Australian Justice Of The Peace

swagman

I have recently prepared a new Power Of Attorney document and need my signature witnessed locally by an Australian Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, Lawyer, or Notary Public.

Do we have any Australians with those qualifications in Chiang Mai?

I don't think the Honorary Australian Consul here can provide the service.

I used a friendly bank manager to "notarize" my signature on financial papers for a U.S. company's pension purposes. While none of the bank stamps did not say NOTIARIZED or NOTARY, it had a bunch of official looking stamps on it. It was accepted; maybe because most people get stuff notarized in the U.S. at a bank? It was free. Might work for you depending upon what you are having notarized.

There is a notary public on the 9th floor of Central Plaza in Kad suan kaew Road...his name is Pinyo Duangcham. He speaks excellent English and is also and Attorney At Law. He notarised my signature and it took about five minutes and cost 800 baht. It was accepted by the courts in UK.

His phone number is 0818854034

Good luck

Under Australian Law you must be on Australian soil to have a document recognised

by an authorised person relating to a Justice of the piece

A document signed by a JP outside of Australia unless its done at a Consulate is no valid.

Best to contact the Australian Consulate to ensure info is correct

• 2 weeks later...

Under Australian Law you must be on Australian soil to have a document recognised

A document signed by a JP outside of Australia unless its done at a Consulate is no valid.

Hello hiso1956,

Thanks for your well-meant offer of advice.

Just so that readers don't get the wrong impression I have to state, as a fact, that Australian Justices of the Peace can most certainly witness documents, take Statutory Declarations and have Oaths or Affirmations sworn here in Thailand - for Australian matters. There are some jurisdictional differences for the different States of Australia and that of the Justice's appointment, however, which have to be considered.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

Hello hiso1956,

Thanks for your well-meant offer of advice.

Just so that readers don't get the wrong impression I have to state, as a fact, that Australian Justices of the Peace can most certainly witness documents, take Statutory Declarations and have Oaths or Affirmations sworn here in Thailand - for Australian matters. There are some jurisdictional differences for the different States of Australia and that of the Justice's appointment, however, which have to be considered.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

Further to my posting above I would like to suggest the following to anyone requiring the assistance of an Australian J.P.

Contact, online, the JP Office of the particular State in Australia ( usually through the Department of Justice )where the document is to be lodged and ask them to provide you with the name/contact number/address of a JP in Chiang Mai.

They should be in a position to provide you with this information.

• 9 months later...

This is not correct....a document signed by a person who is Austhorised in Australia to do it is valid wherever signed,. If the person is a JP and on holiday here it is valid. If the signature needed is that of a Teacher ande the Australian teacher is on holiday here it is valid.

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Statutorydeclaration_Statutorydeclarationinformationsheet#11

Edited by harrry