Picking Up My Furniture

I will be utilizing a r-o visa in the next year or so and I am wondering what the actual proceedure is that takes place when I go to pick up my housold items comming from America at the Thai customs.

Is every thing in the container removed and inspected or do they rely pretty much on the manifest?

Also is there a comprehensive list of items one can bring/do not bring ect? I know about the obvious ones.

I once read a story where a yacht owner was jailed because he had 2 vhf radios in his boat. I do not wish to go downtown for a cordless phone ect!

Thanks for the info!

First there is no such visa so believe you are probably thinking of O-A type non immigrant visa for retirement.

Second there does not seem to be any duty free provision for those here unless with a work permit so you may want to check that out closely - Customs web site has red notation on this point and have not seen any report of success lately.

Third is get rid of what may not fit in here - overstuffed furniture in hot, humid climate may not be a good idea; 120v/60hz will not work without transformer and even then may fail if using AC motor or timing. And as the same plugs are used here as in US there is every likelihood you or maid will zap any 120v equipment. TV is not the same here. Electrical equipment is cheap here so my advise would be to sell, give away everything and start new. I would limit shipment to underwear and warm weather clothing and the personal items you want to keep.

Customs may or may not inspect everything.

People I know that have shipped over personal belongings have told me that they would never have done it if they had known what was involved.

Nothing was simple, numerous visits to Bangkok, Lots of tea money. One of my friends had a small shipment, but cost him more than the value of the goods in the end. Cost a lot more in frustration!

Unless these belongings are really important, I would forget it and have a garage sale in America.

Otherwise see if it is possible to use a removals firm that will take care of absolutely everything at a set price and will deliver to your door in Thailand.

it was very simple for me, cheap around 900 dollars for Melbourne / Bangkok , put the container on the name of a Thai student returning home, they allow furniture’s back & I did not paid tax or tea money , perhaps some clearance tax.

I did not approached anything, let my Chinese friend organize the lot !

will i do it again if i was alone , no !

I herded they are heavy on tax ..

yes paid agent in Newcastle Aust($400) who arranged for consignment to go to Sydney on ship & offloaded here in Bkk, then had choice of walking it thru customs myself and then arranginging delivery to Nonthburi all this was done without a hassle for 6000 baht at this end was cheap I considered.

yes paid agent in Newcastle Aust($400) who arranged for consignment to go to Sydney on ship & offloaded here in Bkk, then had choice of walking it thru customs myself and then arranginging delivery to Nonthburi all this was done without a hassle for 6000 baht at this end  was cheap I considered.

Ahhhhh now I see. I had trouble with the shorthand too :o