Beware! Gold Necklace Snatchers

Dario

I post this thread as a warning to all foreigners living here in Pattaya (and anywhere else). We all know about the young drugged males here who snatch hand bags and gold necklaces from women on driveby's. Mostly kids desperate to get cash to buy more drugs. We might think these things only happen to others.

After 24 years together with my wife it just happened to her for the first time, right in front of her house (!) My wife went out to the market with her neighbor across our home. As they drove back down in our soi a motorcycle with two young guys followed them behind, but the ladies were not aware. As they stopped in front of our home, the guys took them over, turned around and - in a flash - snatched my wife's necklace.

Needless to say the girls did not see their license plate, because they did not have one. I have taken off my necklace and will not wear it anymore.

Please take this as a warning!

Edited by Dario

Moral of the story , don't wear gold necklaces out !!! , I still fail to see why people wear them ? In the uk only chavs where them , and in thailand , only women wear them as a trophey to how many men they have ,

It may seem a bit harsh , but from experince from the west and thailand , only the poor wear gold , trying to prove something they are not .. A big example are mamasons , more gold then the crown jewls

Moral of the story , don't wear gold necklaces out !!! , I still fail to see why people wear them ? In the uk only chavs where them , and in thailand , only women wear them as a trophey to how many men they have ,

It may seem a bit harsh , but from experince from the west and thailand , only the poor wear gold , trying to prove something they are not .. A big example are mamasons , more gold then the crown jewls

Oh yes, with gold pushing 20,000 baht I can see why only the poor would wear it. Ever heard the saying "All that glitters is not gold?"

This happened to me a couple of years ago crossing Theprassit Rd and by two women zooming up on a motorbike AND I thought I was aware of my surroundings.

Not only male youths that need to feed an addiction.

If your in tune with the systerm you will be no doubt be aware as the Fiat/papermoney burns, the gold value will rise, and rise it will, we will see 1500 an OZ by the end of the year 2000 by the summer of 2011, and as soon as the genral public start buying ie 2 3 4 percent of people it will take off. Keep your Gold under lock and key.

Why anyone, falang or Thai, would wear gold in this place is beyond me.

Wearing a gold necklace is an old custom in Thailand and has been for centuries. In older times people did not have a bank account with ATM card, so the little fortune they had was converted into gold.

Still today, when young folks upcountry start to work and have a little bit of money over, they would first buy a gold necklace to show that they are now also money earners. Whenever they would need money they would go to the pawnshop and reconvert the gold into the needed cash.

So, wearing a gold necklace is not just a fag to say "look I'm rich" but it was always part of Thai culture. But helas, times change and we learn that we should not continue this old custom ...

I think it is down to common sense , make ureself a target and you will become a target . Why do people need to prove wealth by cheap gold ? ( Well not so cheap now ) ... Look at the richest people in the world , do they flaunt gold , no.. Even extremly wealthy thais consider showing of gold ' tacky ' .

wear your gold as I do but do something simple to avoid it being easily snatched, the main links of most gold chains are pretty hard to break as they are solid, the weakest link (scuse the Pun) is the clasp and the thin circle link that both join to the main heavy chain, what I do is add my own secure tie which can be made of whatever you like, I use one of those threaded coloured wrist strings tied as a secure extra link on the main chain across the clasp, it cannot be ripped off, Some will say that is foolish but most of the snatchers are young oportunists if they fail to easily remove you neckless or bracelet they will not hang around for a second try, it may also give you a chance to grab the little feckers and give them a good seeing too while others nearby come to assist, very rarely will there not be someone close to come and help and summon the police. If you look at statistics most snatches happen in public areas

Edited by smedly