"Mr Mike" Passed Away In The Uk

Flatouthruthefog

I heard recently from his daughter in law in UK of the demise (from natural causes) of Mike Fretwell, a tall, slim, silver haired man known here for many years as "Mister Mike."

Mike left Chiang Mai some 4 years ago for health reasons, about a year after the death of his Thai lady friend who worked at the 'Chippy Shop' which he funded, opposite the Yamaha music centre just off Rachadamnoen Road.

This opened just before the fish n chip shop in Rachawitee, almost opposite the UNIrish Pub and sadly featured only chips, no fish.

Mike led an interesting and colourful life here. Maybe the most colourful aspect was his brief - very brief - stint as 'manager' of a bar close to Thapae Gate? This Place, which for obvious reasons must remain nameless, once had 2 exotic dancers. Buxom young female European back packers who had run out of funds and needed employment.

I was told that they were real crowd pullers for a few evenings, before young Thai ladies blew the whistle on them, fearing for their jobs. In came the Powers That Be and carted away all 3 (Mike included). Mike, who must have been mid 70's at the time but could pass for 80, got off with a stiff warning. The 2 young ladies were never seen here again.

RIP Mike.

(By now I'd expected to see an Obit of Phil Harris here, a well known, very popular figure and for a long time a geat supporter of thaivisa. Come on......give the man credit....!).