Khao Soy

Spaniel

Huen Phen is good IMO, great Thai lunch menu and prices. Rachamankala Rd in center of old city.

My favorite khao soi is Chef Kitchen in Mae Jo. 30 baht, good taste, just right spicy, big chunks of chicken. Husband and wife chef team, she is former chef at Amari Rincome, all Thai food breakfast and lunch menu is excellent and cheap. MJU student lunch favorite. 7-8am to 5-6pm. Go north on CM- Phrao 1001 into Mae Jo town, turn right (east) at 3-way main intersection at south west corner of MJU, make first U-turn and its right there under the big green highway sign with white lettering for CM and Phrao. Coffee shop next door will bring your expresso to table. We eat there two or three times a week or pick up khao soi to take home.

That little stretch of road and corner also has best vet, motorcycle repair and hardware store.

try the "dirt wall" shop on kamphandin rd, near centara/le meridien hotels. 50 meters from loy kroh rd on south side of soi. beef, chicken & pork, 30thb. has a hand painted sign with alfresco tables. hours are sporadic but usually 10a to 2p.

also, in lotus, near east side hiway, parking lot "complex". 25thb, chicken or pork. no signs in english, u will need to ask around. 10a til 6p

both are locals places & not for the HOITY TOITY....

i dare to differ-while lamduang is or has been famous for kao soi it is out of the way and the quality of the product has diminished a lot.the place on charonpratet is a tourist trap and their overpriced kao soi's are not the real thing either. personally i would recommend a small vegetarian place -the third business coming from chiang mai gate on the left side of suriwong rd. also at khun chern as part of the lunch buffet on soi 17 nimmaheimin rd.-while i am not a vegetarian at all to me kao soi tastes much cleaner and happier without the meat.in any case it is important though to only order it in places that specialize in it - sell a lot and make it fresh every day.a few of my friends complained bitterly after having had it at daret for example although daret house is a fine restaurant otherwise and has excellent green curry for example.

just my personal opinion of course.

Daret house a fine restaurant? I went there tonight and the chicken potato curry was basically water with a few strips of chicken and potatoes. The worst curry I've had in Thailand. May be the other stuff on the menu is good but I can't fathom going back to check when there are so many other good restaurants around.

You must have been on an off night. Every Thai I've been to Darets with loved the food there. I go there often and think the food is fine and the price really can't be beat anywhere. Beer is very cheap and the staff are nice, friendly people. Even when everywhere else in town is deserted, Darets House is usually packed.

I wonder if there's another Daret's? I was there with 2 local Thais and they weren't happy either but yes it may have been a bad night. Seriously though, it was so bad that I don't think I could go back.

i dare to differ-while lamduang is or has been famous for kao soi it is out of the way and the quality of the product has diminished a lot.the place on charonpratet is a tourist trap and their overpriced kao soi's are not the real thing either. personally i would recommend a small vegetarian place -the third business coming from chiang mai gate on the left side of suriwong rd. also at khun chern as part of the lunch buffet on soi 17 nimmaheimin rd.-while i am not a vegetarian at all to me kao soi tastes much cleaner and happier without the meat.in any case it is important though to only order it in places that specialize in it - sell a lot and make it fresh every day.a few of my friends complained bitterly after having had it at daret for example although daret house is a fine restaurant otherwise and has excellent green curry for example.

just my personal opinion of course.

Daret house a fine restaurant? I went there tonight and the chicken potato curry was basically water with a few strips of chicken and potatoes. The worst curry I've had in Thailand. May be the other stuff on the menu is good but I can't fathom going back to check when there are so many other good restaurants around.

You must have been on an off night. Every Thai I've been to Darets with loved the food there. I go there often and think the food is fine and the price really can't be beat anywhere. Beer is very cheap and the staff are nice, friendly people. Even when everywhere else in town is deserted, Darets House is usually packed.

I wonder if there's another Daret's? I was there with 2 local Thais and they weren't happy either but yes it may have been a bad night. Seriously though, it was so bad that I don't think I could go back.

There is only one. Seriously it is not gourmet dining but it's completely acceptable and much better than some other places. And cheap!

So far, my favourite Khao Soy restaurant is in Nong Hoy. If you enter the soi from Mahidol Road between Varee and Asia Technology schools and continue until you come to a t-junction (to the right) with a bridge, there's a popular restaurant that has good Khao Soy.

I think that this place has the best Khao Soy. In particular they have fish Khao Soy which is my favorite. Regular size Khao Soy is 25 Baht and the large is 35 Baht. They only give you a small plate of condiments for the Khao Soy but will give you more if you ask for it.

All in all a good restaurant off the beaten path. It is only open for lunch and is closed one day a week but now I forget which day.

Have to agree, great Khao Soy! Open from 10-4pm every day incl.Sunday. Closed every 2nd Wednesday of the month. A real gem.

i dare to differ-while lamduang ........

.......just my personal opinion of course.

i have to admit that i don't go there much any more ,just an occasional fruit shake or lassi but the people eating there seem happy enough.it is not really authentic thai food to my taste but all my visiting friends liked it.B)

i dare to differ-while lamduang ........

.......just my personal opinion of course.

i have to admit that i don't go there much any more ,just an occasional fruit shake or lassi but the people eating there seem happy enough.it is not really authentic thai food to my taste but all my visiting friends liked it.B)

Darets always has been very good value and the food is Ok with good sized portions. Their beer is also quite cheap I think about 35 baht for a small Leo. Their fruit shakes are quite nice and its not a bad place just to sit, read the paper.

there is a surprisingly decent Khao Soy at the upper floor of Central Airport Plaza's Foodcourt. in the long row of Foodstalls, it is on the right end side (the last or second last stall, if I remember that right. nobody else had a Khao Soy there b4 ?

The secret of the KowSoy is in the sauce.

My favourite KS place's sauce is deeply coloured, thickish, and exquisite.

Go along CharoenRat on the east side of the river northwards past Kow Soy Faham, go under the superhwy, then left towards Talaad Kajow.

Before the market (maybe 50 metres before) on the left side is the place in question. Just look for the noodles to recognize it.

I think it may be 30 or 35 baht. I believe you need to charge at least this for good KowSoy.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the best Khao Soy place for farang tourists is 'Just Khao Soy' at

108/2 Charoenphratet Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand

The best Khao Soy place for lovers of Khao Soy is 'Khao Soy Lamduan (Fahahn)' at

352/22 Charoenraj Road, Chiang Mai+66 (0)53-243519

My wife and I were in Chiang Mai last week for 4 days and the first khao soy place we tried was the one recommended above, Khao Soy Lamduan. After the first trip there we didn't bother checking out the other places that were recommended as this was place was excellent. We ate there 3 times. Highly recommend this place for Khao Soy.