Hundreds Of Flood Victims In Thailand Battling Suicidal Tendencies

webfact

FLOODS

Hundreds of victims battling suicidal tendencies

By Chayanon Praneet

Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_13441.jpg

Since floods ravaged her threerai paddy field in Nakhon Ratchasima, Yon Jarnchimplee had plunged into suicidal mode every now and then.

"I was overwhelmed," the 47-year-old farmer said. "I just thought I couldn't bear it any longer."

Water was the only thing she put into her mouth during her days-long ordeal alone. Had a medical team from Loei Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital not shown up in her hometown, she could have been one of the flood victims who took their own life.

This month, many provinces have seen the worst floods in decades bring much distress to people in hard-hit zones.

In some areas, metres-deep floodwater has marooned locals and ruined their crops.

On October 26, a 72-year-old man killed himself out of stress as floods submerged his home in Angthong. Two days later, a 57-year-old man in Sakon Nakhon ended his life because the torrents wiped out his paddy fields, houses and hope.

Yon said the psychiatric-care team helped her a lot by listening to her rants and giving her sedatives and sleeping pills.

"I really don't know whether I'll turn suicidal again when I have to go back and live all alone again," the widow said with tears pouring down her cheeks.

Her husband passed away two years ago and their only daughter, who left to get married, has never looked back at the mother.

Dr Nattakorn Jampathong, director of Loei Rajanagarindra Psychiatric Hospital, said he dispatched six psychiatric teams to Nakhon Ratchasima after learning about the enormity of the flood disaster in the northeastern province.

A psychiatric hospital in Korat could not deliver services for many days, because it was swamped under a metre of water.

"We found 187 flood victims with depressive tendencies in Nakhon Ratchasima between October 21 and October 27," Nattakorn said. "About 43 are suicidal."

According to the Public Health Ministry's survey of various provinces, 203 flood victims have suffered from serious stress and desperation. Of them, 58 are prone to committing suicide.

Apichai Mongkon, director-general of the Mental Health Department, urged flood victims to talk to people close to them to relieve their stress.

"Pray, too, and you will feel better," he said. "It also helps if you join hands with other locals in restoring your community."

However, they should seek help from doctors if their stress does not ease within two weeks.

"You can call 1323 round-the-clock if you suffer from stress and insomnia," he added.

Loy Khomsanoi, 49, said the picture of his flooded paddy fields and fruit orchards still haunted him.

"I don't know whether I'll completely recover," the father of two said. He has now been taking tranquilisers and sleeping pills to cope with the pressure.

Like Yon, Loy had seriously thought about taking her life when a psychiatric team came along.

Since October 10, the floods have already killed 68 people. On Wednesday alone, nine deaths were reported.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said floods could also lead to many diseases, particularly athlete's foot.

"This disease has already struck 88,299 people in flood-hit areas," he said. "Other common illnesses among the flood victims are cold and aches."

The inundation is far from over. Many more provinces such as Yasothon, Buri Ram, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin and several southern provinces are now running grave flood risks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-29

"Pray, too, and you will feel better," he said. "It also helps if you join hands with other locals in restoring your community."

Good advice indeed. These poor people have more chance of their prayers coming true than they have of their government helping them. Of course when the government does help, it will be in the all media. Otherwise there'd be no point in helping.

I think I would be suicidal also if I had to deal with corrupt,cheating governments, poor prices for my hard labour then to be wiped out with no insurance and still be expected to supply the lazy fat cats in Bangkok with rice...Shame on all you supposide Hi_So's that just sit around on you ever fattening asses and sip coffee at Starbucks pondering which handbag should you buy to match your new shoes..:(

I think I would be suicidal also if I had to deal with corrupt,cheating governments, poor prices for my hard labour then to be wiped out with no insurance and still be expected to supply the lazy fat cats in Bangkok with rice...Shame on all you supposide Hi_So's that just sit around on you ever fattening asses and sip coffee at Starbucks pondering which handbag should you buy to match your new shoes..:(

....yeah and the "fiddler on the roof", all are responsible, the Emporium Folks, the Starbucks and McDonalds fans, the "fat cat's" should be hung high to dry, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE, that's for sure!

Katherine devastating New Orleans, the recent Indo-Tsunami, the outbreak of the Mount Merapi Volcano, Haiti, the cholera outbreak there now, it's all because there are some "fat cat's" in Bangkok, let'em rot in their BMW "innocence", but "they" simply aren't responsible, no one is....!

Anything more irrational and infantile then this?

It's sad, natural desasters do strike, again and again, let's get together an HELP - what have YOU done?

Stop the finger pointing and blame each other, instead let's work together and HELP!

Edited by Samuian

Let's go shopping at Gaysorn today. I really miss it when it was shut in by those poor and dirty rural red. ;)

please don't use my quote when you go off on your normal red shirt propaganda exercise, any person with any semblance on brain matter knows what happens in the "big end" of town and also what happens "up country", YOU always try to politicize everything in your posts, yes we all get it YOU DON'T LIKE RED SHIRTS but red, yellow or black has nothing to do with what is happening to these poorest or poor people. hang your head in shame Miss

....yeah and the "fiddler on the roof", all are responsible, the Emporium Folks, the Starbucks and McDonalds fans, the "fat cat's" should be hung high to dry, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE, that's for sure!

Katherine devastating New Orleans, the recent Indo-Tsunami, the outbreak of the Mount Merapi Volcano, Haiti, the cholera outbreak there now, it's all because there are some "fat cat's" in Bangkok, let'em rot in their BMW "innocence", but "they" simply aren't responsible, no one is....!

say what you like, I didnt say Bangkok was responsible for the floods, i say they are responsible for some people up country to feel the way do, not just because there is water everywhere, its been years of neglect by successive govs and bangkokians I am on about and we all know its fuc_king true..

Just got back from sand bagging in Korat and you?/ Guess you couldnt help out had to get the benz detailed by your Cambodian boy right ?

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

<censored> say what you like, I didnt say Bangkok was responsible for the floods, i say they are responsible for some people up country to feel the way do, not just because there is water everywhere, its been years of neglect by successive govs and bangkokians I am on about and we all know its fuc_king true..

Just got back from sand bagging in Korat and you?/ Guess you couldnt help out had to get the benz detailed by your Cambodian boy right ?

... and what about all the rich blood sucking business men and rich families up country?

Edited by whybother

say what you like, I didnt say Bangkok was responsible for the floods, i say they are responsible for some people up country to feel the way do, not just because there is water everywhere, its been years of neglect by successive govs and bangkokians I am on about and we all know its fuc_king true..

Edited by supaprik

It's so heartbreaking for all the farmers as it's just 2 weeks away from harvesting, all that investment-seeds, ploughing,fertilizer,insecticide,labour for transplanting and cutting -for nothing, with only 600 baht per rai compensation to come.

Compounding this, the poor woman featured is all alone, most villagers have family and neighbours for support.

My daughter asked me why we had no flood- Bandung, Udon Thani, and it's because we're not near any major river like the Moon or Chi. Pure luck on the part of the wife's ancestors when they chose to settle down I guess!

<censored> say what you like, I didnt say Bangkok was responsible for the floods, i say they are responsible for some people up country to feel the way do, not just because there is water everywhere, its been years of neglect by successive govs and bangkokians I am on about and we all know its fuc_king true..

... and what about all the rich blood sucking business men and rich families up country?

look I agree with you there are blood suckers everywhere, that wasnt my point, i just think more could of should of been done PRIOR to the floods which have now brought more pain to people that are finding it ever increasingly difficult just to survive...My pain is for those people

Let's go shopping at Gaysorn today. I really miss it when it was shut in by those poor and dirty rural red. ;)

please don't use my quote when you go off on your normal red shirt propaganda exercise, any person with any semblance on brain matter knows what happens in the "big end" of town and also what happens "up country", YOU always try to politicize everything in your posts, yes we all get it YOU DON'T LIKE RED SHIRTS but red, yellow or black has nothing to do with what is happening to these poorest or poor people. hang your head in shame Miss

To me it looked as if Chantorn simplified Supapriks post - and really, Supaprik you opened the 'Political door' and then provided a response fitting of your user name...

While more can always be done, plenty is already being done in Bangkok with donation center's being set up in convenient locations throughout Bangkok (i.e. Emporium, Channel 3 Building, Carefore, my Apt Building and I'm sure a lot more locations).

Nature is the Cause of this extreme '1 in 50 year' flood, but blame the 'fat cats' if you feel guilty for not doing enough yourself.

As far as the Opening Post and main story of this thread is concerned; the most saddening part of this story is that the daughter of the lady (suicidal) disappeared soon after marriage. The undercurrent of this story perhaps has more to do with diminishing community and family values as much as the non-existent government support systems and insurance.

IF insurance were to be put in place the same criticisms would be applied against the 'starbuks, handbag shopping fat cats' who set it up.

To please somepriks perhaps the Thai government should offer these flooded out of work rice farmers key roles in insurance and financial support / social security networks....

look I agree with you there are blood suckers everywhere, that wasnt my point, i just think more could of should of been done PRIOR to the floods which have now brought more pain to people that are finding it ever increasingly difficult just to survive...My pain is for those people

"neglect by successive govs and bangkokians"

Why bring "bangkokians" into it if that's not your point?

Sure, there have been years of neglect - by governments, by business people, by land owners, and by many of the people that are affected by the floods.

Mark better take more protection.

The Red-shirts might take advantage of the readily supplies of these suicidal people.

What is it you have with putting the Red Shirts or Taksin in every post? Your government isn't doing much so why should they object to help from anyone willing to give it? In times like this it's not about politics it's about people coming together across the political divide for the good of all those affected. The reds already have most of the votes in the NE anyway!

