Vw Vento Auto Lpg

nitnoymoy

Hi folks,looking for a low cost set of wheels that tilac can master.I rather fancy a vw vento auto with lpg conversion.whats the spare parts situation like in thailand I am pattaya based? Is anyone else running one?I heared someone say they can convert to toyota engine?I know its a golf in uk but know FA about.any input appreciated!

Don't convert to Toyota!! The engine is bullet proof if taken care of well and it has no issues with LPG if tuned properly. Upgraded newer 20V VVti 1.8's are even readily available and parts are not so much of an issue to locate nor prohibitively expensive, this will increase your value where as a Toyota's engine change will decrease it.. Don't believe that? Just search listings and any such conversions you see are substantially devalued and still stay listed for months..

Actually we are just about to list our Vento for sale and I've just about refurbished the entire car mechanically over the last year as I'm anal about proper up-keep and maintenance and I've got about all of the Thai engineering out of it and back to OEM quality.

For your purposes though it is not an auto but it is my plan to convert it anyway prior to listing as I want to keep the manual and intend to purchase a SEAT which might be auto and switch it out. SEAT's are cheaper for newer but still entirely VW under the skin which most people overlook as did I originally since they aren't available where I'm from. They are only Spanish styling and assembly something you may consider if resale is not a major concern but initial cost is..

Don't convert to Toyota!! The engine is bullet proof if taken care of well and it has no issues with LPG if tuned properly. Upgraded newer 20V VVti 1.8's are even readily available and parts are not so much of an issue to locate nor prohibitively expensive, this will increase your value where as a Toyota's engine change will decrease it.. Don't believe that? Just search listings and any such conversions you see are substantially devalued and still stay listed for months..

Actually we are just about to list our Vento for sale and I've just about refurbished the entire car mechanically over the last year as I'm anal about proper up-keep and maintenance and I've got about all of the Thai engineering out of it and back to OEM quality.

For your purposes though it is not an auto but it is my plan to convert it anyway prior to listing as I want to keep the manual and intend to purchase a SEAT which might be auto and switch it out. SEAT's are cheaper for newer but still entirely VW under the skin which most people overlook as did I originally since they aren't available where I'm from. They are only Spanish styling and assembly something you may consider if resale is not a major concern but initial cost is..

VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda all identical under the skin, the largest Seat is even an (dated) 100% Audi A4 with minor cosmetic changes. I agree all VW engines handles LPG better than any stock Toyota petrol engine

1,6 2 valve, 1,6 4 valve, 1,8 5 valve, 1,8 5 valve turbo, or 2,0, or 2,3 VR5?

Kata respectfully I don't think the Vento came in all of those configurations here in Thailand, they are available though for conversions if requested..

1,6 2 valve, 1,6 4 valve, 1,8 5 valve, 1,8 5 valve turbo, or 2,0, or 2,3 VR5?

Kata respectfully I don't think the Vento came in all of those configurations here in Thailand, they are available though for conversions if requested..

OP asked how easy to source spares for engines, and the 1,6s, 2,0 and 2,3 arent easy here, and the 1,8T has only been sold as 150hp and 180hp here not 220-225hp.

I know its a golf in uk

Actually to be accurate, i think it was called the Jetta. Booted version of the Golf.

Yes and Bora.. The Golf is a hatch...Is that what you're actually seeking OP??

I believe it was Jetta for Golf MKI, Vento for MKII and III, and Bora for MKIV and later. Longer wheelbase for all of them as I recall, huge boot requiring stiffer rear suspension (same as Golf Estate).

I know its a golf in uk

Actually to be accurate, i think it was called the Jetta. Booted version of the Golf.

I believe it was Jetta for Golf MKI, Vento for MKII and III, and Bora for MKIV and later. Longer wheelbase for all of them as I recall, huge boot requiring stiffer rear suspension (same as Golf Estate).

