Utorrent Hogging Bandwidth

Lodestone

ISP: csloxinfo, 1MB ADSL

Modem/Router/firewall: ZyXEL P-660R-T1 v2 (default configuration)

uTorrent operates fine with download speeds maxing at about 100 kbps. The only problem is I essentially can't do any Web browsing while it's running. Sites and pages time out trying to load or don't connect at all I've done some searching and it seems to be related to uTorrent using too many simultaneous connections. I've lowered uTorrent's maximum connections to 50 but that hasn't helped much. I didn't have this problem with my BiPAC modem (now fried from a power surge), so I'm guessing there are settings on the modem to change, but I'm not sure which. What should I do? Thanks.

Make sure your Global maximum upload rate is NOT set to "0" (unlimited). Setting this value too high will limit your ability to browse the web whilst downloading and/or seeding torrents.

Doing the math...

upload speed (kbit) / 10 * 0.80 = Max. upload rate (KB/s)

uTorrent has a nifty feature, Options, Set up Guide, or click on the green check mark. This will analyze your current connection status and adjust all the parameters automagically. On that rate CSLoxInfo line I might go with 70 Kilo-Byes per second down and 35 Kilo-Bytes per second up, unless I had to use other apps, like VoIP, in which case I might halt uTorrent for the duration of the call(s).