Xp Service Pack 2 Solved A Problem

bdenner

This topic relates to a thread I started when my MSPaint application failed late in June.

Problem is now solved with no thanks to both MS and HP Support centres. (Long story).

For an unrelated reason I decided to download and install Windows XP Home Service Pack 2.

Quite a challenge for my AIS GPRS connection – 85.4 Mb in 4 hours 22 minutes with only 2 dropouts. Installed OK with some additional security updates then low and behold MSpaint is alive and well again.

The download appears to be placed into many sub directories in the directory C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\…. And some of the applications are in constant use as I am unable to copy them. Will have to do it in ‘safe mode’ later.

Questions:

If I burn this dir onto a CD will I be able to reinstall it later in the event of a rebuild?

What other directories should I copy?

Is it just too hard, should I buy the SP2 Software on CD or even wait a year for ‘Longhorn’ (MS next generation OS) and hope for the best?

Thank you in advance.

Is it just too hard, should I buy the SP2 Software on CD or even wait a year for ‘Longhorn’ (MS next generation OS) and hope for the best?

I ordered XP Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and got it free by post. It took 2 weeks. But I have not installed it. I am not convinced that it is necessary.