No it's always been Golf in hatch form or Jetta/Bora/Vento respectively with a trunk or British slang "boot", Rabbit/Golf and Jetta/Bora in the states.. I don't understand your other response and I suspect the original post is also why the confusion :blink: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I know its a golf in uk

No it's always been Golf or Jetta/Bora/Vento respectively, Rabbit/Golf and Jetta/Bora in the states.. I don't understand your other response and I suspect the original post is also why the confusion :blink: ..

sorry I wasnt clear

Golf as sedan has been

Golf MKI = Jetta

Golf MKII and III = Vento

Golf MK IV and later = Bora

Rabbit was used in US market to name Golf and was also used on a few Golfs in Europe, among them a lower spec Golf GTi 1,8/112hp

No it's always been Golf or Jetta/Bora/Vento respectively, Rabbit/Golf and Jetta/Bora in the states.. I don't understand your other response and I suspect the original post is also why the confusion :blink: ..

sorry I wasnt clear

Golf as sedan has been

Golf MKI = Jetta

Rabbit was used in US market to name Golf and was also used on a few Golfs in Europe, among them a lower spec Golf GTi 1,8/112hp

Sorry have never heard of any VW sedans being named Golf's at any point or in any market.. The MkI Jetta version was referred to as a Fox and an Atlantic in some markets but not Golf and I can't find reference to that anywhere, do you have some source with which I can reference that info.?

Don't convert to Toyota!! The engine is bullet proof if taken care of well and it has no issues with LPG if tuned properly. Upgraded newer 20V VVt 1.8's are even readily available and parts are not so much of an issue to locate nor prohibitively expensive, this will increase your value where as a Toyota's engine change will decrease it.. Don't believe that? Just search listings and any such conversions you see are substantially devalued and still stay listed for months..

For your purposes though it is not an auto but it is my plan to convert it anyway prior to listing as I want to keep the manual and intend to purchase a SEAT which might be auto and switch it out. SEATs are cheaper for newer but still entirely VW under the skin which most people overlook as did I originally since they aren't available where I'm from. They are only Spanish styling and assembly something you may consider if resale is not a major concern but initial cost is..

I agree with you "the engine is bullet proof" but not so sure of the auto box, can be temperamental particularly when hot i believe, your thoughts please?

Don't convert to Toyota!! The engine is bullet proof if taken care of well and it has no issues with LPG if tuned properly. Upgraded newer 20V VVt 1.8's are even readily available and parts are not so much of an issue to locate nor prohibitively expensive, this will increase your value where as a Toyota's engine change will decrease it.. Don't believe that? Just search listings and any such conversions you see are substantially devalued and still stay listed for months..

For your purposes though it is not an auto but it is my plan to convert it anyway prior to listing as I want to keep the manual and intend to purchase a SEAT which might be auto and switch it out. SEATs are cheaper for newer but still entirely VW under the skin which most people overlook as did I originally since they aren't available where I'm from. They are only Spanish styling and assembly something you may consider if resale is not a major concern but initial cost is..

I agree with you "the engine is bullet proof" but not so sure of the auto box, can be temperamental particularly when hot i believe, your thoughts please?

Well there's enough of them here and older ones too so not really a problem whether or not it's a rebuild or a used one, but I just can't see all of these automatics having wholesale problems and still getting to the age they are... They are in nearly every Passat, Golf, Vento, SEAT and some Audi's in Thailand and even just VW's that's quite a few cars...

sorry I wasnt clear

Golf as sedan has been

Golf MKI = Jetta

Sorry have never heard of any VW sedans being named Golf's at any point or in any market.. The MkI Jetta version was referred to as a Fox and an Atlantic in some markets but not Golf and I can't find reference to that anywhere, do you have some source with which I can reference that info.?

sorry again I wasnt clear enough for you

Golf name is used for hatches and estates only

same car but booted and square headlightfront named as mentioned above, and of course as for every car in some markets another name was/is needed

Well there's enough of them here and older ones too so not really a problem whether or not it's a rebuild or a used one, but I just can't see all of these automatics having wholesale problems and still getting to the age they are... They are in nearly every Passat, Golf, Vento, SEAT and some Audi's in Thailand and even just VW's that's quite a few cars...

nope, while Golf is a frontwheeldrive transverse, Passat/Santana is and has always been frontwheeldrive longitude installation. so autobox is/can not be same

autotrans ability to handle heat depends on who has imported/specked car. It should come to LOS with hot climate package, but grey market cars are often UK sourced with out hot climate package. extra auto oilcooler solves it.

Edited by katabeachbum

sorry I wasnt clear

Golf as sedan has been

Golf MKI = Jetta

sorry again I wasnt clear enough for you

Golf name is used for hatches and estates only

same car but booted and square headlightfront named as mentioned above, and of course as for every car in some markets another name was/is needed

Thank you for the patronizing tone but I guess the confusion stems from the fact that I had already mentioned in my earlier post well before yours that a Golf was a hatch not the Jetta nor Vento which are sedans so I didn't understand the difference in the information between what I posted and what you posted and apperently there was none....

