Chiang Mai Loi Krathong Festival To Generate Bt1 Billion

webfact

Chiang Mai Loi Krathong festival to generate Bt1 billion

CHIANG MAI, Nov 8 - This year's Chiang Mai Loi Krathong festival is expected to generate revenue of more than Bt1 billion in this northern province, according to Chalermsak Suranant, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Chiang Mai Office.

He said increasing numbers of tourists have chosen Chiang Mai as their destination.

An on average 70-per cent increase in room bookings has been seen at hotels with all price ranges, but reservations for Chiang Mai's five-star hotels standing alone has risen to over 80 per cent scheduled occupancy. Around 30,000 travellers are expected to flock to the province during the Loi Krathong festival Nov 20-22.

The Chiang Mai Municipality and TAT's Chiang Mai Office will sponsor their annual northern lantern festival and Yi-Peng Loi Krathong under the local Lanna theme.

The chief executive of the Chiang Mai Provincial Administrative Organisation, Bunlech Buranupakon, said that Lanna activities will be promoted both in the city centre and in all the districts during the festival.

The Lanna-style floating lanterns (Yi-Peng) is a unique aspect of the Chiang Mai Loi Krathong festival. It is believed that one's troubles will be set adrift and float away when releasing the huge lanterns into the sky.

'Yi-peng' literally means the full moon night of the twelfth lunar month. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-11-08

What would be really useful information is exactly where and when the festival will be! Are those details a secret perhaps?

1000 KhomLoy release (hot air floating lantern) at the MaeJo Dhamma centre behind MaeJo university (18 km out of Chiangmai along the 1001) on Saturday 20th, release approx 7pm, past the uni entrance, hang a u-ey, turn left before the uni, the police wave at the road to follow.

Main parade in ChiangMai after dark on the Tha Pae road (Tha Pae gare) leading to the main river (wide) bridge Sunday 21st approx 7pm

Floaters should be on 21st afternoon/dusk/early evening at the main bridge. But TIT and nobody is telling.

MaeJo Dhamma Centre

Maejo.jpg

Parade Route round the moat, then the wrong way up ThaPae Road, ending at the bridge.

parade.jpg

Edited by sarahsbloke

What would be really useful information is exactly where and when the festival will be! Are those details a secret perhaps?

1000 KhomLoy release (hot air floating lantern) at the MaeJo Dhamma centre behind MaeJo university (18 km out of Chiangmai along the 1001) on Saturday 20th, release approx 7pm, past the uni entrance, hang a u-ey, turn leff before the uni, the police wave at the road to follow.

Main parade in ChiangMai after dark on the Tha Pae road (Tha Pae gare) leading to the main river (wide) bridge Sunday 21st approx 7pm

Brilliant - Thank you!!! This is exactly the info I wanted.

THANKS!

Do these people smoke that stuff legally???

70 -80% where do they come up with those numbers??? in a trance.????

Pure wishful BS

but i guess if you had 2 before and have 4 now , that is a 100% increase.

Lies

Goddamn Lies

Statistics

Meaningless as they do not say an increase over what and when :)

Just added maps!

If you go to MaeJo get their early (aim for 6pm), food and soft drinks on sale all evening, as well as KhomLoy and fireworks. Huge traffic jams, unless you are crazy person on m/c like me.

Hi - thank you for the maps... it all makes perfect sense now. I was asked by a friend if there is likely to be any public transport going out to the MaeJo field from the city.... do you happen to know about that by any chance?

Thanks for your very helpful responses.

is the parade on the

20 or 21?

from this link it is on the 20!!!

pleas help

http://www.loikrathong.net/en/Highlight_Chiang_Mai.php

1000 KhomLoy release (hot air floating lantern) at the MaeJo Dhamma centre behind MaeJo university (18 km out of Chiangmai along the 1001) on Saturday 20th, release approx 7pm, past the uni entrance, hang a u-ey, turn left before the uni, the police wave at the road to follow.

Floaters should be on 21st afternoon/dusk/early evening at the main bridge. But TIT and nobody is telling.

MaeJo Dhamma Centre

Maejo.jpg

Parade Route round the moat, then the wrong way up ThaPae Road, ending at the bridge.

parade.jpg

Edited by dauu

Pure wishful BS

Lies

Goddamn Lies

Statistics

On BBC they are reporting that Thailand has a "roaring, booming economy". They said tourism is up and that they are exporting huge numbers of locally manufactured cars all over Asia. Is any of that true?

Pure wishful BS

Lies

Goddamn Lies

Statistics

On BBC they are reporting that Thailand has a "roaring, booming economy". They said tourism is up and that they are exporting huge numbers of locally manufactured cars all over Asia. Is any of that true?

The Thais are locally assembling predominantly Japanese cars and pick-ups. Double dipping going on with the export figures no doubt.

Compared to this time last year CMai is packed... 2 owners of GH's I know say they are fully booked now and this has not happened for a couple of years. I gather those GH's that are not full in this High Season are out of the Main area and not in travel books like Lonely Planet especially. These places will continue to struggle as they always have....

It is absolutely PACKED with tourists every single time I venture in town.

Keeping out of town during this time as the traffic is driving me insane- coming too close to accidents with motorcyclists who must feel they a immortal... traffic an absolute joke ATM... do not venture by car into town would be my advice.

Take a taxi or Songtow... a motorbike if you love flirting with death- Lol.

Chok Dee

:jap: