Chaweng Stinks !

My other pet hate there now is the number of roadside barbecues in front of the restaurants. While I understand they want to tempt people inside I prefer the taste of a charcoal barbecue not petrol fumes and dust seasoning.

Most of 'em are rubbish anyway. ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the reports of Chaweng here quite sad.

Its been quite a long since I visited Chaweng, 1998 I think, the sea front road was in bits because of a new sewer that was being put underground. I thought, well its for the best.

Looks like it was for the worse, oh dear.

I did quite like the place back then ,dirt roads and a kind of laid back feeling. The road leading up to the Green Mango from the beach was lined by small bars / shacks.

I guess its lost its charm now which is a pity.

Off topic, slightly, I have visited Lamai now and then since 1995.

Amazing amount of construction last time I was there in 2006.

Is that green scum still on the sea next to the beach, it disappeared after a few metres out to sea?

I must say that the stench is usually at it's worst early morning (around 8am or so) but then it seems to gradually clear.

The worst part is if you walk along past the opening for Tops market heading south, for about 50yards it is absolutely MINGING!! You see everyone walking by holding their noses (not that it does any good at all, lol) and almost gagging as the stench is so bad!! But it seems to be like this for a long time, nothing changes whatsoever! We had to leave that "will wait" place one time as we could not bear the smell and eat at the same time yet they could not understand what the fuss was about, the girls explained to the staff as they were equally disgusted by the smell but they just seemingly said "what can we do?"

In saying that, i've travelled to many many places and i have experienced this on many occasions in many countries so it's not completely restricted to being a Chaweng/Samui problem, it does happen elsewhere, not that it makes it correct i may add but hey, such is life i guess.

As a mate said to me "if you don't like staying here then leave"...which is fair enough as if it's such a horrible place to be then why on earth would you stay?

Just my humble take on things and from other friends who have visited.

Cheers.

I must say that the stench is usually at it's worst early morning (around 8am or so) but then it seems to gradually clear.

The worst part is if you walk along past the opening for Tops market heading south, for about 50yards it is absolutely MINGING!! You see everyone walking by holding their noses (not that it does any good at all, lol) and almost gagging as the stench is so bad!! But it seems to be like this for a long time, nothing changes whatsoever! We had to leave that "will wait" place one time as we could not bear the smell and eat at the same time yet they could not understand what the fuss was about, the girls explained to the staff as they were equally disgusted by the smell but they just seemingly said "what can we do?"

In saying that, i've travelled to many many places and i have experienced this on many occasions in many countries so it's not completely restricted to being a Chaweng/Samui problem, it does happen elsewhere, not that it makes it correct i may add but hey, such is life i guess.

As a mate said to me "if you don't like staying here then leave"...which is fair enough as if it's such a horrible place to be then why on earth would you stay?

Cheers.

Yeah totally agree...............

If there was a prize for most original viewpoint you're friend won it hook line and sinker..........

oh and guess what, it's a one way ticket out of Thailand (check the small print though) cos the prize can't be claimed by wearers of rose tinted spectacles...........................He's not sporting a pair by any chance? :lol:

and I see you Joined: 2009-02-12

What a surprise :whistling:

BTW, many of us are here longterm, we have business/investments and/or families, we also care for our environment, we prefer to raise and debate local issues that may effect the health and safety of those that live or visit the island in the hope that it will be improved.

We prefer this to moving on.

Anyway enough nitpicking, here's something constructive.........

Surely it would save the island a lot of hassle and maybe even $ if each year before the rainy season they flushed and cleaned and cleared all the sewers and drains and have extra employees to keep them clear and running in these months. Surely that would be cheaper than the repairs to infrastructure and lost tourist revenue as a result of damage caused by flooding.

Perhaps someone could come up with a blueprint that makes it more profitable for the bigwigs in local government to do this than awarding the contracts for repairs to their "friends".

Cheers.