Post in question:

I know its a golf in uk

For future informational purposes the chassis are identical with mere insignificant millimeters in suspension difference on only specific models but not between the sedan version and the hatch...

nope, while Golf is a frontwheeldrive transverse, Passat/Santana is and has always been frontwheeldrive longitude installation. so autobox is/can not be same

autotrans ability to handle heat depends on who has imported/specked car. It should come to LOS with hot climate package, but grey market cars are often UK sourced with out hot climate package. extra auto oilcooler solves it.

Sorry to correct you again but some models of the pre 2000 Passat Gl's 2.0 which are very common here are the same drive train and platform as the Golfs and Ventos albeit with some stretching done in their case..

A quick confirmation with Wiki or quick scan through Taladrod would have helped you before you posted..

The fuel injected petrol engines gave better performance and refinement than the carburettor units previously used. They were mounted transversely, Source: Wikipedia

Would you consider this to be transverse mounted or longitudinally?

This is not an engine conversion either they're all listed the same..

I also highlighted my disclaimer in my previous post as to not referring to all Passats here admittedly I should have said older Passat's or Passat Gl 2.0's but at that time of night after a long day I couldn't be arsed..In retrospect I should have known better here...

Are we done with this joust now?? :rolleyes:

It is also important to point out that nearly all automatic transmissions here are equipped with an oil to water cooler already installed and it is easy enough to confirm as it is a small box looking unit that sits directly on top of the transmission and has water hoses running into it from the cooling system..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Sorry to correct you again but some models of the pre 2000 Passat Gl's 2.0 which are very common here are the same drive train and platform as the Golfs and Ventos albeit with some stretching done in their case..

A quick confirmation with Wiki or quick scan through Taladrod would have helped you before you posted..

The fuel injected petrol engines gave better performance and refinement than the carburettor units previously used. They were mounted transversely, Source: Wikipedia

Would you consider this to be transverse mounted or longitudinally?

This is not an engine conversion either they're all listed the same..

I also highlighted my disclaimer in my previous post as to not referring to all Passats here admittedly I should have said older Passat's or Passat Gl 2.0's but at that time of night after a long day I couldn't be arsed..In retrospect I should have known better here...

Are we done with this joust now?? :rolleyes:

It is also important to point out that nearly all automatic transmissions here are equipped with an oil to water cooler already installed and it is easy enough to confirm as it is a small box looking unit that sits directly on top of the transmission and has water hoses running into it from the cooling system..

sorry, I have worked to much with VW to trust wiki or google, which I never use.

Passat was launched 1974 as 1975 model as I recall, and had longitudal engine installation at that time and since 1997. Santana was a sedan on same car to satisfy Chinese market crave for sedans. Later Passat dropped the hatch, and came since 1997 as sedans and estates only, and all models since with longitudal engine.

The pictured car at talangrod looks od. Its def a Passat body until 1996/7 (not a sterctched Vento) and looks like a Golf/Vento driveline, but without the VIN I cant say more. I know they made Passats her in LOS for a few years(with huge losses), and this could be a LOS only edition

Present car models I can not recall any other brand than VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda, with longitudal and frontwheeldrive, and one of the resons for this design is the ease of torsen 4x4 as introduced in Audi Quattro some 35 years ago

and warpy, we are done when we have facts :) if you pick info from internett and I pick from my aging brain, we may end up with a conclusion :D

Edited by katabeachbum

I guess were not done jousting then? Though this will be the last attempt at clarification for me..

So you don't even trust your own eyes and the link I provided with numerous Passats listed as 2.0Gl's with transverse mounted FWD in LOS?? That's what I call determination.............Or something else...... :blink:

It may be a little known package for Thailand but it's available none the less and the inquiry was in regards to Thailand anyway so that's good enough for me..

I love that old "I don't trust Wiki" line it's that old classic attempt at an escape route taken when one is caught ill informed and has no real credible response...

If you choose not to trust a reliable resource like Wiki (on most topics especially this type of topic) that's up to you but a foolish way of saying you're not well enough informed to distinguish when the info on there is correct or not? Which in this case it clearly is... JFYI Wiki is updated and corrected by so called people in the know such as yourself so on second thought you may have a point on it's accuracy I guess.. But in reality where such technical materials are posted and readily available for verification and confirmation should a discrepancy arise it is very rare to have incorrect information on such topics..

No body said it was a "stretched" Vento you're really having problems keeping up with the facts presented I said the platform is common between models but it has been widened and lengthened regardless of what you think you know.. Did you look at any other listings on there? They're mostly all the same package pre 2000.... 2.0 GL Passat it's not a one off, as previously stated..

