Birdwatching

swagman

I have an Australian friend who is a keen birdwatcher, visiting me in late November early December. While here, he would like to have some local birdwatching experiences. I understand the best areas are Doi Inthanon and Chang Dao. A two day trip to each of these areas would be ideal.

Is it possible to hire an experienced local birdwatcher guide to help maximise his opportunities?

Maybe there are local Clubs in Chiang Mai that have field trips from time to time.

I would be grateful for any local assistance to help me organise activities for him.

Thank you

I'm not a fanatic about it, but I am always taking photos of Thai birds where I find them. I'm not sure if there is a bird watching club in Chiang Mai, but it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a trip into forested area where you are more likely to see different species. There are lots of the common white egrets, but not so easy to find other species unless you search out their common terrain. And, seeing them doesn't always make them easy to photograph.

Kingfisher_1.sized.jpg

Ping_hawk_1.sized.jpg

Hoopoe2.sized.png

shore_bird.jpg

There is an expert in Chiang Mai named Tony Ball, who has been birdwatching here for 20 years. He has also published some CDs of bird calls and songs he has recorded. He knows many prime birdwatching sites in this area and is an excellent guide. I can't find his business card but you could google his blog, which is a bit out of date, for his contact info which I believe is still current. He says that the best lowland birdwatching site in this area is the Huay Tung Thao reservoir where he has sighted nearly 200 species.

i know Tony Ball, not sure he's very active these days (he's getting on a bit now). Used to see him most weeks at a few local patches, especially HTT. Haven't seen him in a year or so now... Incidently, Huay Tung Tao isn't that great a place anymore for birding.. it used to be until it got too built up, although the top end near the rice paddies and adjacent scrub is ok early in the mornings..

At Doi Inthanon, without doubt the most knowledgeable man there is Mr. Deang

he's actually a bit of an institution and his cafe is a well known mecca among birders. When i'm at DI i always pop in to say hi, get the latest info on whats about & enjoy some great food (Deang & his wife are excellent cooks too).

He will arrange the best guiding on the mountain for you..

At Chiang Dao, you have another institution & birders' mecca.. Malee's Nature Lovers Bungalows

Malee can arrange top guides to take you up Doi Chiang Dao, but chances are her place will be teeming with birdwatchers from all over the world Nov - Feb, as it also doubles up as the number one meeting up/info sharing centre so you could possibly hitch a ride & join any of them..

I can vouch for Malee, her place is beautiful & her cooking is legendary..

more info on Doi Inthanon here

.. and Chiang Dao here

;)

Thanks for that information, Goshawk. It's always nice to have local data.

Tell him he can order a book called Birds of Thailand printed is us and i have a copy that was bought for me. He is welcome to copy the book if he wants at some local shop.

Edited by SausageKing

Birds of Thailand costs 900 baht and is pretty widely available - bought mine in Robinsons bookshop at Ubon. If your friend is a keen birder I can guarantee he will want to use and keep an original print, not a copy (as faithful colour reproduction is pretty dam_n important to identification!)

Every falang living here with only a passing interest in what goes on in the environment around them should have a copy on the shelf along with a Thai Law book and a Thia History book.

Edited by SantiSuk

• 2 months later...

Nok Kawow?

I want to know the English/ latin name for the bird called in Thai "Nok Kawow" They are black, midsize curved beak and the Kawow.kawow kawow is very loud. They seem common. This is the only forum about some birds.

I have Birds of Southeast east Asia but I cant identify it from the book

Edited by pletwo

I'm not a fanatic about it, but I am always taking photos of Thai birds where I find them. I'm not sure if there is a bird watching club in Chiang Mai, but it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a trip into forested area where you are more likely to see different species. There are lots of the common white egrets, but not so easy to find other species unless you search out their common terrain. And, seeing them doesn't always make them easy to photograph.

Kingfisher_1.sized.jpg

Ping_hawk_1.sized.jpg

Hoopoe2.sized.png

shore_bird.jpg

Ian, that second last photo is exquisite!

Edited by Antathome