Teaching With Tefl In Asia

kevbap

Hello once again

I have recently been living in London! well for 5 months now and i am cold, bored and well and truly peed off!

So now i am coming back to my Asia, i have lived in Hong Kong, Laos and Thailand for some 7 years so i am not a 'rookie'!

I do however need some advice, i am a TEFL (native Englishman) Cambridge certificate holder. i am also not! a holder of a degree! i am a 'disclosure Scotland' personal licence holder, which i have had to obtain by proving i do not have any convictions, according to European police, and i hope worldwide!!!

Now how can i find/get a job teaching English in first Thailand and then the rest of Asia?

I will not go to Khaosan road in Bangkok to get one! i believe in honesty.

I would greatly appreciate all commonsense answers, as this is going to greatly affect my decision.

Many thanks Kevin

Yes, you'll probably be teaching through an agency who won't ask too many questions for 30-35k p/m, with no holiday pay, no sick days, no anything really. Visa runs will probably be the norm.

Edited by thomo

Yes, you'll probably be teaching through an agency who won't ask too many questions for 30-35k p/m, with no holiday pay, no sick days, no anything really. Visa runs will probably be the norm.

I agree with that; not having a degree will stop the teacher from gaining a work permit in Thailand, so the work described above is what would be on offer. There are several possibilities for the teacher in question; you can study on a part-time undergraduate degree whilst working in Thailand, if you can afford it. This may help whilst working in Thailand but is unlikely to be recognised/highly regarded by organisations in other countries, it depends when you study.

In Thailand, there are lots of schools that will hire on similar terms described by 'thomo'; the very same schools would offer more attractive terms and remuneration to more qualified and experienced teachers.

An issue I'd take with the Disclosure Scotland certificate is that it's of little use to anyone, maybe in the UK. It may mollify a school or agency, but as I was helping a friend with this last year, I learnt that Thai immigration may require not the Disclosure but a Subject Access form from the Met, now done by ACPO, I believe. Go the the Met's website.

I agree with that; not having a degree will stop the teacher from gaining a work permit in Thailand,

That's simply not true. I have personally seen two Work Permits issued this year(2010) to teachers without a degree. But it depends as always where and if money changes hands I suppose. Happy Holiday

It is getting increasingly difficult to find legal employment without a degree, but it does happen. Your options may be limited, but it can be done.

The rules are not applied in a uniform manner throughout the kingdom. I know some non-degreed teachers have gotten Work Permits and no money changed hands. Some of the more rural areas seem to be able to secure legal employment more easily than the cities.

It also depends on the type of school and the jurisdiction that it operates under.

thanks guys, i really don't know what to do now! i did this TEFL course because i loved Asia so much and thought it was a chance to stay there longer, but i was not informed about the degree thing!feel i little stupid now!

if anyone out there can help me out, i will be extremely grateful.

Regards Kevin

thanks guys, i really don't know what to do now! i did this TEFL course because i loved Asia so much and thought it was a chance to stay there longer, but i was not informed about the degree thing!feel i little stupid now!

Regards Kevin

Hi Kevin. I know of just the agency for you. I worked for them for a few years. Most of their teachers had degrees but some didn't. They offer a pretty good package if you are placed in the right school.

PM if you are interested.

Regards Kevin

Hi Kevin. I know of just the agency for you. I worked for them for a few years. Most of their teachers had degrees but some didn't. They offer a pretty good package if you are placed in the right school.

PM if you are interested.

sorry ! excuse my ignorance but, pm? and how?

Sorry. I wasn't on line last night, but as the previous poster said, click on his name and it will take you to his profile and there will be a line under his name that says 'send message'. Click on it. When he sends you a message back, it will show up near the top of the forum when you sign in--on the line under your name.

If you have any problems, feel free to post your questions again.

I am not particularly 'tech saavy' either.