring money from people for a bloody website name where does it end...?

signes-smileys-emoticons18.gif

Outdated and simplistic bias that's no so right, same level as 'a guy who goes to Thailand is a sextourist' emoa.gif

Any idea of the huge amounts the rich spend on developing projects ?

emoa.gifemoa.gifemoa.gifemoa.gif

Thank for wishing me success, maybe I need it if I ever going to make you understand this. Besides this is my last reply on this... understand it now or never.

And thanks for giving me some credit for being clever in "normal" cases. Most people don't....

Since when is a domain name gone? The only way a domain name can be gone is when someone like you occupy it without using it... otherwise it is either available or in use.

If it is registered by anyone else, that person have a use for it.... even though it is not available for your victim, it is still of value to the one who registered it before your victim wanted it. It is not gone... Saving it to your victim, and charging him for it, does not increase the total value of the domain name, it decreases the value, because it adds to the startup cost for the business of your victim and therefore reduces the chance of success. It also stops other people from using it, some of those may be more successful as you victim.

bla bla bla bla etc... same nonsense again...

Good night....

Too simplistic to spend more time on this, get a life ! I gave you up, bye bye.

amazing... emoa.gif

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Neither of those domains are worth anything. Stop wasting your money and learn what makes for a valuable domain.

I did not ask YOU to buy did I ? (and see no reason to hire you as a teacher either that might be the biggest waste of all) :jap:

55555+++

Within the next five years, we expect .CO to surpass .NET as the second most popular domain extension on the Internet.

What do you expect them to say, they are in the business of selling you domain names. The same is said about every new extension. Its all hype.

Its irrelevant anyway, those domains would also be worthless in .net and not even worth much in the .com.

You'll see.

see no reason to hire you as a teacher either that might be the biggest waste of all

I am a professional domainer n00b. What I'm telling you and posting in this thread is Domaining 101.