Thai Labour Law Regarding Resignation

After signing a one year contract I find myself being offered a position at a more presitigous school with considerably better pay. What does Thai Labour Law say the foreign employee needs to do in order to resign properly. i.e. the length of the resignation period and the paper work to cancel the teaching cerificate and work permit etc.

After signing a one year contract I find myself being offered a position at a more presitigous school with considerably better pay. What does Thai Labour Law say the foreign employee needs to do in order to resign properly. i.e. the length of the resignation period and the paper work to cancel the teaching cerificate and work permit etc.

What does your contract say about notice on either side ?

Normally, the contract will state a one month minimum from either side. Check your contract. If say, you got no contract at all then you could report your employer to the Ministry of Labour and he/she can be in for some serious explaining + pay a hefty fine and in some instance even face closure of business!

Good Luck!

I faced with a situation where my previous employer stated 2 months of Notice in the Contract. I doubt any Thai Company will wait two months to take a person. Most of them want the person immediately. In my case, my present employer wanted me to take the job within 1 Month time.

Anyway, on professional grounds, I tried to find-out the answer to the same question.

All of my Thai Friends advised that minimum 1 Month is the normal standard in Thailand and above that will not be legal. I doubt about these advices coz I have already signed the contract. So whether it is the legal requirement or not doesn't matter.

But I talk with the previous Company and manage to terminate it without any problem after giving 1 month of notice.

If no contract, then I will leave at anytime I want. Also this is not possible to do if you have a Work Permit. Having a work Permit means that you have a contract written in Thai/English.