Heineken To Introduce More Brands Into Thai Market

Heineken Gears Up for Fierce Competition in Beer Industry

Heineken is planning to introduce more brands into the Thai market in an attempt to reverse the sluggish sales the brand has experienced over the past few years.

Panya Pongthanya, general manager of Thai Asia Pacific Brewery, the Thai producer of Heineken brand, reported that the company's revenue over the past three years is down about 2 percent.

However, the beer market overall may be picking up a bit after the company's negative growth of 12 to 13 percent last year.

Panya cited political instability, increase in excise taxes by 27 percent, and stricter alcohol control as the reasons for the drop in sales.

At any rate, Panya claims that the company is faring better than most as the whole industry may have shrunk by 5 to 6 percent.

According to the latest market research, Heineken may have experienced 2 to 3 percent negative growth, but Chang sales are also down 2 to 3 percent, Singha is down 10 percent and Leo is at down 9 percent growth.

On the other hand, Archa has grown 10 percent because of its low price.

Panya also said that the company is planning to introduce more brands to the market after Heineken International, its parent company in the Netherlands, took over the Scottish and New Castle brands from England in 2008 and Mexico' FEMSA earlier this year.

Heineken is now the 2nd largest beer company in the World.

Currently, the Thai Asia Pacific Brewery is looking at the possibility of introducing five brands in the Thai market.

Among them are Guinness and Kilkenny, which have been well received during market trials.

The company has also increased its marketing budget by 10 percent and expects that sales will rise by 6 percent while the overall industry experiences no growth.

If market factors remain positive, the company's market share should be increased to 8 to 10 percent over the next five years.

The company also plans to spend more than 50 million baht in this year's beer parks.

The Heineken brand will open seven beer parks and between 50 and 60 booths at popular restaurants around the country.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-09

footer_n.gif

I am all for a bit more variety, but am afraid it will be more of the same Euro Fizz, what we want is some real ale but its too much trouble for these big outfits, if they could get their heads round it the first one in would make a killing. Anybody fancy setting up a micro brewery? First one in makes a killing.:)

I am all for a bit more variety, but am afraid it will be more of the same Euro Fizz, what we want is some real ale but its too much trouble for these big outfits, if they could get their heads round it the first one in would make a killing. Anybody fancy setting up a micro brewery? First one in makes a killing.:)

They tried a micro brewery in Phuket, but it failed. I never went when it was open, so I'm not sure if it was the beer, location, or price...

There's already a few around Bangkok, and I think 1 in Pattaya.

Heinekin is crap beer, and anything else they make I'm guessing will be just as bad and even more expensive so I'll stick with Chang.

They tried a micro brewery in Phuket, but it failed. I never went when it was open, so I'm not sure if it was the beer, location, or price...

Was that the nice new microbrewery across from TESCO? They put a lot of money into that brewery and it looked very well done and was also a restaurant I believe? Never went in myself, only passed it numerous times... I hope it wasn't that brewery I hate to see a well done business like that go under..

Was that the nice new microbrewery across from TESCO? They put a lot of money into that brewery and it looked very well done and was also a restaurant I believe? Never went in myself, only passed it numerous times... I hope it wasn't that brewery I hate to see a well done business like that go under..

Yes, that's the one...

There's already a few around Bangkok, and I think 1 in Pattaya.

Heinekin is crap beer, and anything else they make I'm guessing will be just as bad and even more expensive so I'll stick with Chang.

Agree crap beer add to that overpriced, they can keep it.