Looking For A Jeep -- Long Term Rent

If you are on Samui, the 'normal' price for a jeep is 12,000 per month with 'full' insurance.

If you shop around you will get one for less for sure. Especially from the smaller renters.

Check the insurance and especially, check the 'pay the first x,000 baht' for any claim. Also - do you have to leave a passport? Try and avoid this. The better guys (at 12,000) do not keep your passport. I use 3 suppliers that I have known for years. PM me if you want phone numbers.

Watch out for people saying that they have insurance, but it is only the government insurance. this will only cover you for a maximum of 50,000 baht - third party! Nothing for you or the vehicle that you are driving. :o

Happy motoring B)

Tropicalevo, thank you for the information! Can you please tell a little about this one:

check the 'pay the first x,000 baht' for any claim

I don't understand what is this. Thanks again!

Full insurance will cover you for injury and damage to driver, passenger, rental jeep and third parties. But whenever you make a claim in an accident, there is always an amount that you pay first. This is to protect the insurance companies from lots of small claims due to parking, minor bumps etc.

The x,000 is usually 5,000 or 10,000 baht in the policies that I have seen.

So - the jeep is in a car park and someone hits the jeep. 3,000 baht of damage. You pay the first x,000 baht. In this case that means that you pay 3,000. Does not involve the insurance company.

Next - a minor scrape. Damage is 12,000 baht to your jeep and a motorbike! You will still have to pay the first x,000 baht (5,000 or 10,000 or whatever) and the insurance company will pay the rest.

Worst case - huge crash, the jeep is a write off and there are hospital bills. You pay the x,000 baht. The insurance company pays the rest. (There will be a limit.)

Hope that this makes sense.This is the simplified version. As always with insurance companies, there are lots of clauses, but this is the main bit.