Have You Seen This Snake?

Im trying find out if anyone else has experienced any of these snakes near their homes. I live in the northeast and we found a headless dead one so I am not able to identify it, but it has a black body and yellow belly. My wife found pictures of what she thinks it is on the internet and this is what she found. When I first found it, I told my wife its probably not venomous, but if its a King Cobra, then she might be right.I have 6 dogs and Im afraid one of these snakes might pose a risk to them.

post-57363-0-03934800-1289804219_thumb.j

post-57363-0-30387200-1289804227_thumb.j

post-57363-0-33129000-1289804235_thumb.j

The picture in the OP is that of a Monacled Cobra. Very venomous. My Chinese Shar-Pei was killed by a Cobra so definitely a potential threat to digs.

Moonrakers spot on! So called, “Monical” cobra because if you look on the back of it's hood, a patten of a monical eye piece can be seen.

OP....Dogs should be safe, in fact the dogs will help ward off any would be snake visitors, Snakes are not pack animals, they use stealth and cunning to hunt and most certainly do not want an encounter with a dog, or 6. In most encounters with dogs and snakes, it's only dangerous when the dog doesn't know the snake is there, once the dog is aware, they normally go nuts, (the dog!)...but keep there distance. How people get struck in there own garden is just down to a lack of observation. Cobras will let you know there there......If you looking! If you are really worried about snakes there are some simple thing you can do. Keep a dog........check! Keep your grass cut short, don't have a pond, (where frogs can breed, snake food) and don't leave food stocks about.......dye dog food and the like, this will attract vermin, vermin attract snakes.

The picture in the OP is that of a Monacled Cobra. Very venomous. My Chinese Shar-Pei was killed by a Cobra so definitely a potential threat to digs.

Moonrakers spot on! So called, “Monical” cobra because if you look on the back of it's hood, a patten of a monical eye piece can be seen.

OP....Dogs should be safe, in fact the dogs will help ward off any would be snake visitors, Snakes are not pack animals, they use stealth and cunning to hunt and most certainly do not want an encounter with a dog, or 6. In most encounters with dogs and snakes, it's only dangerous when the dog doesn't know the snake is there, once the dog is aware, they normally go nuts, (the dog!)...but keep there distance. How people get struck in there own garden is just down to a lack of observation. Cobras will let you know there there......If you looking! If you are really worried about snakes there are some simple thing you can do. Keep a dog........check! Keep your grass cut short, don't have a pond, (where frogs can breed, snake food) and don't leave food stocks about.......dye dog food and the like, this will attract vermin, vermin attract snakes.

Monacled cobras are not native to Thailand. King cobras are however, they are pretty unmistakable if they are full grown.

Without the head and only a brief discription of the snake it's impossible to make a definite answer. There are lots of snakes that fit that description. However, that does NOT mean it's not a cobra. What you must understand is most snakes try to stay away from humans unless attracted by food or forced out of their home territory by floods or other natural or man-made disasters.

Sometimes you just have to take precautions.

Cloth_snake.sized.jpg

Remember, though, that the OP did not post pictures of the headless snake he and his wife found, but of the cobra they found a picture of.

It is likely to be a King Cobra, but what size was it? at least the amount of body you found.

Don't know about the cobras, but a few years ago I had my dog with me in a little village west of Nong Khai. He was death on snakes. At first I was worried that he'd get bitten - we had the Red Necked Keelback which is very poisonous, although no known fatalities but it's supposed to be painful enough that one might wish for death, and as the dog was much smaller than a person, I was worried.

He spotted one and grabbed it about the middle, shook it sharply from side to side until the back was broken, dropped it and walked away. This was no game for him.

Only problem was that I couldn't teach him the difference between the nasty snakes and the good ones, like Green Tree Snakes. He went after the lot.

Edit [spelling]

Edited by JusMe

Not so sure dogs are safe. A friend of mine had his dog (Golden Retriever) bitten by a cobra in his own garden and the dog died within 20 min.

There are snakes in my garden too, not sure if there are also cobras, because they disappear very quickly when they see me and I am no expert in snakes.

But I also have cats coming regularly to my house (although they don't belong to me), and they are pretty good at defending the house and garden against snakes. I witnessed myself how such a fierce cat chased away a snake who tried to enter our driveway.

<SNIP> A friend of mine had his dog (Golden Retriever) bitten by a cobra in his own garden and the dog died within 20 min.

Not to piss on anyone’s parade :whistling: but a Golden Retriever can’t in any way, shape, or form be compared with even the dumbest thai soi dog as far as what is what here, especially in terms of venomous snakes. It’s like comparing apples to oranges. ;)

BACK ON TOPIC

All the pix posted by the O/P are just internet rips. :(

Possibly a real picture of the dead snake in question, (even sans head :o ); could actually shed more light on the oft times tricky subject of identifying snakes in thailand. Then again, possibly not. ;) ..

My Shar-Pei that was killed by a Cobra was a soppy, docile thing. If we had a break in she'd likely welcome the intruder and make them feel at home.

She probably saw the snake and decided to make a friend, little did she know that Cobra's aren't known for their friendliness.

Monacled cobras are not native to Thailand. King cobras are however, they are pretty unmistakable if they are full grown.

Monacled Cobras ARE native to Thailand and are found throughout the country. They are a common snake and do well in an urban environment. Although the King can do OK in an urban environment, its large size means it is not so common in built up areas.

Of all the Cobra species in Thailand, if you do find a cobra and especially in a town or city, it is most likely to be a Monacled Cobra.

Cobras really vary in colour from almost black to almost white, and everything in between. The most common are a dark grey without any noticeable marking other than on the back of their head. They only open their hood when curious or frightened. Other than that they just look long and dark.

Cobra_017.sized.jpg

King cobras are quite different and don't really flatten their hood when aroused like other cobras. They also stand their ground when confronted. They can reach lengths over 5 meters, but are long and slim rather than fat like pythons. They have no markings on their back or head, but their throat is often pale and blotchy.

Cobra_066.sized.jpg

Cobras really vary in colour from almost black to almost white, and everything in between. The most common are a dark grey without any noticeable marking other than on the back of their head. They only open their hood when curious or frightened. Other than that they just look long and dark.

Cobra_017.sized.jpg

King cobras are quite different and don't really flatten their hood when aroused like other cobras. They also stand their ground when confronted. They can reach lengths over 5 meters, but are long and slim rather than fat like pythons. They have no markings on their back or head, but their throat is often pale and blotchy.

Cobra_066.sized.jpg

How fast can they move though I mean if for example one reared up in front of me and I happened to have a stick in my hand and took a swipe at it is it fast enough to get out of the way? Im not saying i would as Id rather let it run off but are they slow to respond?

Cobra_017.sized.jpg

Cobra_066.sized.jpg

How fast can they move though I mean if for example one reared up in front of me and I happened to have a stick in my hand and took a swipe at it is it fast enough to get out of the way? Im not saying i would as Id rather let it run off but are they slow to respond?

Not to sure how fast they are TM ..but i was driving down the road in the car the other day and one went across the road in front of me..the misses screamed at me to swerve so to miss the snake and so i did ..then she said to me ..run over snake in car will bring you bad luck ..!!

Cobra_017.sized.jpg

Cobra_066.sized.jpg

Not to sure how fast they are TM ..but i was driving down the road in the car the other day and one went across the road in front of me..the misses screamed at me to swerve so to miss the snake and so i did ..then she said to me ..run over snake in car will bring you bad luck ..!!

Yep shes correct for sure, the snakes luck!!!:D

Don't bother finding out... let a lacky down the road sort it. Doubtful as fast as the smaller ones, which are super-fast, but they are pretty switched-on and would probably spit in your eye or nip you while on your backswing if it didn't have an easy out.

Cobras can strike VERY quickly if they actually mean to bite. But, they often make slower, false strikes to keep the intruder out of their space. The smaller, spectical cobra in the photo above actually tapped the lens on my camera. It was mearly telling me to keep my distance. I wouldn't trust a large, King cobra. They are very smart and too big to handle in a scrap. They are actually quite strong. I believe that mature cobras have the ability to inject ,or not inject, venom if they bite. At least they have the ability to limit the amount of venom. Small cobras haven't learned that technique and consequently always inject all their venom.

Thank you all for some very helpful information. I have been asking the wife for the pictures she took of the snake, but she hasnt taken the time to get them off her phone.

The snake was around one meter in length, and my wife said it might be just a baby. I work in the yard every day and I have never seen a snake, but this is good incentive to keep wearing my heavy duty up-to-the-knee rubber boots.