If there was a prize for most original viewpoint you're friend won it hook line and sinker..........

oh and guess what, it's a one way ticket out of Thailand (check the small print though) cos the prize can't be claimed by wearers of rose tinted spectacles...........................He's not sporting a pair by any chance? :lol:

BTW, many of us are here longterm, we have business/investments and/or families, we also care for our environment, we prefer to raise and debate local issues that may effect the health and safety of those that live or visit the island in the hope that it will be improved.

Surely it would save the island a lot of hassle and maybe even $ if each year before the rainy season they flushed and cleaned and cleared all the sewers and drains and have extra employees to keep them clear and running in these months. Surely that would be cheaper than the repairs to infrastructure and lost tourist revenue as a result of damage caused by flooding.

Perhaps someone could come up with a blueprint that makes it more profitable for the bigwigs in local government to do this than awarding the contracts for repairs to their "friends".

Not bad at all that post womble. It does seem that Samui is getting a great deal more finance but as you infer it depends how it is distributed.

Oh and yes.....If only the "if you don't like it why don't you leave" crowd would only follow their own advice and do one. ;)

Cheers.

Oh right, and the point of my joining date is what exactly?? I should know that sometimes posting without a mega high number of posts opens up to "nitpicking" as correctly called yourself...:D

Anyway, i'm sure this topic will still be getting discussed in 5, 10, even 15yrs from now. As you say awarding the contracts to their "friends" is a thing that just seems to be accepted amongst them and i do not really see that changing in the near future unfortunately. After all, how long have people already been moaning/talking about this subject and still nothing's changed?

Admittedly they've had some progress on the ring road by tarring it and the new pipes have also been getting laid so i suppose at last there is something positive happening.

As for the stench in parts of Chaweng, well, i'm not sure what the real solution is as to that one. It does seem to be mainly a central Chaweng problem though as far as i can gather? Where i had my house up in Wat Plai Laem i had no problem with smells/drains or anything and the only time i had to endure the stench was in Chaweng.

Cheers.

nothing wrong with evergreen's posting. If I don't like it here, I can go or stay. Didn't like it at my home country that much to stay, hence I came here. I like it here, and I can go back or somewhere else as well > need some preparations like it needed pre coming here, but I like it here so I stay. So I am lucky compared to other people who cannot stay here or go.

"chaweng Stinks "

In the quite words of Shaggy " it wasn't me "

anyway. if u r looking for a clupret. who ever spelt it, delt it.

sorry just being silly.

Chaweng stinks but everyone goes there. so from a business point of view. why change something that finatially is perfect. i mean it is in the biggest tourist hot spot of the island.

Not being funny but for example if i had a business that was booming with customers but on the down side they complained all the time. If they keep coming into the business and spending all there money. Then complain and moan all u like just keep cooming and spending.

not saying it is right or wrong. just saying the way it is.

I have noticed that samui is always trying to promote new parts that are more queit than other parts but if parts are quiet then people spend money to drsaw people to them. Another axample if no one went to chaweng and manam was the toursit hot spot then they would probably do something about the drains to sorte out the smell to draw people ove there.

i think that because chaweng is the center of toursime on the island. then the local hotels must be flying. they should get together and sorte it out. be better for business and better for the hotel owners.

i mean this is one business island

There's a few things that i just don't get here, how can resorts such as Centara and The Amari charge 6000bt a night whilist being so close to the sewer?

It was only a few years ago that the beach road was 2 way, with all the extra and uneccesary traffic (2mph 'songtail' taxis and not forgetting the 'tomorrow night' boxing PA vans) it's becoming another Benidorm or even worse, Kavos!!!

I personally refer to it as 'Chameng', meng being Thai for 'stinks', it's got a ring to it.....

Knock it down and start again. it's the only answer though im not sure what Thai is for logic, does anyone?

I doubt it.

which stanley road are u named after. i know a stanely road near me in the UK

[

I cannot understand the comments like "and I see you Joined: 2009-02-12 What a surprise :whistling: "

What does this have to do with anything? I have lived on Samui for 10 years but I did not join ThaiVisa until after this date! So what? Is it a club where the longer you are a member , the more important you are? I hope not. Anyway - back to topic....

If there is something wrong, there are a number of options.

1 bitch about it in a forum like this (good fun but does not usually fix it).