Good advice indeed. These poor people have more chance of their prayers coming true than they have of their government helping them. Of course when the government does help, it will be in the all media. Otherwise there'd be no point in helping.

Peaceful protest might get results. Praying in silence doesn't work and I'm talking about people standing together in protest not effin politics!

The problem will be the after effects when the waters recide. I remember many years in row, not much attention was given to this fact, hundreds of people were dying because contaminated water. The urine of rats in the water caused scores of fatalities each year and nobody raised an eyebrow.

Edited by elcent

It's sad, natural desasters do strike, again and again, let's get together an HELP - what have YOU done?

Stop the finger pointing and blame each other, instead let's work together and HELP!

thank you my friend I applaude you this is not one solitary person fault if only everybody thought like you if everyone just gave ten baht to help that would be a great help but we must make sure it goes where its needed, but better still by some food and clothes because the will surely die from the cold if something isnt done in this respect comeon who is going to start one blanket 150 baht some rice these people will live on good old rice full of protein if someone starts this I will personally buy 5000 baht worth of supplies

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said floods could also lead to many diseases, particularly athlete's foot.

"This disease has already struck 88,299 people in flood-hit areas," he said. "Other common illnesses among the flood victims are cold and aches."

I'm pleased they had time to count, and surprised people have had the time to check in with the medical people.

I think there are worse illnesses to worry about; can one die from athlete's foot?

It's nobodies fault the flood happened, it was just a bad storm that went through. And as for helping, there's more than likely not much ex-pates can do. I remember back when the tsunami hit, a bunch of ex-pates went down to try and help with the clean up and the search for people, they were told by the government to leave or be arrested for working without a work permit. All ex-pates can really do is donate money. But then who do you donate to and know the money will go to help the people and not just into some fat cats pockets.

while TV mobilizes it's forces to gain new advertising revenue, going into Twitter, Facebook, et al Can no one start a fund or program to help these ppl? Above poster alone is good for 5000 baht. Large readership here might pitch in if someone organized it avoiding the corrupt local gov involvement. There are many here with wives and family in the affected areas no? I"m coming to Bangkok in December and would probably just as soon spend my money in flood affected areas, staying with locals and buying food, then moving on to another. IF that might help any little bit. I've been thru floods, it's a long mess, even after the waters recede.

I think one of the real tragedies here is that these people had very little to begin with and now they have nothing.

My prayers and condolences to these people who have lost loved ones and property.

Its time to quit bitching about Starbucks and McDonald's....................SUPER PRIK!!!

Ahhhh wonderful Khun Rikidlad, too bad those distressed people do not have you to help them rather than the uncaring publicity seeking government. :lol:

Like Yon, Loy had seriously thought about taking her life when a psychiatric team came along.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-29

wow. Those darn psychiatric teams are making them folks suicidal (according to how this was written).

Time and again I'm reminded why I never consider subscribing to the Nation. Especially that time they started charging for their online reports. What a laugh.

actually, word has it that Thaksin got his friends in China to open all theIr dams - the same dams that were causing the previous draughts in Chiang Mai, hence flooding Thailand so that HE can come in and "donate" to the flood victims, further enhancing his egotistic facade as a saviour-for-the-poor.

Hey, not a bad conspiracy theory.

Flood victims up to 101; Health authorities keeping 168 on suicide watch

BANGKOK, Oct 30 -- The number of people who have perished in the floods now ravaging Thailand has risen to 101, with health authorities keeping close watch on 168 others considered as suicide risks due to depression, Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said on Saturday.

Mr Jurin told a press conference that so far 90 of the total were found drowned while officials were investigating whether the remaing 11 died in flood-related incidents.

He said officials were monitoring closely on 168 others on fears that they might commit suicide due to severe stress.

A budget totaling Bt125 million was initially set aside for rehabilitation for both flood victims and 176 hospitals which have been damaged by the floods that have hit Thailand except for the southern region.

Eleven activities would be implemented in 24 provinces covering 1,631 villages, said Mr Jurin.

They are covered in three measures including health and mental rehabilitation, control of diseases, and an improvement of hygiene and environment after the flood recedes, he added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-30

The abject stupidity of some of the posts on a serious subject like the flooding sickens me.

Some have to get in a dig at the Govt and of course the BKK elite.

How would you feel if you had just seen your years income wiped out in a couple of days.

And have no money of any way in sight of getting any.

Managed to help in a small way with some families we know.

But really not much we can do.

And yes the local authorities are doing a great job round here, supported by the Govt.

Well said.

Here we have a serious problem and people with no life choose to throw rocks at others sitting behind there anonymous key board. Only on TV can you find so many people willing to capatalize on other peoples misfortune to spread there garbage.

For sure praying and holding hands will help to engender a feeling of community. As for praying it has been shown scientifically to have positive effects.