Trains From Chiang Mai

HowardB

Hi everyone

I made a similar post in the "Travel" section of TV but obviously no one travels north of Bangkok except you guys, despite receiving over 150 visitors no one could answer. I wanted to travel from Chiang Mai to Phichit last week but due to the floods all trains to Bangkok were cancelled. and I had to take the bus I will be back in Thailand again next week and want to take the same trip. Does anyone know if the trains are running as normal yet? Ok, I know that "running as normal" doesn't guarantee me a train too ;)

Thanks Howard

Edited by bazmlb
Poor netiquette regarding fonts

They have been operating normally since at least a week gone last Saturday, when I caught train 109, 1430 Bangkok-Chiang Mai. All trains are operating normally today, subject only to the customary hours or two's delay!

The flood damage just north of Lopburi, a pohoto of which appeared on another another thread on this forum a fortnight or so ago, as been repaired, the track replaced, and is operating normally, subject only to a 20 mph speed restriction.

To see SRT's Train Tracking Service, go to http://www.railway.co.th/tts/ It defaults to the Northern line. The top right box, under the little picture, is for trains from Bangkok and the one below is for trains to Bangkok. Its in Thai, but is easy to understand if you know your train numbers. If you don't, go to the SRT homepage, click on the English version and to to Timelables.

Edited by Nuff Said

They have been operating normally since at least a week gone last Saturday, when I caught train 109, 1430 Bangkok-Chiang Mai. All trains are operating normally today, subject only to the customary hours or two's delay!

The flood damage just north of Lopburi, a pohoto of which appeared on another another thread on this forum a fortnight or so ago, as been repaired, the track replaced, and is operating normally, subject only to a 20 mph speed restriction.

To see SRT's Train Tracking Service, go to http://www.railway.co.th/tts/ It defaults to the Northern line. The top right box, under the little picture, is for trains from Bangkok and the one below is for trains to Bangkok. Its in Thai, but is easy to understand if you know your train numbers. If you don't, go to the SRT homepage, click on the English version and to to Timelables.

Thanks for that, I don't think I could endure another 8 hours on a bus. Being a tall person doesn't make travelling an enjoyable experience.

Howard

Thanks for that, I don't think I could endure another 8 hours on a bus. Being a tall person doesn't make travelling an enjoyable experience.

Howard

I'm not keen on long distance bus services either, but was prepared to take one from Bangkok to Chiang Mai if neccessary.

So they can continue at top speed then.

They'll never have the name BULLET attached to them.:lol:

The overnight trains are OK, but it's painful sitting on a long journey during the day. I'm not sure if the train moves or if it's stationary and the ground moves, its hard to detect.

Edited by uptheos

... snip ... Thanks for that, I don't think I could endure another 8 hours on a bus. Being a tall person doesn't make travelling an enjoyable experience.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Howard,

If you are a really tall person, you may want to consider that even first class sleeper RR is probably going to not allow you to stretch your legs out straight if you go that class. You are either going to need to go "fetal" which may leave your knees sticking out in the corridor, or lie on your back and bend your knees. My human container is very close to six feet tall, and was not comfortable a lot of the night.

As to "other" comfort: last time rode CM=>BKK by train (1st. class sleeper) was several years ago; constant creaking, frequent crunching stops; very disturbing compared to a big VIP bus. But, who knows maybe trains are a much better ride now ? Think my body was on the "express" version, but am not sure.

As to which is worse: arrival at Hua Lamphong (train); or Mor Chit (bus) ? Toss-up ?

good luck, ~o:37;

... snip ... Thanks for that, I don't think I could endure another 8 hours on a bus. Being a tall person doesn't make travelling an enjoyable experience.

As to "other" comfort: last time rode CM=>BKK by train (1st. class sleeper) was several years ago; constant creaking, frequent crunching stops; very disturbing compared to a big VIP bus. But, who knows maybe trains are a much better ride now ? Think my body was on the "express" version, but am not sure.

I find 5 large Changs helps with the creaking and crunching stops.

If you are a really tall person, you may want to consider that even first class sleeper RR is probably going to not allow you to stretch your legs out straight if you go that class. You are either going to need to go "fetal" which may leave your knees sticking out in the corridor, or lie on your back and bend your knees. My human container is very close to six feet tall, and was not comfortable a lot of the night.

As to which is worse: arrival at Hua Lamphong (train); or Mor Chit (bus) ? Toss-up ?

I'm six feet tall and there a knack, but you kind of have to kind of scrunch the pillow under your head and place your feet flat against the bottom part of the couch. Of course you will get off at Hualompong, as if you've stepped straight out of a coffin.

Yes, once they have passed over the repaired section. When repair work such as this has been carried out, a temporary speed restriction (sorry, I omitted the word 'temporary' from my original post) is impoosed until the eartworks, ballast and relaid track have stabalised, settled and bedded in. The weight of the passing trains help this proocess, although there are now machines that can do the job without the need for temporary speed restrictions, but I doubt if SRT has any. Wheh the civil engineer is satisfied that the repaired section of track is as stable as it needs to be for safe opertation at notmal line speed, the temporary speed restriction will be withdrawn.

The overnight trains are OK, but it's painful sitting on a long journey during the day. I'm not sure if the train moves or if it's stationary and the ground moves, its hard to detect.

Totally agree. I love the overnight trains, they have character. The so called 'Express Diesel Railcars', premium fare trains which operate both day and night long distance services, are dreadful and totally unsuitable for the purpose. They are noisy, with underfloor engines and poor sound insulation, if any at all, and the constant whining of fans and air conditioning equipment does not make for a pleaseant journey. The catering service, which is included in the fare, is very poor, and makes an economy class airline meal seem like a 5 course banquet. The trains themselves are, from my experience, tatty, shabby and in desperate need of a full works overhaul

To Nuffsaid, you are quite correct, the rail motors are very bad. The problem is that they were designed for branch line operation in the U.K., never for main line running.Further, the engines and transmissions were built by a marine engine company, and so were designed to run for long hours at constant R.P.M's.,not for variable engine speeds ,as in a train. Originally, they suffered many engine failures. I only travelled in one once. Never again.Makes one wonder , as to who or why ,they were purchased for use on long distance main lines

To Nuffsaid, you are quite correct, the rail motors are very bad. The problem is that they were designed for branch line operation in the U.K., never for main line running.Further, the engines and transmissions were built by a marine engine company, and so were designed to run for long hours at constant R.P.M's.,not for variable engine speeds ,as in a train. Originally, they suffered many engine failures. I only travelled in one once. Never again.Makes one wonder , as to who or why ,they were purchased for use on long distance main lines

I also no longer use the Express Diesel Railcar services. Much as I am pro rail, 12 hours from Chiang Mai to Bangkok is a journey too far. Next time I need to make a daytime journey it will be the first class bus, 21 seater, even if its the best part of 200 Baht more.

Oh thank the Lord that I am only 5'6" - I was planning on using the train next time I am in Thailand. We flew last time and they confiscated my diabetes kit (I did get it back). I have travelled for business all around Australia and to various ports in Asia and Europe and never had a problem (It's got needles, etc) and never had a problem (except in Hong Kong where they put me to one side and covered me with a couple of machine guns whilst they checked it out) (and there was the time in Frankfurt where I got intimately patted down by a Sargeant Schultz look alike - meanwhile an absolutely gorgeous blonde girl was patting down all of the women - but I digress) Enjoy your train ride