Upgrade From Usb To Ethernet Adsl Modem With Wifi

The Alchemist

Had a quick look through previous modem / Wifi threads and couldn't find anything similar...apologies if I missed anything.

At the moment I have the CsLoxinfo ADSL (512/256) package with the standard USB (Billion?) modem.

Have already bought an SMC ADSL modem / router / WiFi combined unit with aim to (i) improve secrity via it's internal firewall (only rely on Zone alarm software firewall at present) (ii) allow me to use WiFi link to my laptop.

But one important question before I go through the install & configuration process. Currently, I have to "log-on" to CSloxinfo via my current desktop computer (i.e. the one that the USB modem is currently connected to) using the software they included with the modem.

If I change to the above mentioned Ethernet based /Wifi modem, does this mean that to use my laptop elsewhere in the apartment , I will first have to start up my main PC and connect to Cslox?

If anyone has been through similar upgrade process I would appreciate any advice / reassurance you can give.

Thanks.

You set the router as the client, so you put your userid and password for your account there.

You need to set it to PPoE.

Security, set the security key on the wireless section. You can set it normally to anything you like, and you put that key into your wireless lan settings on your laptop.

There should be an "Easy" setup and then you follow the guide.

If worst comes to worst - reset the router and start again.

If I change to the above mentioned Ethernet based /Wifi modem, does this mean that to use my laptop elsewhere in the apartment , I will first have to start up my main PC and connect to Cslox?

No. You just need to have your modem/router turned on. It connects automatically.

Edited by melus

I presume you have a SMC barricade.

put http://192.168.x.x/setup.stm into your browser address bar when you have it plugged in( x.x being the address of the router , probably 192.168.1.1 ) . then go for the wizard - go through the pages filling them out - and you will get to put thailand and a ISP - ( is KSC sammart?) which will allow you to input a username and password.

you will not need to have a PC turned on to conenct wirelessly from your laptop (except the laptop ).

Edited by stumonster

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering CSLoxInfo DSL connection, and am trying to understand what equipment I should either purchase/rent from them, and/or purchase myself. Ideally I'd like to have a single integrated ADSL modem/multiple port (4) ethernet router/WiFi AP device.

Is there such a device? (It sounds as though there is based on the OP's post.) And if so is it compatible with CSLoxInfo's network?

Does CSLoxInfo allow you to connect multiple computers to a single DSL connection, either through the wired ethernet or wireless connections?

I was able to find a few integrated DSL modem/4-port ethernet router/WiFi AP devices:

1. SMC 7904WBRA (b4,350)

2. Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 (b4,990)

3. D-Link DSL-G604T (b3,990)

Does anyone use one of these? Any experiences to share?

I am mainly concerned about the DSL interface, and will there be any issues connecting to CSLoxInfo DSL over a TOT fixed line.

I use this one at home. Supposed to be upwardly compatible with ADSL2. Considering Thai ADSL is still rivaling dialup speed-wise, I am not holding out hope that I'll ever see ADSL2 in Thailand. It's a fine box, runs a bit hot, but it has all the useful features you'd expect from such a box.

I use this one at the office. Also just fine. The web interface 'looks' a little nicer than the Zyxel's, but I can't off the top of my head think of any feature it has over the Zyxel, or vice versa.

Both good boxes, you can't go wrong. Connecting to your ISP is straightforward, both have 'wizards' to walk you through it.

If you buy one and need any config advice, no doubt many people here can offer help, which is most certainly better odds than calling your ISP.

Edited by clokwise

Thanks,

How is the WiFi performance (distance/signal strength)? I am in a multi-story (3) house. Also are the WiFi security options equivalent?

I am leaning towards the D-Link, which seems to have a much larger installed baes worldwide along with resulting complaints, especially with regards to WiFi performance.

I use this one at home. Supposed to be upwardly compatible with ADSL2. Considering Thai ADSL is still rivaling dialup speed-wise, I am not holding out hope that I'll ever see ADSL2 in Thailand. It's a fine box, runs a bit hot, but it has all the useful features you'd expect from such a box.

I use this one at the office. Also just fine. The web interface 'looks' a little nicer than the Zyxel's, but I can't off the top of my head think of any feature it has over the Zyxel, or vice versa.

Both good boxes, you can't go wrong. Connecting to your ISP is straightforward, both have 'wizards' to walk you through it.

If you buy one and need any config advice, no doubt many people here can offer help, which is most certainly better odds than calling your ISP.

Thanks. How's the WiFi coverage with the SMC7804WBRA?

I'm adding the Linksys WAG54G to the mix.

I'm just wondering if I'm giving up performance, specifically WiFi coverage by getting an all-in-one box?

I'm interested in an all-in-one box primarily to simplify management and reduce the number of power outlets required.

Edited by lomatopo

How is the WiFi performance (distance/signal strength)? I am in a multi-story (3) house. Also are the WiFi security options equivalent?

Put the router on the 2nd floor, you should get good reception on the 1st and 3rd. This is exactly the situation I have with the Dlink at the office. You will find your connection goes up and down a bit but it's mostly stable. We bought a signal booster antenae but it seems to have not made a big difference.

I put my Zyxel in the middle bedroom at my condo and can get good reception throughout.

The security is all standard stuff whichever way you go. Whatever OS or hardware you've got, it should work fine.