Buddhist Groups Insight Meditation Etc

bina

can anyone tell me what the karma kagyu school (diamond way) is about: that s the only buddhist group i managed to find in jerusalem: Buddhist Group Jerusalem

National Web site: www.buddhism.org.il

Tradition: Tibetan, Karma Kagyu, Diamond Way

Spiritual Director: the 17th Karmapa Thaye Dorje

Director: Lama Ole Nydahl

and who is this group?

The Community of Mindfulness in Israel (CMI) *

Tradition: Zen Buddhist Master Thich Nhat Hahn

and the Order of Interbeing

Affiliation: Community of Mindful Living

Israel Vipassana Trust

Tradition: S. N. Goenka Vipassana

theravada ?? are they guru cult style?

and what is a : Dharma Facilitator since i found a sight for insight meditaion group in tel aviv... i am always skeptical (sp?) of group things that require money to join.... am just looking for something more than try to see the forest for the trees by my self (too many books too many different ways and i have a jewish questioning mind :o)

obviously i can call and ask but was curious as to what they are before i zoom off and join up ... yes i've checked their web sites but would like to hear from our buddhist forum people first

since i've been reading and participating on the forums for a long time i figure i am ready to do more than just keep reading (i have a very jai yen yen personality, slow to warm up, slow to decide, slow to anger, but fast once i've decided)

that last thing i want is a group that sits around lighting candles for atmosphere and spouting nonsense to a bunch of israeli wannabe escape reality types

bina

Bina, I am afraid I cannot answer your questions in full, but Theravada is the school of Buddhism most widely practiced in Thailand, so would be that most familiar to your Thai workers. Primarily insight meditation, but be aware that your workers will also pratice older Thai customs such as animism and some Hindu hangovers.

A search for and on Buddhanet.com should show you some good local contacts for your area, they have links to groups all around the world.

I would, like you, be very wary of any 'Buddhist' group or teacher that asks for up-front payments, voluntary donations are more the norm, and more acceptable to myself and most other devotees.

Peter.

thanx for responding,

yes i know the differences and i have the addresses just wanted more info on these so called 'dharma groups' and the differences in style among the ones i listed which i did indeed get from buddhanet

it just seems that there is no theravada groups here except for the one vipissana group which sounds very 'fuzzy wuzzy' and yes i know the guys look towards animist mixtures etc...

i was actually looking for myself, the guys here have told me they dont 'bai wat' thats what their wives and mothers do at home, and then send them the various bracelets etc... and they occasionally tam boon for somebodys wat at home....

that last thing i want is a group that sits around lighting candles for atmosphere and spouting nonsense to a bunch of israeli wannabe escape reality types

bina

Check out TM (not Thomas Merton but Transcendental Meditation) in Israel.

In the 70s, I knew a few soldiers who practised on a daily basis.

They were absolutely not the type of guys who went in for lighting candles and holding hands, but most certainly projected an inner calm and a spiritual awareness.

National Web site: www.buddhism.org.il

Tradition: Tibetan, Karma Kagyu, Diamond Way

Spiritual Director: the 17th Karmapa Thaye Dorje

Director: Lama Ole Nydahl

"Lama Ole" is a controversial Danish guy with a penchant for fast motorbikes and parachuting. He supports a rival incarnation of the 17th Karmapa, but apparently has done much to spread this branch of esoteric Tibetan Buddhism in the west. You can read about it in the book The Dance of 17 Lives. Tibetan Buddhism involves a close relationship with a guru.

and who is this group?

The Community of Mindfulness in Israel (CMI) *

Tradition: Zen Buddhist Master Thich Nhat Hahn

and the Order of Interbeing

Affiliation: Community of Mindful Living

Vietnamese Zen Buddhism with its HQ at Plum Village in France. Nhat Hanh has written a lot of good books.
Israel Vipassana Trust

Tradition: S. N. Goenka Vipassana

This is serious insight meditation, considered to be non-sectarian, but has a Burmese Theravada origin. What they normally do is a 10-day retreat in which you follow something like the 8 precepts and a vow of silence. It's free, but dependant on donations. There's a book on the technique and a website at http://www.dhamma.org/

camerate,

thanx ever so much.... that's more or less the info that i was looking for .... when u read the websites u never know how much is b/s and how much is real info.... i'm a basic no nonsense type person and i dont like to follow after people as gurus although i appreciate a good teacher when i meet one.... thats why i cant deal with all this new age meditation junk w/ candles shanti clothes etc... i dont like poses and wanna be types....