2 bitch about it to someone in a position of responsibility (but usually does not get fixed)

3 Fix it yourself (alone or with others).

4 Leave

Regarding 2 above, IMHO the new mayor is doing a very good job. He has a lot to fix, but things are definitely getting better on the island. After the recent rains, the new drainage worked well in all areas that I saw. Certainly better than 5 years ago. I am sure that smells are on his agenda. Just not that high yet.

Regarding no 3 above, there are a lot of people taking things into their own hands. I live at the Northern end of the island, and a number of resorts have regular working parties to clear verges, road-sides and beaches. I live in a small community. The guy providing the services is supposed to landscape it and keep it tidy. After a few years of complaining and waiting, I decided to do it myself. The road that I live on is always tidy and clean. Problem solved.

No 4 - not an option for me. I have a business here, I have invested in property and my family is here.I have decided to spend the rest of my days on Samui.

If the smells in Chewang affect your business, you can always do what the local Thai stall-holders do, and cover the grill with a sack or cardboard box. It works for a while.If there are a few of the 'larger' resorts etc that find the smell a problem - get together and fix it yourselves! It only takes money, time and effort.

[

I cannot understand the comments like "and I see you Joined: 2009-02-12 What a surprise :whistling: "

What does this have to do with anything? I have lived on Samui for 10 years but I did not join ThaiVisa until after this date! So what? Is it a club where the longer you are a member , the more important you are? I hope not. Anyway - back to topic....

2 bitch about it to someone in a position of responsibility (but usually does not get fixed)

4 Leave

Regarding 2 above, IMHO the new mayor is doing a very good job. He has a lot to fix, but things are definitely getting better on the island. After the recent rains, the new drainage worked well in all areas that I saw. Certainly better than 5 years ago. I am sure that smells are on his agenda. Just not that high yet.

Regarding no 3 above, there are a lot of people taking things into their own hands. I live at the Northern end of the island, and a number of resorts have regular working parties to clear verges, road-sides and beaches. I live in a small community. The guy providing the services is supposed to landscape it and keep it tidy. After a few years of complaining and waiting, I decided to do it myself. The road that I live on is always tidy and clean. Problem solved.

No 4 - not an option for me. I have a business here, I have invested in property and my family is here.I have decided to spend the rest of my days on Samui.

If the smells in Chewang affect your business, you can always do what the local Thai stall-holders do, and cover the grill with a sack or cardboard box. It works for a while.If there are a few of the 'larger' resorts etc that find the smell a problem - get together and fix it yourselves! It only takes money, time and effort.

agree about the fact that your r not more important just because u have been here for longer than someone else. i have herd so many arguemnts btwn people. Then they try to finish the argument off by saying " how log have u been here"

answer" x month / years" then someone says "well i have been here longer than u so i am right."

I just get bored and walk away when it becomes a how long have u been here compitition. have been here for a while but i only tell people how long i have been here when they ask. it is nothing to show off about.

speciallu when it comes to foreigner residents on the island.

The thing that stinks the most in chaweng is drunken tourists and rubbish in the streets out side 7/11 near green mango. i just can't be bothered to go to chaweng any more. Mainly because i find it hard to park though

and dont ask for rain ,the crap floats up from the grates in the road only to be splashed around an dried by the sun when the water is gone in short it would putting perfume on a pig....get your girl an get the hel_l outta there

Mate, its stank of sewage for years.

[

4 Leave

agree about the fact that your r not more important just because u have been here for longer than someone else. i have herd so many arguemnts btwn people. Then they try to finish the argument off by saying " how log have u been here"

answer" x month / years" then someone says "well i have been here longer than u so i am right."

I just get bored and walk away when it becomes a how long have u been here compitition. have been here for a while but i only tell people how long i have been here when they ask. it is nothing to show off about.

speciallu when it comes to foreigner residents on the island.

