Non Immigrant O Based On Marriage V Non Imm Ed

I am currently on my second non imm ED visa (multiple entry), which means every 90 days I have to leave the country to make my stamp.

Before renewing for a third time, I'm wondering if there are any advantages of switching to a non imm O based on my spouse being Thai.

It seems to be more restrictive (have to show xx funds in a bank account) with no extra benefits (still have to leave the country every 90 days).

Is this the case or am I missing something?

My main gripe is having to leave the country every 90 days, is there any way I can simply report to immigration in Bangkok every 90 days?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Yes, you may be missing something. If just obtaining an "O" visa, then no advantage. But you mention funds, so I assume you are talking about an extension based on marriage. With the "Extension of Stay" based on marriage, you would only do an address report every 90 days at immigration, you would not have to exit the country.

Edited by beechguy

If you meet the requirements of the Immigration Dept in Thailand, 400,000 in a Bank under your name, not joint accounts.

Or an Income of 40,000baht per month, again your income only. If you have either of those you can get an extension from the Immigration Dept and never have to leave Thailand again, just report to the local Immigration office every 90 days.

The 400k must be in bank for two months on your first application and you do again each year. It you want to travel outside Thailand you must obtain a re-entry permit first. Every 90 days in Thailand you must make a TM.47 report of your address to Immigration (can be in person/messenger or mail most places).

Surprised that you have Multiple Entry ED Visa. Normally it is Single Entry. As such, with supporting documents from your school, you do not need to leave Thailand every 3 months. Of course you still have to do your 3 months residence reporting.

Thank you all for your responses.

I understand now that it's not a switch to a new visa based on marriage, but an extension of stay, that I've heard people refer to.

Fee wise, does anyone know how much an extension costs and re-entry permits/multiple entry add ons?

My mulitple entry ED cost me 5000Baht (£100) last March, issued in London.

Thanks again.

I understand now that it's not a switch to a new visa based on marriage, but an extension of stay, that I've heard people refer to.

Fee wise, does anyone know how much an extension costs and re-entry permits/multiple entry add ons?

Thanks again.

Annual application for extension 1900 Baht, a single re-entry permit 1000 Baht, multiple re-entry permit 3,800 Baht.

Thanks again.

Annual application for extension 1900 Baht, a single re-entry permit 1000 Baht, multiple re-entry permit 3,800 Baht.

much appreciated!

is obtaining a single re-entry permit pretty hassle free, like something you just pay immigtration, when you return?

Edited by Alfarang

A couple of other benefits to Thai wife extension (for some) is that it is possible to get a work permit on this type of extension (if you are planning on working)

Also, when I was on education visa, I was told by immigration that this time would not count on the time requirement before I could apply for PR (also not sure if this would affect you either)

Thanks again.

much appreciated!

is obtaining a single re-entry permit pretty hassle free, like something you just pay immigtration, when you return?

Easy to obtain at your immigration office and needs to be obtained before departing the country to keep your permission to stay valid, otherwise you would have to start all over again.