Faxing Through The Internet

Phil Conners

I need to send a fax maybe once every 2-3 months. Not enough to buy a fax machine and I'm too lazy to go to an Intenet cafe to send it.

There are some websites that allow you to send faxes this way. For example I've had a free fax-in number from efax.com for years, but to be able to send as much as a single fax you need to upgrade to their efax plus package at $13/month. That'll translate to an actual cost of $26 per fax for me. Not worth it.

Anyone know of an internet fax solution where you can pay as you go, similar to Skype-out, i.e. prepay something like $10 and then be able to send X number of faxes before having to top-up again?

Edited by Phil Conners

If your PC has a modem why not use this to send faxes from the PC? I use WinFax for short faxes but also have a fax machine for more complicated faxes. I'm sure there is a lot of free fax software about. All you pay is what your phone company charges you for a fax call.

Edited by opalhort

If your PC has a modem why not use this to send faxes from the PC? I use WinFax for short faxes but also have a fax machine for more complicated faxes. I'm sure there is a lot of free fax software about. All you pay is what your phone company charges you for a fax call.

Now that would just cost too little and be too easy. :)

1) My PC doesn't have a modem (what would I use that for?)

2) My telephone connection is in the opposite end of the house, not near any telephone. The house is wired up for LAN, not for POTS :)

I'll check out the Pamfax and Skype suggestions, thanks.

The company I use for my brokerage account will not accept faxes sent via the internet. I tried and it would not produce readable copy.

I use scanner, 56k fax modem and fax software. I then connect to my wired phone line.

I've convinced my brokerage firm to accept secured pdf files as attachments to an email Much better than trying to work out internet faxing, particularly if one needs it only once in a while.

American brokerage firms are incredible old-fashioned. Most can be done through their web interface, but for example fund transfer can ONLY be done by fax.

Trying to explain that fax is no more secure than email is like trying to hammer nails in a wall using the forehead.