The thing that stinks the most in chaweng is drunken tourists and rubbish in the streets out side 7/11 near green mango. i just can't be bothered to go to chaweng any more. Mainly because i find it hard to park though

Thanks BigC, that's why i have a low post count on here, it's because no matter what you say, or how valid my point may be...you always get the "i've been here longer than you" brigade jumping on the bandwagon trying to put you down and give out childish abuse it's like a big clique sometimes...but i don't lose any sleep over it, that's for sure, lol.

Anyway, i agree, with your comment about the drunken tourists. God, when i walk along chaweng beach road in the morning it's like a case of trying to avoid the "pavement pizzas" that the drunken tourists have puked up everywhere...it certainly doesn't help things for sure, but the drains smell so bad early morning, i'm not sure what's worse, the drains or the smell of what the drunks have left behind from the night before, :D

nothing wrong with evergreen's posting. If I don't like it here, I can go or stay. Didn't like it at my home country that much to stay, hence I came here. I like it here, and I can go back or somewhere else as well > need some preparations like it needed pre coming here, but I like it here so I stay. So I am lucky compared to other people who cannot stay here or go.

Thank you, at last someone who can post without resorting to general childish comments about post numbers and how long ago you joined blah blah blah...it's just pathetic.

What you say is exactly what i was trying to say. If you hate somewhere so much as many seem to do in Chaweng why the h_ell would you stay? I love it in Samui, yes there's some bad points like ex-pats conning/ripping each other off as they're so desperate to stay here along with this topic of the stench but generally it's great. If i disliked it so much i WOULD leave, without a doubt, why on earth would i choose to stay somewhere that i hated? we all have a choice in life and it's a free world to go wherever so i salute you as you have the same thinking of me.

Oh and yes, Chaweng does stink sometimes...but i've been to many places over the world that stinks...i just get on with it as not everywhere's the same, that's life!! :D

Thank you, at last someone who can post without resorting to general childish comments about post numbers and how long ago you joined blah blah blah...it's just pathetic.

What you say is exactly what i was trying to say. If you hate somewhere so much as many seem to do in Chaweng why the h_ell would you stay? I love it in Samui, yes there's some bad points like ex-pats conning/ripping each other off as they're so desperate to stay here along with this topic of the stench but generally it's great. If i disliked it so much i WOULD leave, without a doubt, why on earth would i choose to stay somewhere that i hated? we all have a choice in life and it's a free world to go wherever so i salute you as you have the same thinking of me.

Oh and yes, Chaweng does stink sometimes...but i've been to many places over the world that stinks...i just get on with it as not everywhere's the same, that's life!! :D

Last para:

Why is that life? It doesn't have to be. Something could be done and perhaps the Thai Island Administration might listen to the many complaints about life in an open sewer if there are enough complaints directed to the right quarter.

I don't think that we should just roll over whimpering that "we must just get on with it". We all know that something COULD be done about it, it just needs pressure in the right places.

those expats ripping people off. are they backed up by anybody. i wanted to lay a few of them off a while ago but my bird told me that i should do some checking before i just randomly lay off people just for the fun of it.

i have had my share of trouble with fighting in samui. u pick the wrong person. litturally what goes around comes around. Jail if r u lucky. If not u might have change yr name to rambo and treat every day like it is yr last and fight for savival.

though if they are no bodies and have no back up them i am well up for a royal rumble in the jungle.

those expats ripping people off. are they backed up by anybody. i wanted to lay a few of them off a while ago but my bird told me that i should do some checking before i just randomly lay off people just for the fun of it.

i have had my share of trouble with fighting in samui. u pick the wrong person. litturally what goes around comes around. Jail if r u lucky. If not u might have change yr name to rambo and treat every day like it is yr last and fight for savival.

though if they are no bodies and have no back up them i am well up for a royal rumble in the jungle.

:crazy::w00t: :w00t:

to be honest i don't really care about chaweng stinking casue i rarely go there. it is too expensive. chaweng is made for tourists. the business want to charge as much as possible for the short term peoplle who probably get around mostly on foot and don't go outside chaweng much. so like people said it is the local businesses in that area that gets effected the most. so it is there problem. not many residentual places in the beach road.

Last para:

Why is that life? It doesn't have to be. Something could be done and perhaps the Thai Island Administration might listen to the many complaints about life in an open sewer if there are enough complaints directed to the right quarter.

