Thai Customs Chiang Mai Airport

chinofarang

hey everyone,

i am flying from l.a. to seoul then chiang mai. i ck my luggage straight through from los angeles. my question is how strict is the customs at cnx when it comes to having a bottle or two over the declared limit of spirits? and what will they do if they decide to hassle me. any suggestions? i know you are allowed one liter but what if i need that extra bottle of famous grouse? thanks for all past advice. this forum is the best.

chinofarang

I've twice flown into cnx with more bottles of spirits than allowed. I didn't declare the extra firewater and nobody checked my hardshell suitcase. I have heard of people with softshell suitcases who have had an immigration official lightly touch the outside of the suitcase but found nothing. I'm not saying that you won't be caught, but I wouldn't be worried. If your extra firewater is found, they'll likely confiscate it and let you continue on your way. Best wishes.

Ive been in the cnx customs line when they have checked almost every person. That was when I flew in when it was the only plane at arrivals. They waved on anyone with hand luggage only, but checked about everyone else.

Other times, when there were several planes being processed, they were being selective on who to check.

Best to wait for them to be busy with others before running the gaunlet B)