Temperatures In North, Northeast Thailand To Drop Further

george

Temperatures in North, Northeast to drop further

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department Tuesday warned that temperatures in the upper North and Northeast regions would drop further as many areas there and in the Central region remain submerged.

The department chief Wiboon Sanguanpong said the weather in Tak, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Loei, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Sakhon Nakhon and Nakhon Phanom provinces would be particularly severe.

He added that he had asked provincial officials to set up special centres to keep up with the weather and to distribute winter clothing. Wiboon said provincial governors could procure Bt1million worth of blankets from suppliers registered with the department at Bt180 apiece.

Areas where temperatures range between 8 and 15.9 degrees Celsius for seven days or areas recording temperatures below 8 degrees would be declared disaster zones, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-02

It's the same story every year.

What happens to all these blankets and winter clothing they dish out each year? Do people just throw them away every time winter finishes??!

The do give out blankets?? My entire village and I are baffled...??

What happens to all these blankets and winter clothing they dish out each year? Do people just throw them away every time winter finishes??!

The blankets are usually distributed to rather poor villages, often minority villages, where living conditions remain relatively primitive. These blankets are difficult to hand wash and don't take to well from a washing in the first place. As the blankets are not of a particularly high quality they just don't last many years.

I haven't seen any help for my wife's village in the lower north east. Guess some guys are selling whatever they can.

Unfortunately they're sitting around a fire when it's cold. People can buy warm clothes in the summer on second hand markets. :jap:

Wonderful! We survived the intense tropical temperatures at the beginning of the year and now we have the dawning of a new iceage to look forward to.

The Thai Government couldn`t give a rat`s behind if us farangs freeze to death, there we be no free hand outs of blankets or warm clothing for us.

Down my way the local bars are having a promotion and can provide us with a long stay bedwarmer guaranteed to keep the chill out during those long cold winter nights for an inclusive fee of 10000 baht per month.

Get one now before Ianforbes grabs the lot. See below:

post-110219-0-11386500-1288717316_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The Thai Government couldn`t give a rat`s behind if us farangs freeze to death, there we be no free hand outs of blankets or warm clothing for us.

Of course not, you don't even register on any scale. I guess you're being sarcastic, though, as <deleted> would Thailand be dishing out a blanket to someone who has the means to pay for a flight over here, or could simply head south to warmer climes? Would you not be embarrassed if you did take one...

Areas where temperatures range between 8 and 15.9 degrees Celsius for seven days or areas recording temperatures below 8 degrees would be declared disaster zones, he added.

Holy cow! In Michigan it can get below -30 degrees Celsius on really cold nights, and well below -10 Celsius on regular occasion throughout December through March. I couldn't imagine my town declaring an emergency for cold.

This is Grand Haven Michigan on Lake Michigan. Brrr.

post-65746-0-71116800-1288755332_thumb.j

Holy cow! In Michigan it can get below -30 degrees Celsius on really cold nights, and well below -10 Celsius on regular occasion throughout December through March. I couldn't imagine my town declaring an emergency for cold.

This is Grand Haven Michigan on Lake Michigan. Brrr.

post-65746-0-71116800-1288755332_thumb.j

Not a lot of guys in Michigan toughing it out in a bamboo hut is there?

Of course not, you don't even register on any scale. I guess you're being sarcastic, though, as <deleted> would Thailand be dishing out a blanket to someone who has the means to pay for a flight over here, or could simply head south to warmer climes? Would you not be embarrassed if you did take one...

I am betting not. Besides where in Thailand does it get down to what most people would consider cold where they come from? Yes I know there are a few from climates that never get below 10 celcious but not that many.B)

Gee I really love the photo all those tents.

.Is this the way Thai People get away from every thing go back to the wilderness..????

Or is it Thias worry about Ghost and need to go groups to feel safe.............................................................biggrin.gif

A report from the disaster zone:

I am now living in a disaster zone as our area has met the criteria. I live in a Thai village in a normal Thai house. I haven't heard of any handouts. I told the neighbors the news says it will get colder still. They said yes of course it will as if I am some sort of newbie (which I am). So how is it living in a disaster zone? Windy and dry; I'm using chapstick for the first time in Thailand. At dusk and dawn brrr I admit it would be nice to have a space heater. Neighbors light wood fires for warmth. I just throw on a sweater and it's ok for me. It gets coldest at night, but I find it actually makes wonderful sleeping weather like cranking AC really low and haven't added any blankets. Just a comforter as usual. I'm still wearing shorts in the day.

I slept under a 'blanket from the King' last cold season.

A little bit rough, but very warm.

I asked the gf where she got it from.

'Poor people sell them, every year', she replied.

Edited by sarahsbloke