I don't think that we should just roll over whimpering that "we must just get on with it". We all know that something COULD be done about it, it just needs pressure in the right places.

Why is that life?...as it IS life, it's the way it is and has been for a long, long time so that's why it's life as it's true!! I'm sure it's been spoken about and discussed many times already about trying to put pressure on the relevant authorities but do you honestly hand on heart believe they will listen and solve the problem? I for one do not believe in this in any shape or form, they just do not care enough i'm afraid...sad but true...

Last para:

Why is that life?...as it IS life, it's the way it is and has been for a long, long time so that's why it's life as it's true!! I'm sure it's been spoken about and discussed many times already about trying to put pressure on the relevant authorities but do you honestly hand on heart believe they will listen and solve the problem? I for one do not believe in this in any shape or form, they just do not care enough i'm afraid...sad but true...

What you say is true. They simply don't care. For all their many attributes, the Thais are are a nation of litter bugs. I have said this before on the forum and nothing has improved to change my opinion. If you pull someone up on it, as i have done with a couple of people i have known a fews years and the response you get is a shrug of the shoulders and a reply "Thai way."

Neither do they care one iota about the stench of Chaweng, and nothing will be done.

I hope people won't be childish enough to suggest that my comments are anti Thai because they are not. Its just the way it is.

I thought that we were a "green" island now. :D

A question arises: if Thais weren't like they are, were you here? No? Probably

Sorry but you are not making sense.

I'll have a guess and think you are saying if the Thais were'nt they way they are (my reply would be ..in what way?) would you stay here? :huh: If they were'nt litter bugs we would'nt stay?!!!!

Either way you seem to be talking nonsense.

the new mayor might be a good bloke and doing great things but he's not fixing the smelly drains in chaweng,and thats what this thread is about.

Its not practical to suggest local business get together to fix it,its something the local authority has the power to organise and should find the money to do it instead of throwing the cash around as tea money.

Comments like "if you dont like it here you can always leave"...........are no more than throwaway lines and do not add to this discussion.

I think most of us agree its something the local govt. should fix and maybe this forum should be compulsory viewing for them.

the new mayor might be a good bloke and doing great things but he's not fixing the smelly drains in chaweng,and thats what this thread is about.

Its not practical to suggest local business get together to fix it,its something the local authority has the power to organise and should find the money to do it instead of throwing the cash around as tea money.

Comments like "if you dont like it here you can always leave"...........are no more than throwaway lines and do not add to this discussion.

I think most of us agree its something the local govt. should fix and maybe this forum should be compulsory viewing for them.

I think if ou consider the Mayor has a fixed budget and many calls on how he spends his money he has to consider the local people first and foremost. Tackling issues which affect ALL the residents will be his first priority. Hence improving the road system.

I've no idea where the next improvements will come but certainly it can't do any harm to voice our concerns here. Surely someone from his office reads the odd rant on here?.....:rolleyes:

Hmmm....things that do not add to the discussion??.....we'll agree to very much disagree then ok...,:whistling:

Back on point, no silly "nitpicking" here ok...:D

You've just said the same as has already been said though, not only on this thread but in years gone by through various forums or in person by talking to people.! Yes, i'm sure everyone agrees with your sentiments about the "tea money" etc... but my point is that HOW will it change?...i really do not see any westerner group/pressure etc making one little bit of difference as they just really do not seem to care to much about westerners here so do you really believe they will listen now for some reason? I'm not having a go, i'm just quite interested as to just how you will get the "authorities" to listen and get things done on us "farangs" word? it's their way it's their world remember.

I really have no answer to the problem of the stench in Chaweng as i'm not a drainage engineer/plumber so until i'm an expert, i'll leave the decisions for exactly that...the experts.

Yes, i'd love for something to be done about the stench but as i'm not an expert i'll need to leave that bit out ok. Unfortunately, as i've said previously , the authorities will take so long to take action on it the tourists will be long gone and that's the saddest fact as it will not only affect the local Thais but also the ex-pats who have business here as well!