Thanksgiving Dinner

junglechef

This year we ordered a roasted turkey and gravy from Rim Ping supermarket based on the recommendation of friends. I also understand that you can purchase cooked turkey from Bake N Bite as well.

Bake and Bite turkeys always seem to be better than most other places IMHO. Good stuffing and mashed potatoes too. ;)

Here is my bird from last year. Will do another one this year.:D

post-91169-0-85733100-1288931171_thumb.j

So, they're all coming to your place then? wink.gif

looks good and sounds like a plan, if you do need a classically trained chef to carve the bird .....

SCOOP! The Garden Restaurant (formerly Bake & Bite) Thapae soi 5 opposite Inter Inn has a good Thanksgiving menu for only 350 Baht, great home-style garden setting or you can "takeout"

They also have a brand new website that still needs to be indexed and Search engine optimized but since i built it quickly for a friend it will have to wait. Sorry rules prevent me from giving the URL here,

I stopped by the Garden today and got the final details on their very reasonable Thanksgiving dinner:

The Garden (across from Inter Inn)

November 25 2010 11:30 am - 4 pm 5 pm- 8 pm

Roast Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, cranberry sauce, apple or pumpkin pie

350 baht, (buy 6 dinners and get one free)

To reserve: 081 882 2840, 080 127 0922

(Sorry, I posted this before on the wrong thread).

Hey thanks U, its nice to recommend the good guys in CNX and "Well" at The Garden Restaurant is certainly one of them

I don't feel at liberty to say on the forum - PM me if you really need to know - but it is a rather trendy thing to do and some people swear that it is better.

Personally I prefer the traditional roast turkey.

Deep-frying, also known as deep-fat frying, is a process of immersing food in a deep pot containing heated oil. The turkey cooks quickly, producing a crispy surface over a tender and moist interior. It is becoming a popular alternative to roasting a whole turkey.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1198/how-to-deepfry-a-whole-turkey.asp

Those in the know on deep frying, say peanut oil is a must, due to the temperature required. Cooking time is a little over 3 minutes/pound at proper temperature. The size and price of peanut oil in CM would put the oil cost at about the same as a bird.

Those in the know on deep frying, say peanut oil is a must, due to the temperature required. Cooking time is a little over 3 minutes/pound at proper temperature. The size and price of peanut oil in CM would put the oil cost at about the same as a bird.

There is no problem re-using the oil, which would lower the cost substantially. That said, I doubt they're using peanut oil here. If they are, I'm making my Thanksgiving 2011 reservation now!

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG, Khun SlapOut, Khun El Jefe,

We hope your innards are already full, to your hearts' desires, of tasty Turkey, and all the goodies you enjoy with it by now :) And hopefully, if you're a dark meat eater, as we used to be, when our human meat-package had taste buds, and could swallow, already enjoying the possibly sleepy aftermath of all that tryptophan in the turkey meat.

But, the comments on deep-frying a turkey do make us curious.

Why peanut oil ? For flavor reasons ? There are other local oils, such as rice bran oil, with a much higher flash-point (490°F, 254°C) compared to peanut oil (unrefined peanut oil: 320F, 160C : refined peanut oil: 450F, 232C). And rice-bran oil, which we drink a small cupfull a day "straight" for nutritional reasons, is wonderfully healthy stuff, has almost no flavour, has no acidic after-bite like olive oil: Wikipedia on Rice Bran oil We've often wondered if the acidic after-bite of "extra virgin" olive oil was a result of the olives' sexual frustration.

We'd guess rice bran oil in bulk here would be cheaper than peanut oil ?

As to the idea of re-using the oil; this gives us the 'willies.' Assuming we are on Earth, we can imagine only this must be the idea that you would fry one turkey afer another in the same oil : wonder what the effect of that would be on the turkeys that came second, third, and so on ... It would be interesting to know the result of re-using the oil in terms of taste.

It has become popular now to soak turkeys in brine solution for two or three days, which has the effect of moisturizing the bird, and lessening the tendency of the white meat (the breast) to dry out from being overcooked, since the dark meat requires longer cooking: and last time we cooked a turkey in Amerikka (14 years ago ?) we did this: seemed tasty, but at that time we had working taste buds. Last we heard, the tradition of frying turkeys started in the Amerikkan south and spread from there.

It was part of "southern Amerikkan folk-lore," where our human larva matured, that eating the dark meat made you sleepier than eating the white meat, (but both white and dark made you sleeper), and later, we read that it was the large amount of L-tryptophan (supposedly a serotonin precursor) in turkey meat that had this effect, but it seems this idea is pooh-pooed now scientifically, if you care to do the research.