It may be a "LOS" only edition which is really irrelevant given what I stated! What did my post say?? It applies to LOS since we are in LOS and that's what I said "many Passats here have the same drive train as Golfs and Ventos!!!!!!!" You mis-corrected with "nope they're all longitudinally mounted engines and always have been " paraphrasing of course..

My brain is not aged nor alcohol soaked (not necessarily a poke just avoiding one in return) and it's backed with the same facts to links I posted merely for your benefit which you still seem to be ignorantly foolish enough to deny. So that's a significant one up on you and you're stubbornness not to accept the evidence provided to you and yes we are done.. On some matters you have a respectable background but in this case you're way off base and refuse to accept that even with irrefutable proof provided... Sad really :huh: ..

I've researched the crap out of VW's for 20 years using everything I've learned to develop, compete in and win with VW's so I know a thing or two about what is compatible and what packages are offered and recently I just did this same process here to know exactly what was available for me to compete with. I've also looked at dozens of Passats, Golfs, Vento's, SEATs and Audi's for that very same purpose and for a purchase of my own personal daily driver so how many have you seen here personally and in recent times??

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

From wiki "For the third generation, the Jetta name was discontinued, and it was officially re-named the Volkswagen Vento in European countries, following the precedent of naming cars for winds debuted in 1992"

So yeah that would be a great choice too.

If you want a Toyota buy a Toyota.

No comparison to a VW.

I guess were not done jousting then? Though this will be the last attempt at clarification for me..

So you don't even trust your own eyes and the link I provided with numerous Passats listed as 2.0Gl's with transverse mounted FWD in LOS?? That's what I call determination.............Or something else...... :blink:

It may be a little known package for Thailand but it's available none the less and the inquiry was in regards to Thailand anyway so that's good enough for me..

I love that old "I don't trust Wiki" line it's that old classic attempt at an escape route taken when one is caught ill informed and has no real credible response...

If you choose not to trust a reliable resource like Wiki (on most topics especially this type of topic) that's up to you but a foolish way of saying you're not well enough informed to distinguish when the info on there is correct or not? Which in this case it clearly is... JFYI Wiki is updated and corrected by so called people in the know such as yourself so on second thought you may have a point on it's accuracy I guess.. But in reality where such technical materials are posted and readily available for verification and confirmation should a discrepancy arise it is very rare to have incorrect information on such topics..

No body said it was a "stretched" Vento you're really having problems keeping up with the facts presented I said the platform is common between models but it has been widened and lengthened regardless of what you think you know.. Did you look at any other listings on there? They're mostly all the same package pre 2000.... 2.0 GL Passat it's not a one off, as previously stated..

It may be a "LOS" only edition which is really irrelevant given what I stated! What did my post say?? It applies to LOS since we are in LOS and that's what I said "many Passats here have the same drive train as Golfs and Ventos!!!!!!!" You mis-corrected with "nope they're all longitudinally mounted engines and always have been " paraphrasing of course..

My brain is not aged nor alcohol soaked (not necessarily a poke just avoiding one in return) and it's backed with the same facts to links I posted merely for your benefit which you still seem to be ignorantly foolish enough to deny. So that's a significant one up on you and you're stubbornness not to accept the evidence provided to you is making you look the right fool and yes we are done.. On some matters you have a respectable background but in this case you're way off base and refuse to accept that even with irrefutable proof provided... Sad really :huh: ..

I've researched the crap out of VW's for 20 years using everything I've learned to develop, compete in and win with VW's so I know a thing or two about what is compatible and what packages are offered and recently I just did this same process here to know exactly what was available for me to compete with. I've also looked at dozens of Passats, Golfs, Vento's, SEATs and Audi's for that very same purpose and for a purchase of my own personal daily driver so how many have you seen here personally and in recent times??

there is nothing similar between Golf/Vento platform and the Passat platform you have presented. This Passat model was discontinued in Europe in 1997, but continued in developing markets like LOS and China, with a transverse Golf/Vento driveline to make them inexpensive

Oh well then :jap: ... And yet you didn't even know it was transversed mounted engine?? :whistling: I'll leave it at that...

cause all 1997 model Passat in the rest of the world has longitudal engine mount, just as it had in 1975 and has in 2010

And????? Where in my post in question did I make mention of any date of manufacture and where did you do same until now in your definitive rebuke of said post???