Can Any Women Help Me Find Smart Clothing

perkie173

Hi

I am going for an interview next week and need a smart pair of trousers and a shirt. If I get the job I will also need quite a few more smart clothes. I am a UK size 14 on top and 16 on bottom and after speaking to a Thai friend she feels I am going to have a lot of trouble to find anything to fit me. I hate clothes shopping at the best of times and in Thailand it is sure to be more disheartening than in the UK so was wondering if anyone can suggest any shops that might cater for what I need and approximate prices as well if possible. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Pity I am not in Bangkok, I love shopping :D

Give the larger dept stores a try, Siam Paragon, Emporium, Central, etc. They should have clothes your size. And remember to try them on and look in the mirror to see if they actually fit right. ;)

Thank you for your help sbk. I am thinking about going to Platinum tomorrow and if I cannot find anything there will do as you suggest and check out the other department stores over the weekend. I love shopping when I don't need anything but when I know I have to get certain things I find it stressful. Well fingers crossed I find what I need.

Platinum is tough as most places do not allow you to try the clothes on, its a wholesale market. Great prices but, if you don't fit the norm can be difficult. Worht a shot, anyway. Skip the first two floors as its mostly womens stuff anyway.

If you are going for an interview, why not go have a shirt and trousers custom made for about the same price or less? Certainly cheaper than Emporium. They can have it made in 6 hours if you really need. This would be more appropriate than off the shelf clothing, and it will fit your perfectly. Tailor shops are everywhere, they all try to rip you off so bargain hard, and the quality is nearly the same. In fact, the shops are a front for the true tailors, who all produce clothing for multiple shops.

I guess it depends on the dress code at the type of company you are interviewing with. Offices require office apparel. And if it is office clothing, ie button up shirts and trousers, then fashion is not quite as important, as truly good office styles are nearly timeless. Go for classic styles, not too trendy, but don't buy a double breasted suit with pleated pants! Nothing screams old man more.

BTW, I am not a woman, but I do try to dress smartly, and not too smart, if you know what I mean.

Edited by floridaguy

Thank you for the idea, that is definitely an option that I will consider. After living in Samui for a year however (and having my wedding dress made in a tailors there and ruined) tailors are really not anywhere I want to spend money. I am probably wrong though in Bangkok right? They have nothing to do with the ones in Samui? It is definitely an option if I don't find what I need today....

The interview is with a private international school by the way...

Platinum does have men's clothing, in Larger sizes, you just have to look. If you're worried about being unable to try anything on, just go with the measurements of clothes that you have that already fit. Just be sure to measure it flat (i.e) back to back, top shoulder to wrist, etc... and compare based on that. Yeah you might feel a little strange with your little measuring tape but at least you'll be sure of a fit.

There are lots of chain stores that carry larger sizes as well. They just don't specialize in Large & Talls.

Personally. I think you should have it tailored as previously suggested. I've never had a problem with any of the Indian Tailors in BKK as far as the ruin factor.

They're generally incredibly professional.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help, can I just clarify though that I am a woman and looking for womens clothing :) Going to Dorothy Perkins at Central World in an hour, their website says that they do clothes up to a size 22 so I should definitely find something suitable hopefully

Thanks for your help, can I just clarify though that I am a woman and looking for womens clothing :) Going to Dorothy Perkins at Central World in an hour, their website says that they do clothes up to a size 22 so I should definitely find something suitable hopefully

My goodness hon, I do apologize for the mix up.... but if you're a gal - you have multi smart style options for you to find something smart!

If the Franchise brands don't meet your criteria, they're still lots of other places like Platinum, even Pratunam and a couple of stores at JJMall.

I'm a US size 8 and I get 'warned' all the time about how 'clothes won't fit' or how when I get touted by vendors they let me know that they "have my size" ???

I'm sure your friend's heart was in the right place but girls who aren't stick skinny definitely have lots of choices that aren't all Tropicana looking.

Have fun!:)

The

Thank you for the idea, that is definitely an option that I will consider. After living in Samui for a year however (and having my wedding dress made in a tailors there and ruined) tailors are really not anywhere I want to spend money. I am probably wrong though in Bangkok right? They have nothing to do with the ones in Samui? It is definitely an option if I don't find what I need today....

The interview is with a private international school by the way...

The vast number of tailors throughout Thailand and BKK are too often a pain to deal with, and yet there are some that are good. Once you find the right place, you can get clothes that are of excellent quality and fit, and very good price. My USA friends are always amazed at the quality of clothes I get made here in Thailand and they think I'm kidding when I tell them the price. I find it amusing that the middle & upper class Thais will pay 2K to 3K baht for a shirt off the rack in a department store, when they could get tailor made for less than 1K.

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately i have been in bed with food poisoning ever since I last posted so still haven't had chance to go out. My interview is on Tuesday though so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and manage to get some smart clothes in one of the department stores at least for the interview and then consider going to one of the tailors for a few shirts and trousers if I get the job.