But then, where my human form grew up, there was a whole "cultural racial" thing about foods that was really weird (including the idea that those so-delicious catfish were "food for Black people," or lower-class White people).

One of our favorite dishes we used to make was to put a turkey breast (which we had punctured with a knife many times, after defrosting it) on a raised ceramic plate in a pressure cooker surrounded by water, pressure cook the hel_l out of it for ten minutes, then add in frozen corn, frozen baby limas, and then five more minutes of pressure cooking: this came close to a native American Indian dish, succotash, and, when finished off with some butter, and coarse-ground black pepper, made a delicious stew. The high-pressure cooking made the turkey white meat flaky soft.

On a practical level, we think the mutual gorging to satiation typical of the Amerikkan Thanksgivings we knew, as younger human, were, in part, a form of gastronomic trance to cause everyone to be so groggy that all the 'family skeletons' stayed in the closet :)

Happy T-Day !

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

• 11 months later...

We are talking about doing a pot luck and having the turkey delivered. I'd seen an ad for a roasted Turkey with an 8 lb minimum but of course cannot find it now. I hear that Ring Ping and Bake and Bite do this but are there any other options that people can suggest?

Thanks!

<br />
<br />Those in the know on deep frying, say peanut oil is a must, due to the temperature required. Cooking time is a little over 3 minutes/pound at proper temperature. The size and price of peanut oil in CM would put the oil cost at about the same as a bird.<br />
<br />There is no problem re-using the oil, which would lower the cost substantially. That said, I doubt they're using peanut oil here. If they are, I'm making my Thanksgiving 2011 reservation now!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If you find a place let me know. My ex brother in law had one of those fancy deep fryers made especially for turkeys. In peanut oil it was delicious. Best I ever had. I doubt any one in Chiang Mai would even have the fryer.

The Garden (the one across from the Inter Inn between Thapae Road and Loi Kroh Raod) is doing Thanksgigiving dinner for 390 baht and they have 3 seatings - one at 11:30 AM , one ine afternoon and one in the evening. It was really good last year and it is a nice setting in a garden area and they are nice people.

I stopped by the Garden today and got the final details on their very reasonable Thanksgiving dinner:

Roast Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, cranberry sauce, apple or pumpkin pie

On the 24th NOT the 25th!

On the 24th NOT the 25th!

Yes, Thursday the 24th. Thanks for poniting that out. :wai:

We will be in Chiang Mai over Thanksgiving and Bake & Bite sounds ok. We will be staying at the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel. How do we find B&B. We will be driving.

Looks like your request for directions was overlooked, so here goes :

Once over Nawarat Bridge going out of town you are on Keao Nawarat Road. Just less than 1km along, look out on your right for a) parked yellow cabs in the Soi ,B) a Bake and Bite sign and c) SOI 3. Turn into Soi 3 and take the second or third turning on your left --IT"S SIGNED B+B. I think it's 3/2.

Also click on Greenside's evergreen Map link below and scroll down the list to find MUANG MAI MARKET, click and adjust the scale to 200m =2.5 cms and the area to the right of the River is where you'll see Soi 3/2.

http://maps.google.c...2,0.090895&z=14

Edited by Asmerom

We will be in Chiang Mai over Thanksgiving and Bake & Bite sounds ok. We will be staying at the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel. How do we find B&B. We will be driving.

Once over Nawarat Bridge going out of town you are on Keao Nawarat Road. Just less than 1km along, look out on your right for a) parked yellow cabs in the Soi ,B) a Bake and Bite sign and c) SOI 3. Turn into Soi 3 and take the second or third turning on your left --IT"S SIGNED B+B. I think it's 3/2.

Once you cross Sapan Narawat you are on Charoen Muang not Kaeo Narawat. If you cross Sapan Nakornphing then you are on Kaeo Narawat and the rest of the directions make sense.

Once you cross Sapan Narawat you are on Charoen Muang not Kaeo Narawat. If you cross Sapan Nakornphing then you are on Kaeo Narawat and the rest of the directions make sense.

Many thanks for that correction. So many bridges aren't named on maps (at least in English) and Nawarat is the only name I know so I probably overuse it ,causing more confusion

390 baht, (buy 6 dinners and get one free)

Sorry, but I copied this incorrectly before. It is 390 baht.

Edited by Ulysses G.